Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 06:26 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Free speech is a precious right that belongs to all Americans. It is vital to the survival of a free Republic. When the right to free speech is violated by mob action against the speaker, we are a step closer to tyranny.

Proposition 8 supporters in California had exercised their right to express their opinion, via a legal ballot measure. Many had donated money or time or both to that cause. For exercising this right, they had their homes and automobiles vandalized, and were subjected to public ridicule, having been approached and attacked in open public places, even their places of employment.

For a $1000 donation to the Prop 8 cause, Brendan Eich was forced to resign his position as CEO of a private company that he co-founded, and was the brains behind the Firefox browser, and the Java Script language used by nearly every Website on the Internet.

An article that appeared in American Thinker outlines the ramifications of this discriminatory act against Mozilla which was forced by angry mobs of homosexuals who threatened the company with calls, letters, and who knows what else.
Articles: Does Brendan Eich Have a Case Against Mozilla?
The violation of free speech rights has serious consequences for the survival of freedom. It is important that Americans are able to express their views without fear of retribution, especially when those views are expressed via the ballot box, or in open debate.

Recall that supporters of gun rights in New York had their names and addresses published, and were subject to similar actions as the supporters of Prop 8 in California. Is this where we are headed as a nation? Is this "Progress?" This is mob rule.
"Angry mobs of homosexuals"? Seriously?

He was only CEO for 2 weeks before he resigned. 3 directors resigned because of his appointment as CEO and many employees protested his appointment and asked for him to step down as CEO. His views were not the image the company wanted to project to the modern world.

How the heck was his right to free speech 'violated'?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:27 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Leftists ALWAYS demand totalitarian control of the populations they rule.

This is just another step towards that for them.
Yeah, No one has the freedom of speech to disagree. So when you disagree with Obama you are not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Will someone please tell Obummer to stop threatening countries with large arsenals of nuclear weapons?

He should just SHUT UP.

Or maybe he can put a big scare into them and threaten to revamp their healthcare systems.
You are chilling other people's freedom of speech, not allowed.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyler View Post
He helped found Mozilla in 1998, where he was the chief architect. The more you know.

Brendan Eich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, I know all that. But he was only CEO for 2 weeks.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
You best educate yourself. This guy is to the internet, as Al Gore only thought he was in his wildest dreams. Brendan Eich is so humble, so low-key that few knew, know he is the developer of javascript. Javascript is ubiquitous to all sorts of internet commenting and chat forums. LOL, the Glaad thugs were probably using his 'baby' to character assassinate him. The irony.

He was drafted by Mozilla's BOD because they were frustrated in their search for a CEO who would maintain the openness, inclusiveness and freedom that is at Mozilla's heart. He chose to resign, so the mission of Mozilla was not distracted from its mission.

All for a single $1,000 contribution. Another scalp for the ill-informed, mean, vitriolic and personality-disordered mobs. Are we proud of yourselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Did you not realise that he was only CEO for 2 weeks before he resigned?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/currency/2014/04/how-mozilla-lost-its-ceo-brendan-eich.html

I'd say spending $1000 to promote a bill that "Eliminates the Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry" was rather 'mean'.

Clearly it's not the company image that Mozilla wanted to project.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I always love it when people try to creatively redefine the freedom of speech.

The freedom of speech does not protect people from critics, it protects the claimants and the critics speech from government retribution. It does not protect a company from boycotts, people have the right to buy products (or donate their time/money) where they please. It doesn't force others to support people's speech. It doesn't force a company to keep you if the company feels your speech is harming its image.

What always gets me is that people claim pro-gay rights groups are bigots for speaking against groups, or boycotting, but anti-gay groups (like One Million Moms) doing the exact same thing not only are exempt...they get praised. These people don't get that the rest of the world sees the hypocrisy and the only people they are fooling is themselves. Self delusion is a powerful tool for hatred.
I loved it when Ellen (the target of One Million Moms) said "they are only about 40,000 moms, but they rounded it up to nearest million, and I get that".

Old 04-05-2014, 06:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
They'd better quit using their computers and the Internet too, because this man has had a lot to do with Internet and Web site development (including the Mozillla Firefox browser, and the Java Script language that nearly all Websites use).[indent]At a minimum, this has a chilling effect on our personal freedoms. At the extreme -- which is where the left is staking out their territory -- it puts the country on a very slippery slope towards tyranny.

Take a stand and fight fire(fox) with fire(fox) and tell Mozilla what you think:
The exact same thing was done to the Dixie Chicks by the right. I could find many other examples also.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:34 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,238 times
Quote:
Did you not realise that he was only CEO for 2 weeks before he resigned?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/currency/2014/04/how-mozilla-lost-its-ceo-brendan-eich.html

I'd say spending $1000 to promote a bill that "Eliminates the Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry" was rather 'mean'.

Clearly it's not the company image that Mozilla wanted to project.
Does it matter how long he was CEO? He was forced to resign after being made CEO because it was learned that he donated the huge sum of $1000 to the Prop 8 campaign, an egregious "crime" (apparently).

Eich was on the same side as a majority of the citizens of California. Are the majority of the citizens of California 'mean,' in your view?

How do you know what image Mozilla wishes to project? The image they are projecting at this moment is of a company that does not support freedom of speech, or Religious Freedom.

As a foreigner, I don't even really think you have the right to enter the debate.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:34 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
"Angry mobs of homosexuals"? Seriously?

He was only CEO for 2 weeks before he resigned. 3 directors resigned because of his appointment as CEO and many employees protested his appointment and asked for him to step down as CEO. His views were not the image the company wanted to project to the modern world.

How the heck was his right to free speech 'violated'?
Yeah, I asked her on another thread to tell me where these mobs are, but oddly enough, I got crickets.

She just makes stuff up and posts it over and over, conveniently ignoring posters who question about her fantasies.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:35 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,238 times
Quote:
Yes, I know all that. But he was only CEO for 2 weeks.
So what? What does that have to do with anything?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, why wasn't this simply put in the long thread that was already in place on this subject? Your opinion isn't so special as to need it's own thread.
Of course it was. He wanted people to pay attention to his whimpers about angry mobs of homosexuals terrorising the dust bunnies under his bed. He wants everyone to DO something about it. I say we chip in and buy him a dustpan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies