Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 10:01 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
It appears that political leanings needs to be added as a protected class, since Liberals seem to be targeting and bullying Conservatives and see no problem with this type of discrimination. The guy was singled out and attacked for holding the same position on gay marriage as Obama in 2008, a man these same people fell over themselves to support at that time.
The IRS isn't the only way to silence the opposition, they've just found another way. People will be afraid to take a stance for fear it will come back to haunt them in the future. That is the intended effect.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
A person of the United States as has a right to vote/support on any proposition on a ballot. This is a right and each person should be treated equally, since it is a right. This means their views should not be used against them, regardless is their views are for or against the proposition.
If you think that should be a law, then lobby for its passage. And if you do, you'll find more liberal support for it than conservative.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
A person of the United States as has a right to vote/support on any proposition on a ballot. This is a right and each person should be treated equally, since it is a right. This means their views should not be used against them, regardless is their views are for or against the proposition.
Once more … you forget that while you're allowed to hold any view under the sun, you are NOT protected from the consequences when society abhors your views.

Only the government is prohibited from punishing Mr. Eich. And the government did nothing at all.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM

872 posts, read 827,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
I don't think any "package" offered him for his forced departure can begin to compensate him for the damage done to his reputation. He will be forever painted as a "bigot" (he is not) and a "hater" (he is not). Who will again hire him?

This was a shameful act on the part of Mozilla. They have destroyed one man's life in order to appease the real bigots, some who still work for the company (although I understand that their numbers within the company represent a clear minority).

I have to say that I wish Mozilla no future success. I look forward to their demise as a leading force in the industry. They no longer deserve the success that Brendan Eich created. He gave the company life. It is now time for Mozilla to retreat and disappear. No company should be allowed to treat anyone they way they treated Brendan Eich.
I can understand how you would have these feelings. But, 2 wrongs do not make a right. Is what they did wrong, yes. Does that mean they should not be successful? No. There are innocent people that this could/can still effect. If we wish them no further success, then we are no better then the ones that forced him to resign.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The IRS isn't the only way to silence the opposition, they've just found another way. People will be afraid to take a stance for fear it will come back to haunt them in the future. That is the intended effect.
Yes, that's one of the ways we conquered Jim Crow. Eventually, society found those laws and the people who believed in them to be abhorrent.

That's what happens when you're a bigot. Enjoy it, but be prepared for the consequences in a civil society.

Or do you believe that no one has the right to protest against your views? Perhaps you believe Mr. Eich is somehow immune to others' exercise of their free speech in protest against him?

I find this cherry picking of free speech rights to be puzzling, coming from people who claim they're the only ones who understand the Constitution.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM

1,074 posts, read 757,824 times
Your childish bullying tactics well noted. Is this the kind of thing that amuses you? This is so 'grade school'! Is this the highest level of your intelligence?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:11 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,532 times
For those who say that they will uninstalled your Mozilla / Firefox browser because of this case, maybe you should also burn your computer.
Google, Apple and Microsoft are all pro same sex marriage.

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Barack Obama told Rick Warren's Saddleback congregation in 2008: “I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian, it’s also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.”

Unlike the civil rights movement of the 60's, there is no biblical grounding for what the homosexuals call "marriage equality." In fact the bible states very clearly that marriage is between a man and a woman. "The two shall become one flesh."

This is why in order to achieve their goal, they must first destroy Christianity, and it's teachings. They attempt to discredit the bible with clever references to other prohibitions in the bible, none of which are relevant. I wonder how they might fare if they attempt to also discredit Islam. They might literally lose their heads!

Neither is there any Constitutional grounding for what they desire, and they are unable to show any harm that has come to them because they cannot "marry."

This is the silencing of "free speech." The destruction of the First Amendment, pure and simple.
The bible is only restating the obvious facts of human society and biology.

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times
If anti-gay folks are going to go out of their way to keep gay people from getting married, why shouldn't pro-gay people go out of their way to make anti-gay folks lose their jobs?

It's both just forms of activism, trying to force your beliefs on others.

Is losing your job worse than not being able to marry the person you love?

The Anti-gay folks are actively attacking the rights of ALL gay people. The pro-gay people are only attacking the few who want to engage in the fight. It seems to me the pro gays have the moral high ground.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 AM

872 posts, read 827,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Yes, that's one of the ways we conquered Jim Crow. Eventually, society found those laws and the people who believed in them to be abhorrent.

That's what happens when you're a bigot. Enjoy it, but be prepared for the consequences in a civil society.

Or do you believe that no one has the right to protest against your views? Perhaps you believe Mr. Eich is somehow immune to others' exercise of their free speech in protest against him?

I find this cherry picking of free speech rights to be puzzling, coming from people who claim they're the only ones who understand the Constitution.

It is obvious you feel no one has the right to protest against your views. If that was not the case, you would not continue to repeatedly call people bigots. If someone does not agree with you, they are a bigot. Do you realize you have called multiple people, multiple times bigots. And based on what someone has typed in response to a post.

The truth is, if this man marched in a gay pride or anti gay march has nothing to do with his job.....UNLESS he was doing it on company time.

Last edited by Tassy001; 04-07-2014 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies