Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There will be litigation, Taxpayers will be on the hook for one side of that, at minimum. Which side will win is sheer guesswork, but the usual result is that the taxpayer gets reamed. It is rarely the case that the sheep eats the wolf.
Fair enough regarding the litigation costs. The constructions costs though...
Again, not likely.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
As usual.............you anti "wingnuts" will forget about this when the taxpayers have to eventually foot the bill and go on to the next great project that is ginned up to get you frothing about how wonderful it all is and hey lookie here no taxpayer dollars go to it. LOL. Gimme a break. You seem like a smart guy so why play the game of BS? You as well as I know who will end up digging that old girl out of the pit and pay for it. Hey may be the state or may be the fed...........contractor will run to his congressor and say save me...........and congressor will say pay me.......and so it goes.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
As usual.............you anti "wingnuts" will forget about this when the taxpayers have to eventually foot the bill and go on to the next great project that is ginned up to get you frothing about how wonderful it all is and hey lookie here no taxpayer dollars go to it. LOL. Gimme a break. You seem like a smart guy so why play the game of BS? You as well as I know who will end up digging that old girl out of the pit and pay for it. Hey may be the state or may be the fed...........contractor will run to his congressor and say save me...........and congressor will say pay me.......and so it goes.
So do you have anything specific to say about this topic?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-22-2014 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So do you have anything specific to say about this topic
What specifics do you need? Big gal is buried because you liberals wanted a hole dug. Simple stuff. All a big waste of time. Now you pretend you are the only one who knows anything about it all and play smart guy like liberals do. It is mind boggling. Just say eh that was a stupid idea but no you can't admit it. Never will just shove it under the table and go on to the next stupid idea.

Hey if you bray loud enough folks will forget about this and you can waste billions trying to run a hi speed rail up the west "earthquake" coast. Yes you will probably get your way. Lot of stupid folks who will bob their heads. Long as you pay for it I don't care.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-22-2014 at 11:22 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 10:41 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,999 times
Quote:
It doesn't always mean cheaper construction. Car engines have seen technology increase, quicker, more efficient, but it isn't cheaper to repair.

Also, this project is about digging a deep tunnel under an urban downtown. This is not an easy or cheap project, but replacing the Alaskan Viaduct as well as constructing a new seawall was going to be a massive undertaking for the city. Not something the city of Seattle could just let some corporation to do it for them privately.
Wasn't talking about repairing things. I was talking about producing. And wasn't comparing the cost of this project to a bridge in 1963.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-22-2014 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 04-22-2014, 10:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Wasn't talking about repairing things. I was talking about producing. And wasn't comparing the cost of this project to a bridge in 1963.
Advances in technology doesn't mean things are always going to be cheaper.

And I wasn't comparing this project to a bridge in 1963 because they are like comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-22-2014 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 04-23-2014, 07:07 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
It's actually a great idea. If you've ever been on the Seattle waterfront, you know an elevated four-lane hi way runs right over the top of it. When finished (and it WILL get finished), Seattle will have a terrific new ped-friendly waterfront. Just like San Francisco, which tore down an earthquake-damaged freeway to open up its waterfront years ago.

But I guess the wingers think it's a bad idea, because the boring machine is a Democrat, or something?

Sorry if I got that wrong- I have trouble making sense out of their arguments.
Where did anyone say that the machine is a Democrat? I suppose it would be tough to make sense out of others' arguments if you're hearing imaginary voices in your head.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:11 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Ask any Bostonian. They LOVE the results of their Big Dig. It's transformed the city in many ways, all of them amazing.

Tourism is booming, the city has parks and greenways where an ugly interstate used to be, traffic flows better, commute times are improved, and brand new commercial districts are flourishing near these beautiful areas. I presume the OP has never been to Boston before or after the dig and therefore only knows what he reads on the Internet.

Debacle? I don't think so. GOOD results matter.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Yet they are also the economic engines of this country, go figure.

Well when companies are given huge tax breaks on the backs of the people....

Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Hey when you're spending someone else's money, price is no object
But only in liberal cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies