Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 11:15 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
This is the definition of Marriage in my religious belief's.

Marriage is the intimate union and equal partnership of a man and a woman. It comes to us from the hand of God, who created male and female in his image, so that they might become one body and might be fertile and multiply (See Genesis chapters 1 and 2). Though man and woman are equal as God’s children, they are created with important differences that allow them to give themselves and to receive the other as a gift.

There is nothing in there about Man and Man or Woman and Woman. So yes, it destroys my religious belief's.

To me it is greed to want the 1000 + benefits. There is some greed in all of us. But, I am not going to stop a same sex couple for getting those benefits. And like I have already said, I would sign a prop supporting that.

You want to legally be with someone and have those federal benefits - fine. I support that. But, I do not support calling it marriage.
Oh, so you can't tell me how calling someone else's relationship a "marriage" harms you.

I thought not.

Your religious beliefs are yours. Is your faith so weak that calling a gay couple's relationship a "marriage" somehow damages it?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 AM

12 posts, read 23,212 times
The problem with living in a free nation, one where free speech is allowed and a differing thoughts can be expressed, is that you most certainly will be offended. There's no getting around that. That is the price that you pay for your right to free speech and to your opinions. It is not hate speech when one believes that marriage is between a man and a woman. It is not hate speech when one believes that two men can create a family or two women.

I am coming to believe that if we all cannot simmer down and think about the bigger issue -- that we are citizens of a republic where free thought and free speech is what we all want -- that we are moving ourselves toward a country where such freedoms do not exist.

Accept that you will be offended -- both sides. Accept it and be grateful that you live somewhere where than can occur.

And then, move on with your day.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:21 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,694 times
Quote:
This is the definition of Marriage in my religious belief's.

Marriage is the intimate union and equal partnership of a man and a woman. It comes to us from the hand of God, who created male and female in his image, so that they might become one body and might be fertile and multiply (See Genesis chapters 1 and 2). Though man and woman are equal as God’s children, they are created with important differences that allow them to give themselves and to receive the other as a gift.

There is nothing in there about Man and Man or Woman and Woman. So yes, it destroys my religious belief's.

To me it is greed to want the 1000 + benefits. There is some greed in all of us. But, I am not going to stop a same sex couple for getting those benefits. And like I have already said, I would sign a prop supporting that.

You want to legally be with someone and have those federal benefits - fine. I support that. But, I do not support calling it marriage.
Your religious beliefs must be very weak if you think that gay marriage will destroy them.

I would suggest some counseling with your clergy.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:23 AM

872 posts, read 828,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Oh, so you can't tell me how calling someone else's relationship a "marriage" harms you.

I thought not.

Your religious beliefs are yours. Is your faith so weak that calling a gay couple's relationship a "marriage" somehow damages it?
So it's not about being able to be with someone you love and the benefits.

That's what I thought.

If it was, then there would be respect for the religious beliefs on the word, marriage.

Why should it matter to you what it is called - if all you want is to be with the person you love and have the benefits?

Now who is the bigot?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
This does go both ways.

Homosexuals might be jumping up and down because this man lost his job because of his PERSONAL views. But, is this not the VERY thing that you say you are fighting for? The RIGHT to have YOUR PERSONAL VIEWS and NOT be JUDGED because of them?

How do this make me a bigot and not you?
I didn't call you a bigot. You must be addressing someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
There is "no right" for homosexual's to marry. It's all about accept a lifestyle or we will punish you, including destroying your life.
Here you guys go again with the "lifestyle" arguments.

It's a shame that you guys can't see that the train has already left the station. Why are you tying yourself to the railroad tracks so you can get run over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Totally. This is how I feel about the blacks. I use to be on board with their civil rights movement, but then they got all uppity and starting asking for crazy things like reparations. I now oppose civil rights for blacks on all fronts and support their re-enslavement.
LOL...right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The bible is only restating the obvious facts of human society and biology.
Really?

Obvious facts of human biology? Making a woman from a man's rib is biology? LMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
He stepped down because he was being bullied.

He didn't **** off his consumers, he pissed of the very vocal extremists that demanded he resign.

The majority of Californians voted FOR Prop 8.

And yes, it has everything to do with politics.

And my question has STILL not been answered: since Obama and Biden held the same views as he did, should they step down for the best interests of the company?
His own employees wanted him GONE! Why can't you guys get that through your heads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
No, it isn't. The bible has much more to say about marriage than just that one short phrase. Perhaps you should read it sometime.
Read it for what? It's not germane to this topic. The Bible is irrelevant.
Quote:
Because the extreme gay rights movement, do not want Marriage to remain what it is. You are right it is not about these 1000 + benefits, it's not about being with the person that they love, it's about destroying someone's belief to make them feel better. I agree they should be able to have the same benefits. But a marriage is between a man and a woman. Even if they were able to have ALL of the benefits, it would still be a fight because they would want it to be called Marriage.
Times are changing. Get on board. You can't stop it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You and I are solidly on the same side on this issue.

But OICU812 is right....and it is a mistaken strategy to base objection to "gay" marriage solely on the Bible or religion in general. There is sound reason far outside any religious notion to object to this ludicrous re-definition of marriage and to object to society-wide acceptance of the homosexual lifestyle choice as normal.

I am probably the least religious member here and the strength of my opposition to what we're seeing here from the "gay" Gestapo is exceeded by no one.
The "gay Gestapo?"

His own company's employees wanted him GONE! They're members of the Gay Gestapo?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
So it's not about being able to be with someone you love and the benefits.

That's what I thought.

If it was, then there would be respect for the religious beliefs on the word, marriage.

Why should it matter to you what it is called - if all you want is to be with the person you love and have the benefits?

Now who is the bigot?
"Respect" for a word? What on earth is that? Are your religious beliefs so weak that they're only supported by a word? As you yourself just said, why does it matter what a gay couple's relationship is called?

That argument is just silly, which is why I'm addressing it, even though it's not the issue.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Mozilla has created a new glass ceiling.

Starting this week, we have a disturbing new reality. Your private actions outside your job now matter in your job. Mozilla started it. Other organizations will certainly follow. Eich was a model employee, kept his politics at home, and followed company protocol. Mozilla’s protocol even lays it out, giving rules (a) and (b) on what should be done while an employee, and then “(c) when if (a) and (b) are met, other Mozillians should treat this as a private matter, not a Mozilla issue.” He followed the rules. He kept his politics at home and supported equality at the job. This was not enough. He was pressured out. Mozilla didn’t disown and apologize for this, but instead just stated that Eich left for the good of the organization.

Now, thanks to Mozilla, tens of millions of us face a new glass ceiling. We’re being told “You can work at Mozilla. You can follow our company protocol. But you can never be a CEO. Because you don’t *think* correctly in your free time.” I’m worried how many other organizations will copy Mozilla, and just how large this new glass ceiling will become.

I wonder how many Mozilla users were even aware that this company had a mission statement or what their company values are. Probably almost none. People just want to use the product. The reality is that Mozilla caved to fear of a PR backlash from the gay community. This would have never happened a few years ago.

You are right in that many other companies will follow.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I wonder how many Mozilla users were even aware that this company had a mission statement or what their company values are. Probably almost none. People just want to use the product. The reality is that Mozilla caved to fear of a PR backlash from the gay community. This would have never happened a few years ago.

You are right in that many other companies will follow.
The gays claim to be an oppressed and powerless minority. Yet if you offend them, your career is over before sundown. No other modern group or institution (the church, the army, the government, the oil companies) has that power.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,507,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The gays claim to be an oppressed and powerless minority. Yet if you offend them, your career is over before sundown. No other modern group or institution (the church, the army, the government, the oil companies) has that power.
Well, it's not as though he just offended them.

He went out of his way to try to keep them from getting married.

So they went out of their way to make him lose his job.

Why should he be able to use his resources to fight them, but they not be able to punch back?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:48 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Well, it's not as though he just offended them.

He went out of his way to try to keep them from getting married.

So they went out of their way to make him lose his job.

Why should he be able to use his resources to fight them, but they not be able to punch back?
There are tens of thousands of people who supported Proposition 8–do they all deserve to be bullied and persecuted until they lose their jobs? Why stop there? Maybe they should lose their homes, and their families and friends–maybe they just don’t deserve to live?

It is a slippery, slippery slope when a segment of the population decides that its OK to persecute somebody for their personal beliefs. If this were a campaign organized by a conservative group to boycott a company for having a gay CEO, the perception of its fairness would be completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies