Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 01:53 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Irrelevant strawman.

It is simply not debateable. Any costs associated with voting are unconstitutional. It doesn't matter what type of petty logic you use. The ID, the birth certificate, even the stamp. Any fee for the act of voting is unconstitutional.
really..,..show me where.....

the voting areas are TAX FUNDED..therefore a cost.....oooppps there goes that arguement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
really..,..show me where.....

the voting areas are TAX FUNDED..therefore a cost.....oooppps there goes that arguement
Thta has got to be the dumbest example of logical contortionism I have seen on any thread in quite a while.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:00 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Thta has got to be the dumbest example of logical contortionism I have seen on any thread in quite a while.
but it works

the fact is liberals have to stop being two-faced

Old 04-25-2014, 02:02 PM

16,605 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
$3, $30, $50 … makes no difference. According to the Constitution, anything above $0.00 is unConstitutional.

End of discussion.
I get so sick of this interpretation. For instance the ruling was to prevent poll tax scheme, not say that since an ID used for all sorts of things cost money, it falls under the same category.
Heck taken to it's absurd conclusion, a person should be able to walk up to vote completely naked. Any rule requiring clothing would then be unconstitutional because clothes cost money. I assume that would be your take on it, right?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I get so sick of this interpretation. For instance the ruling was to prevent poll tax scheme, not say that since an ID used for all sorts of things cost money, it falls under the same category.
Heck taken to it's absurd conclusion, a person should be able to walk up to vote completely naked. Any rule requiring clothing would then be unconstitutional because clothes cost money. I assume that would be your take on it, right?
Nice strawman response.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If that is true, why are tax payers footing the bill for voting machines and the such.
A complete red herring. This has nothing whatsoever to do with making it harder for specific individuals to vote.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You miss the point.

Poll taxes were not unconstitutional because they cost. They were unconstitutional because they discriminated against certain classes of people, violating the equal protection clause.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but it works

the fact is liberals have to stop being two-faced
This is where conservatives will always be at a disadvantage. They believe it is somehow wrong to have different standards for different situations. The universe is nuanced. Conservatism is not.

Reality leans to the left.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:11 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
A complete red herring. This has nothing whatsoever to do with making it harder for specific individuals to vote.
This is not making it harder for anyone but delusional people and we can see it has affected some on these boards.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
But isn't that a catch 22.
Perhaps you should read the book. You do not appear to understand what a catch 22 is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin
Does not one have to prove they are a citizen. How do you prove that,
except by birth certificate or citizenship papers. And if you have that, you might as well get a
pic ID.
"You might as well" is not actually an argument that stands up in court or generally to critical scrutiny. The act of proving citizenship often takes place years and decades before the event of voting. A lot can happen in the interim, to include losing those original citizenship documents.

It happens all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin
For the likes of me, I don't know why anybody would not have some form of photo I.D.
in 2014 other than children and the very very old, over 90.
Your personal inability to comprehend something is unlikely to ever be recognized as the legal standard of what is or is not true. Perhaps now would be as good a time as any to accept that simple fact.

I'll ignore your mug shot joke, giving you the benefit of the doubt that it was a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies