Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:04 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I hope you feel safe driving your automobile.

El Nox
Antihistamines and other drugs sold over the counter can make you sleepy. So I hope you are driving safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:10 AM

5 posts, read 10,859 times
Most people that think Pot is going to be legalized think that everyone is going to openly smoke it and what not. What is going to happen is that if it does get legalized there will still be laws around it. Its going to be treated like Alcohol. Cant smoke and drive. Cant be under the influence. Etc. Just like when concealed and carry was passed. Everyone thinking that they could walk into there bar/restaurant/business with a gun was treated to a no-gun decal. People are going to smoke pot whether it is legal or not plain and simple. I smoked pot when it was illegal. I have since stopped and if it does get legalized, im not running out to by it because I DONT WANT TO. People need to stop thinking that just because it is legalized, everyone will start lighting up. They are not. Alcohol is legalized and there are people that WILL NOT drink and if pot is legalized there are people that WILL NOT smoke. Get it.

Last edited by lonewolf83; 04-05-2014 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: typeo

Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I believe accidents increased in 2013 or 2012. Slightly.

In states where marijuana was legalized medcinally, traffic fatalities decreased by 9%. A significant number of lives saved.
Overall traffic fatalities have decreased a heck of a lot more than 9%, so the question is why the pot States decreased less than others.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-05-2014 at 11:41 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I want to put the users in jail, not the sellers. The users are the pimples on the ass of society. Sellers aren't mugging people, burglarizing houses, holding up convenience stores, skanky hooking on your street corner to get more money for drugs --- users are. Dry up the customers and the seller goes out of business. I would have prisons (more jobs to build them, maintain them) just for users so they are only in prison with other users just like they are. Their rehabs can happen behind bars.
But we already are over taxed from trying to maintain the most imprisoned society in the world. Where is the tax money coming from to build more prisons to house people caught using illegal drugs? You would also need to find more tax money to hire more undercover officers to go underground and catch the users.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The progressive mantra, of keeping us safe from ourselves, while frowning on not being able to collect their taxes and make their money on drugs.
"Tough of crime" and excessive law enforcement is actually a conservative mantra.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
"Tough of crime" and excessive law enforcement is actually a conservative mantra.
To me it's more like an authoritarian right mantra.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 10,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
Tens of thousands of innocent people died as a result of gang wars during Prohibition. Many more have died as a result of the "War on Drugs", begun in the 1970's by Nixon.

For those who support Drug Prohibition, Have you looked at the statistics? What is your goal, anyways? To minimize the number of deaths?

Here are some undisputed facts:
  • Most people who try such drugs such as heroin, cocaine, etc., do not get addicted. A very small percentage become addicts.
  • Of the people who die as a result of drugs use, most die as a result of AIDS or overdose, both of which are, arguably, a result of the illegal ingestion method itself, rather than the intrinsic nature of the drug itself.
  • So-called "Psychedelic" drugs such as LSD, Peyote, Psilocybin (mushrooms), are physically harmless, Many even have long-term positive cognitive effects.
Question? If there are Millions of Addicts in Society and they didn't get addicted to Heroine or Cocaine then what drugs does this "Small Percentage" get hooked on? That statement was probably made by someone who has never done drugs.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:43 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So beer and marijuana are different how?
They are completely different.

Suppose you and I are coworkers. On Friday, we decide to stop in at a local pub for a pint on our way home. We could order a Guinness, shoot the breeze for a half hour and get back in our cars without any fear of being intoxicated.

Now let's suppose pot was legal as well. The next Friday we decide to stop in a smoking lounge and share a couple bowls. If we both aren't intoxicated to the point where driving is irresponsible, we'd complain we got ripped off.

Furthermore, both alcohol and marijuana can be produced with very little expertise for either. In fact, making alcohol is as easy as dissolving 5 pounds of sugar in 5 gallons of water, adding yeast and letting it sit in a warm room for two weeks. Now why doesn't anyone do this? Because people drink alcohol for the taste. Even during Prohibition, people passed up on cheap bathtub gin to get their hands on quality whiskies smuggled in from Canada. Fortunately for the government, I do not have the expertise nor means to distill spirits, nor do I have 10-15 years to wait until the product matures to the point where is is good enough to satisfy my tastes. I also am not willing to run the risk of going blind by accidentally producing methanol. So I buy my whiskey from government outlets.

Smokers, on the other hand, use pot simply for the effect. Now assuming weed is legal, why would I buy it from a government outlet when I can set up a 400 watt bio operation in my basement and grow 1 to 2 lbs of premium finished product every 16 weeks with little to no effort or expense? Furthermore, why not set up a couple 1000 watt operations, harvest 2.5 to 5 lbs of finished product every 16 weeks, and undercut the government's price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf83 View Post
Question? If there are Millions of Addicts in Society and they didn't get addicted to Heroine or Cocaine then what drugs does this "Small Percentage" get hooked on? That statement was probably made by someone who has never done drugs.
Cocaine use was fairly common among people I knew in my twenties. Out of the ten or so people I knew who used it recreationally on a semi-regular basis, around half of them developed addiction to the drug to the point they required rehab. Those of whom graduated to the pipe or needle almost universally became addicts. I have personally never known anyone who used heroin nor ever heard of anyone selling it. That likely has to do with the fact I grew up in a predominantly white, middle-class suburb and heroin was seen as a "ghetto drug" used used by prostitutes and general ne'er-do-wells.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:44 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
i don't believe that drug should be legal, why would you want to go throughout life, of not all of your senses, being in a ****** up mindset. but I do understand the only purpose of the war on drugs to have more cops on the payroll. more union dues, more money from government. its doesn't have anything to do with drugs. they could stop all the drug traffic by locking down the border, yes some troll going say that not possible but in reality it is. they just don't want to.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:48 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Anyone that ingests an intoxicant to alter his/her state of mind is mentally deranged and needs to be locked up and studied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies