Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you always supported gay marriage?
Yes, I have always supported gay marriage 88 41.71%
No, I've only in recent years changed my mind became a supporter 34 16.11%
No, I don't like it, but I no longer oppose it because opposing it is a lost battle 7 3.32%
No, and I still oppose gay marriage 48 22.75%
Other (please state) 34 16.11%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,370,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As usual, lots of non sequitur comments coming out of the woodwork. The subject is whether posters' personal opinions about same sex marriages have changed over the years.
No. I grew up with a lot of gays and I always viewed them as just regular people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:36 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,821,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As usual, lots of non sequitur comments coming out of the woodwork. The subject is whether posters' personal opinions about same sex marriages have changed over the years.
I thought that the subject is whether or not our political views about gay marriage have changed over the years.

Political views does not equal personal opinions. For instance, someone might hypothetically personally find the idea of a gay marriage to be disgusting or whatever but still support legalized gay marriage.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:26 AM

33,605 posts, read 18,260,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
No. I grew up with a lot of gays and I always viewed them as just regular people.
They are people that believes the lie that they are gay. It is an act that they participate in. It is an activity not an identity.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 AM

778 posts, read 827,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They are people that believes the lie that they are gay. It is an act that they participate in. It is an activity not an identity.
I've heard some people believe they lie that they're straight, but that's just not true. It's an act, not an identity. If they stop sleeping with people of the opposite sex, BOOM. They can just wake up gay one morning.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,063,328 times
Quote:
Being Christian is an activity.

Being Gay, straight, bi, pan, etc. is part of who you are.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:46 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,029,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I look at like this. Not my business what 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home. Not my business if 2 consenting adults want to commit to each other. Not my business to stop them, judge them, or cause them any duress.
I certainly wouldn't want Preacher Bob looking in my windows telling me what was right or wrong in my household. I think everyone should have the same exact rights. Gay people want to get married. Why not? Who does it harm? It doesn't even harm those trying to tell others how to live their lives. Don't like gay marriage? Then mind your own business.

Yep!

Old 05-06-2014, 12:18 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,274,572 times
Quote:
God controls all of it. As I said he is everywhere.
That is your opinion based on your faith and you are absolutely entitled to both. Why should your opinion and your faith be allowed to infringe upon those who believe differently? Does 2 people you don't even know committing to each other change your own marriage or anyone else's?
In the end, if your faith is valid then your god will sit in judgment of those who violate his law. If he is all powerful, he doesn't need mere mortals to do his job for him.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:34 PM

6,423 posts, read 1,464,467 times
I voted, no - and I still oppose gay marriage. Luckily, it is illegal in my state.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:40 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,475,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I voted, no - and I still oppose gay marriage. Luckily, it is illegal in my state.

Well honestly it's not like your part of the country is exactly known for letting go of its backwater views easily.

"Slow to change" is not always a virtue. Jesus Christ y'all fought a war to be able to keep people as property.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 PM

5,737 posts, read 3,271,205 times
and you need to ask yourself, what is the real motive for them "supporting" it?
It's the money stupid.

you really think Hillary and Barack Obama changed their position because "they evolved"?
Hillary needs the money for her presidential campaign and Barry needs their support because every other person is starting to drop him.

I've noticed in the past when democrats started to lose office, they quickly jumped on the gay bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
With several Republican lawmakers changing their views on the issue, virtually no Democrat left in the Senate that opposes gay marriage, and society as a whole swing towards a pro-LGBTQ sentiment, I thought it'd be interesting to see if the trend was noticeable on CD as well.

Is attitude towards gay marriage changing? Has your attitude towards it changed and why?

By always, I am talking about in your adult life. If you were a 10-year-old boy and grew up anti-gay in the 1970s, I wouldn't say you've necessarily changed if you've been pro-gay marriage since you started voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies