Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We the people are our own law enforcement. If you see a concern, it is up to you as an American to confront your problems, not let someone else fight your battles. Which led to the phrase, "pick your battles wisely"
Thanks for sharing your personal opinion, but the Constitution calls for certain things such as: , establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare.

Yes, we do need law enforcement, since not everyone is able to protect themselves and their property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is no expectation that law enforcement will ever eradicate all crime, but it does not mean we should just give up. Only losers do that. What if the Dutch gave up on maintaining their levees, because they have not caused the ocean to pull back? Law enforcement is like a levee, which holds the water back. Everyone knows the water isn't going to disappear, and neither will crime.

comparing pot to levees...

you should be comparing pot prohibition to alcohol prohibition.. alcohol prohibition was a total failure!!! just like the prohibition of pot is a total failure.. their is more pot available, more strains, and more quantities of weed than any time in the past... that is a total^^^ failure in my book!!!

Old 04-08-2014, 06:22 AM

126 posts, read 142,574 times
There going to have a hard time trying to criminalize this ....
Smoking Bed Bugs to get HIGH - YouTube

Old 04-08-2014, 09:42 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk35 View Post
There going to have a hard time trying to criminalize this ....
Smoking Bed Bugs to get HIGH - YouTube

legalize weed and less people will smoke bed bugs like I've said before, leave it to the teenagers and chemist to find new ways of getting high..

I wonder what smoking a centipede would do

Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
legalize weed and less people will smoke bed bugs like I've said before, leave it to the teenagers and chemist to find new ways of getting high..

I wonder what smoking a centipede would do

And because of prohibition we're finding that these teenagers (and adults) are resorting to more dangerous ways of getting high! Spice is an example! Supposedly has qualities similar to cannabis, but I'll tell ya, I wouldn't touch that s*** with a 10 foot pole!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks for sharing your personal opinion, but the Constitution calls for certain things such as: , establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare.

Yes, we do need law enforcement, since not everyone is able to protect themselves and their property.
That's the preamble to the Constitution. That part is NOT a legal document.

Preamble | Define Preamble at Dictionary.com

pre·am·ble

[pree-am-buhl, pree-am-] Show IPA
noun1. an introductory statement; preface; introduction. Synonyms: opening, beginning; foreword, prologue, prelude. Antonyms: epilogue, appendix, conclusion, afterword, closing.
2. the introductory part of a statute, deed, or the like, stating the reasons and intent of what follows.
3. a preliminary or introductory fact or circumstance: His childhood in the slums was a preamble to a life of crime.
4. ( initial capital letter ) the introductory statement of the U.S. constitution, setting forth the general principles of American government and beginning with the words, “We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union. …”

Old 04-08-2014, 11:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
That's the preamble to the Constitution. That part is NOT a legal document.

Preamble | Define Preamble at Dictionary.com

pre·am·ble

[pree-am-buhl, pree-am-] Show IPA
noun1. an introductory statement; preface; introduction. Synonyms: opening, beginning; foreword, prologue, prelude. Antonyms: epilogue, appendix, conclusion, afterword, closing.
2. the introductory part of a statute, deed, or the like, stating the reasons and intent of what follows.
3. a preliminary or introductory fact or circumstance: His childhood in the slums was a preamble to a life of crime.
4. ( initial capital letter ) the introductory statement of the U.S. constitution, setting forth the general principles of American government and beginning with the words, “We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union. …”
It is a part of the supreme law of the land, and it explains what the Constitution is designed to do, and one of those things is an instruction to insure domestic tranquility. It is one of the few duties the US government has.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-08-2014 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 11:27 AM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
The question is are we better off with them being legal or illegal. With slavery, we have direct victims. With drugs, really not. I don't consider drug users victims. For whatever reasons, they chose to start using them. They have to live with the consequences. Also, I think they can be legalized, without significantly increasing use. Why, because anyone who wants to buy/use drugs now can, very easily. I wouldn't allow advertising/promotion/marketing, so there would be nothing to drive higher use.

As far as putting the dealers out of business, it could be done very easily. There are a lot of costs/risks involved with bringing drugs in illegally. Most of the drugs are simple, quick, and cheap to make (if you're in the pharmaceutical business), and could be made here (or legally imported) at a small fraction of what it costs for the cartels to make them and smuggle them in. Just sell them at a moderate fixed markup to their legal production/distribution costs, and you can radically undercut the illegal suppliers. You would also have fixed, guaranteed purity and potency, which would cut down on ODs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Stoner Logic 101.

Last time I checked, human trafficking were thriving business as well, despite being 100% illegal. Are you saying that slavery should be legalized as well because "anyone can get anything they want, as long as they can pay the price"?

I personally believe marijuana possession should be decriminalized, but you'll never see me get on board with wide-open legalization of hard drugs. Harlem's heroin heydays of the 60's and 70's were not all smiles and sunshine despite the history revisionism being portrayed in this thread.

I really don't see how legalization will ever put organized crime out of business unless the government plans to hand out these drugs for free. Why should some worthless junkie be eligible for free cocaine and heroin so he spend his useless life getting high when the rest of us have to pay for prescriptions that actually keep us healthy? I'd much rather see marijuana decriminalized, hard drug users sentenced to mandatory military service and the traffickers immediately executed upon summary conviction. It would certainly save more money than putting them into already overcrowded prisons and the crime rate might even drop.

This shouldn't be news to anyone with an IQ larger than their shoe size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies