Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:54 AM

260 posts, read 605,622 times

Advertisements

Tens of thousands of innocent people died as a result of gang wars during Prohibition. Many more have died as a result of the "War on Drugs", begun in the 1970's by Nixon.

For those who support Drug Prohibition, Have you looked at the statistics? What is your goal, anyways? To minimize the number of deaths?

Here are some undisputed facts:
  • Most people who try such drugs such as heroin, cocaine, etc., do not get addicted. A very small percentage become addicts.
  • Of the people who die as a result of drugs use, most die as a result of AIDS or overdose, both of which are, arguably, a result of the illegal ingestion method itself, rather than the intrinsic nature of the drug itself.
  • So-called "Psychedelic" drugs such as LSD, Peyote, Psilocybin (mushrooms), are physically harmless, Many even have long-term positive cognitive effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 03:25 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,700 times
Hmmm ... in the first decade of the twentieth century drugs were legal and taxed. Why did the Gov make drugs illegal and take away a tax revenue source? Addiction. Not just low life folk ... but the population as a whole.

In the title of the thread, the OP wants to "Legalize all Drugs"... again. Ironically, the next part of the title asks the rhetorical question, "Did we not Learn from Prohibition?" Using OP's logic train ... we will have learned nothing from a lesson we learned the hard way over a hundred years ago.

And as far as ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
Here are some undisputed facts:
I need to see the source/s of this information. Methinks that these "facts" come from questionable sources.

El Nox

Old 04-05-2014, 03:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Problem with this prohibition or war on drugs is we are paying a lot of money for something that doesnt work, People who want drugs have no problem acquiring their drugs of choice.All we are doing is letting criminals and the black market make all the profits.
I dont see any problem with legalizing all drugs as people going to do em anyway.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Problem with this prohibition or war on drugs is we are paying a lot of money for something that doesnt work, People who want drugs have no problem acquiring their drugs of choice.All we are doing is letting criminals and the black market make all the profits.
I dont see any problem with legalizing all drugs as people going to do em anyway.
I hope you feel safe driving your automobile.

El Nox

Old 04-05-2014, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I hope you feel safe driving your automobile.

El Nox
We're talking drugs not automobiles.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
We're talking drugs not automobiles.
What a pity that you find my comment beyond your comprehension.

El Nox

Old 04-05-2014, 04:17 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
What a pity that you find my comment beyond your comprehension.

El Nox
People high on everything driving is a scary thought isn't it?

Old 04-05-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
The problem is more people will do them and young people tend to think that legal = right. The war on drugs is really a war to stall when the young people who will use drugs start using drugs. Making access easier will not help here.

Young people (below the age of 25) don't realize that their brains are still developing and that drug use (including marijuana which affects the white matter in the developing brain) can permanently alter the brain's structure. We are having a bad enough problem with alcohol and should learn from that that legalizing a drug doesn't make the problems with that drug go away. It just makes it easier for kids to get their hands on the drug as it's in their own homes.

I think if we legalize drug use, we have to do it in a controlled environment. You go to the drug bar, turn over your car keys and then use what you want but you must stay until you are clear headed enough to drive yourself home or someone comes to get you and you cannot take the drugs out of the establishment. However, I see this getting abused all over the place. Drug dens that will sell to teens, patrons who will take the drugs out and give them to teens...

There is no perfect system here. We have to choose the one that does the least harm even if it is the most expensive one.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
People high on everything driving is a scary thought isn't it?
Do you really think that drug laws keep any one from driving under the influence? I'm more worried about the clueless idiot that drives around with a cellphone stuck in their ear.

Last edited by jambo101; 04-05-2014 at 04:51 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Do you really think that drug laws keep any one from driving under the influence?
I think they reduce the rate. Nothing will eliminate the risk but right now, you can be arrested if they suspect you are high and pulled from the road. With all drugs legal, they'll have to show you're over the legal limit. I feel better knowing that the police can err on the side of caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies