Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you always supported gay marriage?
Yes, I have always supported gay marriage 88 41.71%
No, I've only in recent years changed my mind became a supporter 34 16.11%
No, I don't like it, but I no longer oppose it because opposing it is a lost battle 7 3.32%
No, and I still oppose gay marriage 48 22.75%
Other (please state) 34 16.11%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:10 PM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Who cares if it's called marriage. Marriage is a farce these days. Heterosexuals get married and divorced in the blink of an eye. It means nothing anymore. So tell me why "marriage" is so sacred that it should only be allowed for heterosexuals.

Means nothing and yet same-sex marriage advocates will settle for nothing less.

So much for an honest dialogue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Who cares if it's called marriage. Marriage is a farce these days. Heterosexuals get married and divorced in the blink of an eye. It means nothing anymore. So tell me why "marriage" is so sacred that it should only be allowed for heterosexuals.
Speak for yourself! I very much value my marriage and work hard to keep it strong. Twenty-five years and counting.

As for whether or not equal marriage rights should be extended to same-sex couples, I've already stated that I've yet to encounter a compelling reason to oppose it, and nothing in this thread has changed my mind.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:08 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
Here's the thing:

Whether or not you believe marriage is solely a religious thing, the state has been a part of it every step of the way.

Therefore there is no actual way to separate the two. Anyone who advocates for such lives in a fantasy world where they think their opinion actually matters.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:21 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Here's the thing:

Whether or not you believe marriage is solely a religious thing, the state has been a part of it every step of the way.

Therefore there is no actual way to separate the two. Anyone who advocates for such lives in a fantasy world where they think their opinion actually matters.
Which is my stance: as long as the government puts forms in front of you and forces you to check boxes that play a role in your ability to get food, water, medicine, shelter, etc by all means do whatever it takes to manipulate the system.

But my hope is the government just leaves me alone.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:38 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Here's the thing:

I think it is possible to set up a legal structure that handles things similarly to the way marriage is handled now, only more inclusively and equitably. I think it could be based in contract law and be a marked improvement.

However, like you, I just don't see it actually happening any time soon. My tendency is to say that we should start advocating this level of reform as soon as we have a Libertarian President, and one house of the Legislature majority Libertarian. Unless something like that happens (I know, flying pigs, the devils needs a sweater, etc... ) Until then, we should be pursuing marriage equality within the framework that we have. There is no excuse for leaving it as is just becasue we can't achieve Libertarian Utopia overnight...

-NoCapo

Old 05-04-2014, 06:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
I support full equality for the LGBT community.

Although I have reservations about the "institution" of marriage and it's relevance in the 21st Century ... I think if same sex couples want to get married, let them.

Let me also offer the opinion that within a year 2, 3, or 4 more states will legalize it; and within just a few more years it will be legal nation-wide. It is an idea whose time as come.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:23 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Sure. I like this plan for the following reasons:

1-Everyone gets true equality without treading on anyone else. Gays would have equal rights (as they should) and the Government would not be trying to violate the definition of Marriage against The Will of the People (again gays deserve equal rights, not special rights. Society should not be forced to cater to their lifestyle).

2-It is the ultimate Conservative stance, it is the ultimate small Government stance. This is what conservativism is truly about. The Government would not be involved in Marriage in anyway whatsoever or vice versa, that's the way it should be.

3-I personally oppose Government efforts to redefine Marriage as I am a devout Christian and I cannot support something that goes against my values. But with the Seperation of Marriage and State my values are not being jeopardized nor are the rights of homosexuals, everyone is getting what they want without treading on the rights and values of others.

4-This is the best way to actually protect the definition of Marriage. The Government would no longer concern it's self with trying to redefine it as it would no longer be an issue.

5-I don't really care what people want to call their relationship, I already live in a state that allows gay marriage. I just don't believe that the Government should define it, it should be strictly a religious thing between Man and his God.
So, you are a devout Christian who approves sexual immorality, and who thinks anarchy and conservatism are the same thing, and that the best way to protect the definition of marriage is to eliminate it. Oh, and you also said the relationships should be non-legal contracts where government should have no part, and at the same time they should be legal contracts which are recognized by the State and where the State should provide for marriage benefits.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
And.....??

Are you saying that people in SSmarriages should never, ever, get divorced?
What I said is that this spiritually acclaimed, sexually exploring narcissist opposed his own brief 'gay' marriage.

An Episcopalian bishop, previously married with 2 kids, 'discovered' he's gay. Divorces wife, abandons his family. Then 'marries' a man for 6 years. Then divorces him.

No death does him apart from anybody. Staying together in good times or bad times? Oaths, vows, promises, are for others.

He's indeed a true poster boy & trail blazer for your cause.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:25 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
All I know is that opposing SSM will get you fired, get you hounded to the ends of the earth and likely will get you hung in effigy.

so for the sake of not getting run down, tarredandfeatheredandpeedonontheplaygroundigiveint othebullyhereismylunchmoney!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 03:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
I look at like this. Not my business what 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home. Not my business if 2 consenting adults want to commit to each other. Not my business to stop them, judge them, or cause them any duress.
I certainly wouldn't want Preacher Bob looking in my windows telling me what was right or wrong in my household. I think everyone should have the same exact rights. Gay people want to get married. Why not? Who does it harm? It doesn't even harm those trying to tell others how to live their lives. Don't like gay marriage? Then mind your own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies