Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 11:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times

Advertisements

What we learned was the numbers addicted to alcohol drug. Each year it wrecks numerous lifes and kills more than wars.what happened to lets tax the dopers thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:57 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Overall traffic fatalities have decreased a heck of a lot more than 9%, so the question is why the pot States decreased less than others.
Do you happen to have a source for that?

I haven't looked hard, but from what I've found states that passed medical marijuana had less traffic deaths than those that didn't.

It is speculated that a portion of the population that used to drive drunk now drive high, and driving high is less dangerous than driving drunk according to several studies.

Here's where I got the "medical marijuana states have lower rates of traffic fatalities" report, although granted it's not the original study:
Why Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Traffic Deaths | TIME.com

I can look up there drunks vs marijuana driving research, but anyone should be able to look on the internet to find it themselves. Youtube has a few videos of the research.

Unless one is really, really high, pot use doesn't appear to result in higher levels of traffic accidents. This is because people who are high tend to realize it and drive a lot slower and more carefully.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:42 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
Drugs should be legalized simply because keeping them illegal has failed miserably and completely. Anyone can get anything they want, as long as they can pay the price (and the price, especially for street drugs like Heroin had gotten pretty cheap.)

The only thing the prohibition has succeeded in doing is creating very powerful, well funded, criminal organizations, ranging from local street gangs to vast multinational syndicates. These present a bigger problem to society than the addicts. Legalizing drugs would have the effect of sucking the fuel (money) out of them that allows them to operate.

Legalization could be done in such a way that any increase in use could be deterred, mainly by eliminating any advertising and promotion, and by putting non-judicial sanctions on users.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Anyone that ingests an intoxicant to alter his/her state of mind is mentally deranged and needs to be locked up and studied.
You have somewhere to hold a couple hundred or so million people?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Do you happen to have a source for that?

I haven't looked hard, but from what I've found states that passed medical marijuana had less traffic deaths than those that didn't.

It is speculated that a portion of the population that used to drive drunk now drive high, and driving high is less dangerous than driving drunk according to several studies.

Here's where I got the "medical marijuana states have lower rates of traffic fatalities" report, although granted it's not the original study:
Why Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Traffic Deaths | TIME.com

I can look up there drunks vs marijuana driving research, but anyone should be able to look on the internet to find it themselves. Youtube has a few videos of the research.

Unless one is really, really high, pot use doesn't appear to result in higher levels of traffic accidents. This is because people who are high tend to realize it and drive a lot slower and more carefully.
In 1980 there were 22 deaths per 100K people, and in 2012 there were 10, a 55% decrease. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811630.pdf The claim that stoned drivers are safer that sober ones has been debunked countless times here, so I am surprised people still buy that BS. There are less fatalities because cars are safer, not because people are driving stoned. Are you kidding me?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You have somewhere to hold a couple hundred or so million people?
Devil's Island is a good place to start.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In 1980 there were 22 deaths per 100K people, and in 2012 there were 10, a 55% decrease. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811630.pdf The claim that stoned drivers are safer that sober ones has been debunked countless times here, so I am surprised people still buy that BS. There are less fatalities because cars are safer, not because people are driving stoned. Are you kidding me?
I didn't claim that stoned drivers were safer than sober ones.

I claimed stoned drivers were safer than drunk drivers.

So the theory is that drunk driving has to some degree replaced by stoned driving, which is comparatively safer.

I'll take a look at your stats. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Drugs should be legalized simply because keeping them illegal has failed miserably and completely. Anyone can get anything they want, as long as they can pay the price (and the price, especially for street drugs like Heroin had gotten pretty cheap.)
Making killing others illegal hasn't stopped that either. No the only legitimate reason is because someone wants to do it and as long as it doesn't affect you its really not your call.

Quote:
The only thing the prohibition has succeeded in doing is creating very powerful, well funded, criminal organizations, ranging from local street gangs to vast multinational syndicates. These present a bigger problem to society than the addicts. Legalizing drugs would have the effect of sucking the fuel (money) out of them that allows them to operate.
No it wont. I posted the link earlier where the black market is still thriving in Colorado despite and possibly because of legalization. At $250 plus and ounce legally there is still a ton of profit there for those who still wish to sell on the street corner.

Quote:
Legalization could be done in such a way that any increase in use could be deterred, mainly by eliminating any advertising and promotion, and by putting non-judicial sanctions on users.
Non judicial sanctions? Write "I will not smoke pot" a hundred times on the chalkboard?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I didn't claim that stoned drivers were safer than sober ones.

I claimed stoned drivers were safer than drunk drivers.

So the theory is that drunk driving has been replaced by stoned driving, which is comparatively safer.

I'll take a look at your stats. Thanks.
And irrelevant.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Devil's Island is a good place to start.
I figured you weren't being serious but why the desire to control others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies