Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
From what I understand, this was not an individual "boycott", but rather a matchmaking website blocking their members from using Mozilla.
You misunderstand then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That sounds like something Hitler would do.
Oh yes. Totally!!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 AM

524 posts, read 400,570 times
I believe in the concept of a free market. People can choose to make a statement with how they spend their money and the products they use. However, this was not done at the will of the people. Like many LGBT boycotts, (as well as others with different agendas), this was perpetrated by corporations. Always follow the funding of a movement/campaign, only then will you find the true agenda.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Capitalism runs America.

This country is not black, white, purple, gay, straight, spanish speaking, or English.

This country is green, baby.

Bigotry is bad for business. Bigots take note.
You have a warped concept of capitalism. Here in America we practice corporatism. Unfortunately we have never had a true free market as it was intended by the founders.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
OKCupid should remove every line of homophobic javascript from their site.
Yeah, I don't see them giving anti-gay marriage Java up!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Capitalism runs America.

This country is not black, white, purple, gay, straight, spanish speaking, or English.

This country is green, baby.

Bigotry is bad for business. Bigots take note.
I agree with you here. If I ran a business my first rule would be to keep your politics and possibly controversial opinions to yourself.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:43 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
After reading an article on this, I have to say that as a gay man, I disagree with the CEO being forced from his job. What he did was on his own time, with his own money. I strongly disagree with his opinion, but I support his right to believe in whatever cause he wants to and his right to support that cause.

What if he had written that check to the other side of the cause (in support of SS marriage) and then social conservatives had boycotted his company and forced him from his job? That would have been wrong too.

This case is very different from Chik-fil-A. In CFA's case, the company was using millions of dollars in company profits to support anti-gay causes. With Mozilla's CEO, he wrote a $1K check, on his own time, from his own account, and it had nothing to do with his company.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,646 times
Default Fascists win victory. Force resignation of Mozilla founder and CEO

Fascists have successfully forced the co-founder and CEO (a brilliant man and the brains behind Mozilla and Java Script) after it was learned he donated $1000 to Prop 8 in California, years ago. This was made possible because of California law that requires names of donors to such efforts be made public.

America, freedom, and free speech, is the loser.

Angry mobs now rule the streets of America, and if they don't get their way, they have the power to destroy lives, and they do not hesitate to use that power. Many supporters of Prop 8 experienced vandalism of their homes and automobiles, were shouted at and ridiculed in public, in front of their places of employment and elsewhere.

Thus is the nature of the Gay and Lesbian left. They are hateful hypocrites and bigots, intolerant of anyone who doesn't agree with them. They destroy lives, commit crime that goes unpunished, and are disrespectful of the rights of others. All the while, they demand respect from the rest of us.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:52 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
Brendan Eich is extremely right-wing. The Prop. 8 donation was minor in comparison with some of his other activities. He could have gotten away with it if he had run Hobby Lobby, but Mozilla is known as a progressive organization. Eich was a bad fit with his customers and employees. With employees resigning and customers leaving, his position was untenable and he had no choice but to go.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 AM

45,590 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Mozilla CEO Resigns Over Support for Gay Marriage Ban

Mozilla Corp., maker of the Firefox Web browser, said Chief Executive Officer Brendan Eich resigned after being criticized for donating money to an anti-gay marriage group.

Eich, who also co-founded Mozilla, became CEO in March. The controversy concerned a $1,000 donation he made in 2008 to a group that supported Proposition 8, a California initiative that banned same-sex marriage and was later found to be unconstitutional.

-------------------------------------

Behind and Beyond the Mozilla Madness: Biden and the ‘Barbarians’

A couple of weeks ago, Joe Biden gave the keynote at a Human Rights Campaign gathering, at which time he said that it is “close to barbaric” that in America today someone can get fired for their sexual orientation or identity.

Biden insisted: “The country’s moved on, the American people have moved on.” And he went on to quote Andrei Sakharov saying, ‘A country that does not respect the rights of its citizens will not respect the rights of its neighbor,” pointing to Russia and the Ukraine today.

--------------------------------------

That should work both ways, Mr. Biden.

You need to talk to the bots that hound people for not agreeing with their life style preferences.

-------------------------------------

Conservatives launch boycott of Mozilla after gays press CEO to quit

Mr. Shapiro has started a movement — complete with petition — to get as many Internet users as possible to “uninstall or cease using Mozilla,” he wrote on his website, TruthRevolt.org, replacing his traditional news content with simply the call-to-arms, Raw Story reported.

He should have done like the Lavabit email guy did - shut it down first and proclaim who is responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies