Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 02:28 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
This is not making it harder for anyone but delusional people and we can see it has affected some on these boards.
You are simply, objectively wrong. Here's a little light reading to correct your misconceptions on that issue:

Enjoy becoming smarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 02:28 PM
fre

109 posts, read 76,721 times
Default Catch 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How to get a Massachusetts birth certificate, for more than $120.00?

https://usvitalrecords.org/massachus...FY3m7AodNQcApw

And from the link on how to order your birth certificate
Quote:
ID requirements must be met before you receive your requested vital certificate. You will receive an email within one week of submitting this application with instructions on how to send a copy of your government issued picture ID. The ID must be of the person requesting the vital certificate.
Can't get an ID without a BC and can't order the BC without an ID.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre View Post
And from the link on how to order your birth certificate

Can't get an ID without a BC and can't order the BC without an ID.
Now THAT is a "Catch 22!"

Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Wrong... it says MAY... and if you call them and explain, then you won't... stop with the deceit...

Old 04-25-2014, 02:41 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
A complete red herring. This has nothing whatsoever to do with making it harder for specific individuals to vote.
I was responding to the "cost associated with" argument.
But really, how hard is it for someone to get a photo id in this day and age?

Frankly for cost and all other reasons, if you show up in person to vote, you should have
to prove who you are by a PIC ID.
And if you don't have a pic, vote by mail, requesting an absentee ballot.
If you are homeless, I'm sure you have major concerns other than voting.

If our young men at age 18 have to register with selective service by law, it is the least we can
ask that our voters show proof of who they are when it comes time to vote,
since they are electing Congressmen and Presidents that send our kids off to war.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:45 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

Frankly for cost and all other reasons, if you show up in person to vote, you should have
And if you don't have a pic, vote by mail, requesting an absentee ballot.
If you are homeless, I'm sure you have major concerns other than voting.

If our young men at age 18 have to register with selective service by law, it is the least we can
ask that our voters show proof of who they are when it comes time to vote,
since they are electing Congressmen and Presidents that send our kids off to war.
Nope. It just doesn't work that way.

Rights do not have to be proven, sorry. Voting is a right. If you want to deny someone their constitutional citizen right, you must provide proof.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:47 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You are simply, objectively wrong. Here's a little light reading to correct your misconceptions on that issue:

Enjoy becoming smarter.

No thanks , it's common sense and if you can't figure that out then you have serious issues. I am asking YOU personally why is it so hard for one to obtain a voter ID .

Old 04-25-2014, 02:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Have to say, from my viewpoint, it does seem that way. Not only are we allowing people to just use the honor system to register to vote but we're hamstringing ourselves in even proving voter fraud is happening because no proof of citizenship is required at any point in the process from registration to actual voting. Makes it awfully easy to commit large scale and largely undetectable voter fraud.
I hold voter registrations in PA, OH, Fl and Illinois where I own houses.. I easily could vote 4 times in every election.. I wonder if the left would approve of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Irrelevant strawman.

It is simply not debateable. Any costs associated with voting are unconstitutional. It doesn't matter what type of petty logic you use. The ID, the birth certificate, even the stamp. Any fee for the act of voting is unconstitutional.
Go argue with the Supreme Court that you shouldnt be required a birth certificate..

Old 04-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And you were doing so incoherently. There is no relationship whatsoever between the argument against a "poll tax" and the payment for voting infrastructure which effects every voter identically in terms of their ability to exercise the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin
I just provided a rather lengthy webliography that provides you with an opportunity to answer that question authoritatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin
Your opinion is noted. It is at variance with this court decision, and all the actual evidence.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Nope. It just doesn't work that way.

Rights do not have to be proven, sorry. Voting is a right. If you want to deny someone their constitutional citizen right, you must provide proof.
Okay, but that's not the case with other rights. When states have passed laws against various ownership or carrying of guns, they didn't "prove" anything to deny that right, they just did so because they claimed it was for the general good. Thus, wouldn't it be for the general good to only have citizens voting so we do not subvert the voting process in this country? Shouldn't requiring proof of citizenship or proof of who you are be reasonable to protect the voting process in this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies