Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 07:31 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
If we as a nation start hiring people on their political beliefs what will we have?
Groupthink. The same thing that doomed the Challenger Space Shuttle, and killed all aboard.

The Space Shuttle Challenger disaster: A classic example of Groupthink - Case studies in decision making

Old 04-07-2014, 07:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
From the sound of it lately, the backlash has not been so much what he said 6 years ago, the same thing Bill Clinton, GW. Bush, and Barack Obama, said 6 years ago. It is more viral to the fact that he was pushed from his position, as punishment.

Looks like another backfire on the freaks of nature.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,039 times
A sad day in America. Support Homosexual marriage or the Homosexual mafia will come after you.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,258,638 times
Lest we forget - our current leader was running around this country in 2008 (when this person made this donation) claiming that marriage was between one man and one woman. He isn't being punished for that "campaign" today.

If you are a traditional Catholic or Muslim and a business owner in this country, you should be quite concerned. Next up may be your job.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
Oh, gawd. Another thievin', lyin', cheatin', word parsing lawyer. Guess it depends on the word is means, right? This is the court of what is right and this vigilantism was wrong, as sure as the KKK was and is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Not quite yet. I still have a few more law school classes before I sit for the Bar.

It would be really simple to prove me wrong. Quote me the federal law that makes it illegal to fire somebody because of that person's political beliefs/speech/affiliation. If that law exists, it should take about 30 seconds to find it on Google.

Alternatively, you could find the case in which the Supreme Court ruled that the First Amendment applies to private employers. If such a case existed, it too would take about 30 seconds to find on Google seeing as how it would be one of the most important Supreme Court decisions in the history of our nation.

Say what? This is absolute nonsense. The "Bill of Rights" is a colloquial term used to refer to the first 10 Amendments to our Constitution. The Bill of Rights doesn't modify the 1st Amendment, the 1st Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights.

Yeah, it is illegal to terminate an employee because of his or her religion. But again, that legal protection doesn't come from the Constitution - it comes from a statute. It is a statutory protection, not a constitutional one. And even Mrs. Sally Zelikovsky - the women who wrote your article - would agree with me. In fact, she'd agree with me much more than she'd agree with you. You've completely misunderstood her article.

She absolutely agrees with me that rights protecting employees from private employers are statutory rights - created (and capable of being taken away) by congress (or state legislatures) - rather than Constitutional rights. In her article she said:

"First Amendment rights under the Constitution address only the relationship between the individual and the government -- not private enterprise. But through a host of federal and state legislation, laws have been enacted over time that prohibit employers from discriminating against their employees on the basis of certain characteristics and further provide wrongfully terminated employees with legal remedies"

She and I don't disagree about this - you do, and you're wrong. What she and I disagree about is what federal law actually covers. She said this:

"Generally, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employers from discriminating on the basis of race, national origin, color, religion, and gender. Congress later enacted legislation that expanded discrimination to include age and disability. Eventually, discrimination under federal law came to include marital status, sexual orientation and political affiliation, as well."

Her first two sentences are correct. The last one about sexual orientation and political affiliation is absolutely false - it just is. And notice how she never even tries to argue that what people say (their speech) is covered by these anti-discrimination statutes. I have no idea where you got the idea that either the Constitution or statutes make it illegal for employers to fire employees because of what they say.

Lastly, I did some searching, and this lady is apparently a big Tea Party Libertarian - or at least she for some reason thinks she is. Every libertarian I know would be appalled by her article and call her a fascist. Libertarians HATE the laws that give employees these types of protections against private employers. They view them as Big Brother Government sticking its nose in private relationships where it doesn't belong.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,646 times
Great copy and paste from the Mozilla Web site.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
A sad day in America. Support Homosexual marriage or the Homosexual mafia will come after you.
Quote:
Have we really arrived at a point in America when the CEO of a company – or anyone else – can be forced to resign or be fired over his or her thoughts or beliefs – vs. actions?
Incidentally, the group responsible for circulating the petition – Credo Action – says this is “only the beginning.” It has vowed to seek the ouster of “every CEO in America” who fails to openly support “marriage equality.”
I wonder exactly what they mean by "support"?
Is money going to be enough? Will the IRS issue reports on political donations as either a punishment list or an affirmation list? Will it have to be a CEO statement published in the press or a perhaps a Press Conference statement? What about all the Prop 8 donations? Are they going to go after each of these people OR their boss? What about the 7 Million people that voted for Prop 8? Will their voting records be miraculously "leaked"?

Dust Bunnies don't fire people, out of control "activists" looking for some sort of retribution for a $1,000 donation 6 years ago got the founder of Mozilla fired. "It's only the beginning". It's pretty clear that some folks with very loud voices are Out of Control.

I'm will Andrew Sullivan on this.
"Will he now be forced to walk through the streets in shame? Why not the stocks? The whole episode disgusts me – as it should disgust anyone interested in a tolerant and diverse society. If this is the gay rights movement today – hounding our opponents with a fanaticism more like the religious right than anyone else – then count me out. If we are about intimidating the free speech of others, we are no better than the anti-gay bullies who came before us."

Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,646 times
Yes, we are aware of what the Mozilla Blog claims.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
To all you hysterical anti-gay crusaders:

I know you might have to calm down a lot before you will take my word for it, but....

There really AREN'T hordes of rabid vicious homosexuals under your beds terrorising dust bunnies and waiting to jump out and shove dust bunnies down your throats to stop you from saying whatever you want to say.

Go look. Right now.

And better get a dust pan. The dust bunnies are real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Thank you for this excellent post. Much of what you posted, I already knew
You are welcome.

Did you sweep up all the dust bunnies?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:47 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,791 times
It appears that political leanings needs to be added as a protected class, since Liberals seem to be targeting and bullying Conservatives and see no problem with this type of discrimination. The guy was singled out and attacked for holding the same position on gay marriage as Obama in 2008, a man these same people fell over themselves to support at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies