Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If costs will go up, you arent getting a pay raise, you're getting a pay cut. the OPPOSITE of what Obama claimed.

HE LIED, and now you and your left wing kooks are LYING to pretend he didnt
This is wrong. The cost of health insurance has been going up for decades, and workers for the most part have not been getting pay cuts. Companies simply shift employee compensation from paychecks to benefits to pay for the increasing cost of health insurance.

Employee compensation is a mix of benefits and pay. I'll use myself as an example since I know my compensation package, my income is about 80% of my total employee compensation. The cost of social security, pension, 401k matching, health insurance makes up about 20% of my total employee compensation.

So if the cost of health insurance is going up every year at a certain rate then my employer every year has to factor that increase into my total employee compensation so instead of giving me a higher income more of my income goes to pay for health insurance.

And the company projects these costs out into the future. I have seen the financial reports with these projections.

So if the projected costs for heath insurance slow down the company will spend less on my employee compensation then their own projections.

For some employers, the difference between those two numbers can then be applied to that employees income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is wrong. The cost of health insurance has been going up for decades, and workers for the most part have not been getting pay cuts. Companies simply shift employee compensation from paychecks to pay for the increasing cost of health insurance.

Employee compensation is a mix of benefits and pay. I'll use myself as an example since I know my compensation package, my income is about 80% of my total employee compensation. The cost of social security, pension, 401k matching, health insurance makes up about 20% of my total employee compensation.

So if the cost of health insurance is going up every year at a certain rate then my employer every year has to factor that increase into my total employee compensation so instead of giving me a higher income more of my income goes to pay for health insurance.

And the company projects these costs out into the future. I have seen the financial reports with these projections.

So if the projected costs for heath insurance slow down the company will spend less on my employee compensation then their own projections.

For some employers, the difference between those two numbers can then be applied to that employees income.
Its like talking to a brick wall.. Companies increase costs on products so they can pay for higher expenses..

Why dont you just stop lying and admit Obama said premiums would fall.. He didnt at ALL say it would reduce the rate of growth.

Its people like you who made me leave the Democratic Party..

Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Where are the other 43 Million, Bob?

Maybe you should hire Major Ed Dames to help you find them.

Uh-huh...and what reality is that?

You can continue throwing your money away, or you could implement Free Market reforms, and repeal certain provisions of the IRS Tax Code which prevent Americans from profiting off of their catastrophic health plan coverage.

Why are you opposed to Americans at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder having the opportunity to build wealth, and more importantly, pass that wealth onto their children and grandchildren?

Is it because they'll be less reliant on government, or is because the Free Market really does work?

Fail.

A Critical Think would ask, "Why?"

Very bad government policy is why.

It is cheaper for both you and your employer to increase your health plan coverage than it is to increase your wages.

And you have explained it incorrectly each time...I guess congratulations are in order that you adhere so steadfastly to your Talking Points E-Mails.

When you come to understand the Laws of Economics, you will understand that government policies which make it cheaper for you and your employer to increase health plan coverage instead of increasing wages, results in being over-insured for one thing, and it causes Americans to avail themselves more.

1] Technology up to 65%
2] Consumer Demand up to 36%
3] Expanding Health Benefits or Insuring more people up to 13%
4] Healthcare Price Inflation up to 19% (caused by Consumer Demand and insuring more people)
5] Administrative Costs up to 13% (caused by Technology, Consumer Demand and Regulations)
6] Aging/Elderly up to 7%

Source: United States Government General Accounting Office GAO-13-281 PPACA and the Long-Term Fiscal Outlook, January 2013 pp 31-36

That, is reality.

Explaining....

Mircea

It is very difficult to respond to your posts because of the way you structure them.

First off the health care market will not work as a free market. Most health care spending comes from people who are really sick or people with chronic illnesses. Neither of those things gives people the option to just walk away if it is too expensive. So that is why a free market in health care is a terrible and simplistic idea and will not work because the basic premise is if something gets too expensive you can just choose to buy something else apples get too expensive buy oranges, etc but if you are very sick or get injured or have a chronic illness then there are no free market solutions for you.

Now moving on to your other points, you are bringing up points that I have not disputed. You are correct that because of the way that health insurance income is treated that the government favors health insurance income over regular income and thus is contributing to the problem of employers shifting employee income to health insurance.

But it is flat out incorrect to say that government policy alone is why the cost of health insurance and health care in America is increasingly expensive especially when it is known that medicare and medicaid are the LEAST expensive health insurance options on there.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Its like talking to a brick wall.. Companies increase costs on products so they can pay for higher expenses..

Why dont you just stop lying and admit Obama said premiums would fall.. He didnt at ALL say it would reduce the rate of growth.

Its people like you who made me leave the Democratic Party..
Huh? Where did I say companies don't raise prices?

I have clearly explained my point to anyone who reads for comprehension.

Again the $2500 claim was based on slowing down the rate of growth in the cost of health care, President Obama's sloppy language about it notwithstanding. This claim has been fact checked to death.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
I'll have to look at the CBO document in more detail (& why 30 million will remain unsinsured) but it predicts that the ACA will cut the number of uninsured in half from 60 million to 30 million.
http://cbo.gov/sites/default/files/c...eEstimates.pdf

Edit: "The count of uninsured people includes unauthorized immigrants as well as people who are eligible for, but not enrolled in, Medicaid."

Last edited by katzpaw; 04-01-2014 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I'll have to look at the CBO document in more detail (& why 30 million will remain unsinsured) but it predicts that the ACA will cut the number of uninsured in half from 60 million to 30 million.

Edit: "The count of uninsured people includes unauthorized immigrants as well as people who are eligible for, but not enrolled in, Medicaid."
Who cares....it came straight from his mouth....

Quote:
"My plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is that the amount of money you will spend on premiums will be less," Obama said. "If you are one of 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will after this plan becomes law."
Signed obama...

Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
since lefties seem to be pretty slow today, lets hold their hand and baby step them through the numbers.

Obama sold the public on the fact that 30,000,000 were uninsured.. (yes, this was down from the original number of 45,000,000, but that also included illegals)

So if 14,000,000 people obtained insurance, I dont give a rats ass if its through CHIP, Medicaid, or ACA (even though medicaid expansion applications actually go through ACA whcih means you're trying to count them twice),

this would leave 16,000,000 people uninsured.

But the CBO says 30,000,000 people will be left without insurance

So who is lying?
I'll give you some info that you'll ignore or argue with me about.

CBO starts with 55 million non-elderly uninsured. DO NOT ASK ME WHY IT USES 55 MILLION. Then CBO estimates 25 million will gain insurance through exchanges and expanded Medicaid by 2022, dropping the uninsured to 30 million.

I sort of know why Obama switched from 45 million to 30 million, but haven't looked into the super-bloated 55 million from CBO.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:49 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
"The count of uninsured people includes unauthorized immigrants as well as people who are eligible for, but not enrolled in, Medicaid."
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Who cares....it came straight from his mouth....
Quote:
"My plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is that the amount of money you will spend on premiums will be less," Obama said. "If you are one of 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will after this plan becomes law."
Signed obama...
1) Do you consider illegals "Americans"? 2) If people don't sign up for benefits then they don't get them.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:52 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
1) Do you consider illegals "Americans"? 2) If people don't sign up for benefits then they don't get them.
Quote:
"My plan begins by covering every American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies