Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you always supported gay marriage?
Yes, I have always supported gay marriage 88 41.71%
No, I've only in recent years changed my mind became a supporter 34 16.11%
No, I don't like it, but I no longer oppose it because opposing it is a lost battle 7 3.32%
No, and I still oppose gay marriage 48 22.75%
Other (please state) 34 16.11%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:15 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,303,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Until five-six years ago I used to be strongly in favor of civil unions instead of marriage and I couldn't really understand why it mattered so much to gay people that their unions be called "marriage" the same as straight people's. I thought as long as civil unions gave people the same legal protections, why should it matter. Apparently it does matter to them so I have come around to thinking that society shouldn't spend so much time and energy trying to keep people who love each other apart. I still don't understand, but if one word over the other matters so much, then let it be. The world is too full of wars, hate and violence to fight about people who only want to love each other as legal spouses.
I have always supported same sex marriage but at the same time felt that civil unions as you describe would be a fair compromise. But then came to the realization civil unions giving full marriage equality could only come about by an act of Congress. Since Congress seems to accomplish very little these days, and Civil Unions not even on the radar (at the Federal Level) I am glad that the courts are acting. It could take years or decades before Congress would ever act, and gays deserve better then that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:58 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
On the other hand, Mormons sometimes have multiple religious marriages but can only have one legal spouse.
No they don't. That would be fundamentalist offshoots of Mormonism. The two are completely different. Real Mormons today would be excommunicated for having "multiple religious marriages."

Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Homosexuality and heterosexuality are not equal. Equal means, "the same as." And they obviously aren't. My issue with homosexual marriage is the perversion of the term, "equal."
No couple is inherently "equal".

Having that measure as a pre-requsite for marriage is idiotic.

HOwever, we should extend equal rights to any couple able to legally consent.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:38 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Honest question then, why not just sign a contract (same thing but without vows)
Because a contact is not the same thing as civil marriage but without vows (not to mention a civil marriage requires no vows). Couples can't simply contract many of the benefits (legal rights) of civil marriage into existence. I can't write a contract with my boyfriend such that I can sponsor him for a spousal immigration visa. I can't write a contract with my boyfriend giving me the power to sue in court for wrongful death should be be murdered or killed negligently at the hands of another. I can't write a contract with my boyfriend allowing me to live in base housing or shop at the base commissary should he join the military. Etc, etc, etc.....

And also, I believe in the Constitutional promise of equal treatment under the law. How is it equal to automatically give heterosexuals some 1000+ legal benefits when they simply sign a marriage license while requiring homosexuals to hire lawyers and write out pages and pages of contracts in order to secure a fraction of the legal benefits automatically conferred to heterosexuals?

Quote:
why not be ok with civil union or something?
I could care less what the name of the law is. All I care about is equal access to it. I'd be totally fine if we changed "Civil Marriage" to "Civil Union." But right now the law is called marriage, so I want gay marriage. If we change the name of the law to civil union, then I want gay civil unions. If we the name of the law to lakjdfoad, then I want gay lakjdfoads.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,263,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I have never changed my position.
Marriage should not be regulated by the state.
If you want all the "controversy" to disappear then get the govt out of marriage.

I find it comical, in a sad way, that the left is always saying "stay out of my bedroom" then they want the government to sanction marriages. What exactly do they think is gonna happen?
Someone still doesn't get it.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:56 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,263,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Im sick of hearing about homosexuality in general. Ive long opposed gay marriage but Im done. Its a lost battle at this point and not worth fighting over anymore.
Thank the social conservatives. They wanted this to be a state by state issue. We're not even halfway there. So buckle up.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:01 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
When the ex and I separated (she left me for "greener pastures") in 1994 and divorced, she made a 12 year career of alienating me from my three daughters. By 2008 I had made a great deal of headway in reestablishing relationships with them. By then they were 32, 24 and 20. My middle daughter came out to me that year and my response was simply, "It is what it is. You're my daughter and I love you."

A year later we met her partner whom we (my current wife and I) really like and two years after that they married in Boston since they couldn't in California at that time. They have a marvelous, loving and mutually supportive relationship and we're extremely happy for both of them. They're really good, responsible, hard working people.

Prior to all that I was not in favor of gay marriage but seeing them together made me realize that love is love regardless of gender and everyone deserves happiness. While it flies in the face of my religious beliefs I am always reminded that government shouldn't be in the marriage business but for taxation purposes anyway and that can be handled by civil unions. The ultimate decision should be between the couples and their faiths if they have one. It's not for me to judge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
You fell in love with a guy?
How original, do you think you're clever? If you don't love Jesus than you can't really love anyone. Sorry it's the truth.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:06 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I have never changed my position.
Marriage should not be regulated by the state.
If you want all the "controversy" to disappear then get the govt out of marriage.

I find it comical, in a sad way, that the left is always saying "stay out of my bedroom" then they want the government to sanction marriages. What exactly do they think is gonna happen?
But how, exactly, do you keep the government out of marriage. For better or worse, marriage is, first and foremost, a legal relationship. Marriage determines questions about the custody of children, the disposition of property, the right to make end-of-life decision. All of these questions can lead to huge conflicts. How would these conflict be resolved if marriage had no legal meaning?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:09 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
If you don't love Jesus than you can't really love anyone. Sorry it's the truth.
Which, while being the most ridiculous thing I've read today, really has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:16 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Segregationists closed down all public schools to oppose desegregation. Your scorch earth tactic is nothing new.
What ''scorch earth tactic''? What segregationist? What are you talking about? I didn't state anything of the sort.

I clearly stated my personal position on this, which is that I disagree with the lifestyle but believe in the Seperation of Marriage and State. Basically Civil Unions for everyone, straight and gay alike. Marriage should be strictly a religious thing and the Government should not recognize it in anyway. The term ''Marriage'' should be dropped from The Law all together.

This would kill the issue entirely. It is wrong to deny gays of equal rights (hence not special rights which is what some of them want), but it is just as wrong to try and use the Government to redefine and violate the definition of Marriage against The Will of the People. And it is just as equally wrong for gay activists to be intolerant of others who disagree with them (Mozilla CEO, Christian Bakery, St Patricks Day Parade etc....) and try to force their lifestyle onto everyone else.

Tolerance is a two way street, if you want your rights to respected then you need to start respecting the rights of others, including those you don't agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies