Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
It depends. Some employers are more generous than others. Some cover/perk (subsidize) 80% of the premiums.

But the real kicker is what the employer may or may not cover. If you have a non working spouse or children. The employers are under no obligation to subsidize non employees. And those employees may end up paying "full price" to add the spouse and children. This is one of the big doughnut holes in the ACA.

These employees may be screwed. They will have to pay full price on the exchanges even if they make less than 400% for their spouses or children. I'm just surprised the liberal media isn't making a big deal out of this. It can be a huge deal to those (especially smaller employers).

Nurse at old outpatient paid about $100/month for herself (employer "subsidized" $250) each month. Yet if she added just one kid, it became a "family" plan. Than her premiums went from $100 to $1100. Because that employer treated family as 2 or more persons. But the employer did not subsidize the family portion. And it's all legal under the ACA. So even though Nurse is paying way more than 9.5% of her income with the $1100/month payment ($4000 deductible), she is not eligible for ACA subsidies.

I did talk to this nurse recently. She ended up having to quit her job and now working at the hospital which gives her better health benefits. But a drawback is she has to do 2 7am-7pm shifts each week instead of outpatient 7-3pm schedule. So Obama and Pelosi continue their war on women. Nurse is single mom. Because of the ACA she's forced to work more odd hours, spend less time with her kids, have her 12 year old kid looking after her 3 year old son or hiring a babysitter days she's at the hospital till 7pm. Because the ACA made the employer health benefits much more expensive for her.

http://www.zanebenefits.com/blog/bid...ered-Employees
You are making a real argument for a Medicare for all type insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 06:58 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Don't worry. My fellow self employed buds think this loophole will be closed. They will eventually force those self employed to re add the "health care subsidy" you will receive under the ACA back to the W2 wages you pay yourself.

It's just a matter of time. Just ride it while you can.

We all know the IRS is starting to enforce S corps re adding health premiums back to W2 wages we pay ourselves. They will probably do the same for government subsidies for the self employed and not the true W2 employee.
I don't pay myself W2 wages.....who would do that???

Adding money on the 1040 line would make no sense.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You are making a real argument for a Medicare for all type insurance.
You guys can research by posting history. I am right leaning. Anti ACA. I do favor single payer but it has to be an "all in" approach. And the general public has to be aware that compromises have to take place (rationing of care...yes I just had conference this morning about medical ethics.....boy was it a heated discussion about "rationing" of medical care especially at end of life.

So yes, I am anti ACA. People who support the ACA think it's a step towards single payer. It's not. It's going sideways/backwards/zig zag. It's a mess.

If you have single paying. Tell everyone who's making 20K-100K (whatever number 200K). Tell those people suck it up. Pay 8% tax. Have low co pays. Be done with it. You will get a lot of pissed off Democrats thinking it's too harsh on the "poor". You will get a lot of pissed off Republicans thinking they are paying too much. But you than have a fair system. Those who want "private" health can than opt to pay extra for it.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I don't pay myself W2 wages.....who would do that???

Adding money on the 1040 line would make no sense.
Than you aren't an S corp. Most business are S corps, LLC (electing to be whatever they are), C corp, PA, PLLC.

Because you have to protect your liability.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Than you aren't an S corp. Most business are S corps, LLC (electing to be whatever they are), C corp, PA, PLLC.

Because you have to protect your liability.
Nope...I am a sole proprietor.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Nope...I am a sole proprietor.
That's what I figured. To each their own. There are benefits and drawbacks to each business election.

I am LLC electing S corp status. Mainly for legal protection and also to fund a safe harbor IRA.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:11 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
You guys can research by posting history. I am right leaning. Anti ACA. I do favor single payer but it has to be an "all in" approach. And the general public has to be aware that compromises have to take place (rationing of care...yes I just had conference this morning about medical ethics.....boy was it a heated discussion about "rationing" of medical care especially at end of life.

So yes, I am anti ACA. People who support the ACA think it's a step towards single payer. It's not. It's going sideways/backwards/zig zag. It's a mess.

If you have single paying. Tell everyone who's making 20K-100K (whatever number 200K). Tell those people suck it up. Pay 8% tax. Have low co pays. Be done with it. You will get a lot of pissed off Democrats thinking it's too harsh on the "poor". You will get a lot of pissed off Republicans thinking they are paying too much. But you than have a fair system. Those who want "private" health can than opt to pay extra for it.
ACA isn't the end all. Its a make do. But as it is all thats there for now it'll catch on. It will change, morph more toward single payer IMO. And eventually, the costs will force many health insurance companies out.

Rationing? Thats the case now. No insurance, no treatment.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
It is amazing to see conservatives flat out ignore reality.

Reality, 9.5million previously uninsured Americans now have insurance because of the ACA.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

Reality, 9.5million previously uninsured Americans now have insurance because of the ACA.
Haha, now the number is 9.5 million.. thats helll of a sign up because the administration was saying 6 million just a few days ago, and thats AFTER they kicked millions off their policies...

Its completely amazin that people can just pull figures out of their ass and expect others to accept it at face value.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:31 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

lol, Pelosi tweeted about 9.5 million, and when questioned about it, she dove for cover behind the LA Times saying she got that number from reading their story.

One of the leaders of the party that passed this mess, and she knows it's not true. But she's another Dem reading about the government she leads in the papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies