Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you always supported gay marriage?
Yes, I have always supported gay marriage 88 41.71%
No, I've only in recent years changed my mind became a supporter 34 16.11%
No, I don't like it, but I no longer oppose it because opposing it is a lost battle 7 3.32%
No, and I still oppose gay marriage 48 22.75%
Other (please state) 34 16.11%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:29 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Just like you made a sweeping generalization by telling us the left is against religion?
True, that is what we are told that the left is against religion. I see a lot of forum members attack religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 01:41 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
True, that is what we are told that the left is against religion. I see a lot of forum members attack religion.
I'm an atheist. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no problem with religious people as long as they keep their religion private and don't try and impose it on others. Pray to God, Allah, Odin or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I'll think it's silly, but I don't care. Unfortunately, many religious people seem to want to take their religion and force everyone else to live by it whether they agree or not.

It's obvious from your posts on this forum that we don't agree on a lot, but I will say I respect your opinion on the gay marriage issue. I wish more people on the other side of the fence felt the same way.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:42 AM

69 posts, read 96,089 times
Nope. Don't support it. I'll treat gay folks with kindness and respect but I don't agree with their lifestyle. Definitely not allowing them marriage. Nor can I EVER be convinced that being gay is like being black.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:51 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I have never changed my position.
Marriage should not be regulated by the state.
If you want all the "controversy" to disappear then get the govt out of marriage.

I find it comical, in a sad way, that the left is always saying "stay out of my bedroom" then they want the government to sanction marriages. What exactly do they think is gonna happen?
Ding! That's the answer.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:08 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I'm tired of hearing about it. Don't care either way.

Ditto. It should have been an option in the poll.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
I find it funny that the left who is against religion fights so hard for gay marriage.

Me, I could care less about the issue.
I think they are actually trying to separate marriage from religion, which is part of the effort to eliminate religion alltogether.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-04-2014 at 05:47 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 05:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Marriage is a civil contract between two individuals. It has to be kept free of any religious restrictions under the Law.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:39 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
Quote:
Honest question then, why not just sign a contract (same thing but without vows), why not be ok with civil union or something? But like I said, I could care less about the whole thing. Actually, I'm ok with it, why not, people who love each other and care about each others well being. It's what life is all about anyway.

ssshhh, I'm on the right, a conservative, so don't tell anyone.. the left tells me I'm supposed to be totally against it.
Simply put, a contract doesn't have the same legal weight and recognition as a marriage certificate.

That, and marriage is not completely owned by religion, therefore not completely a religious institution . And there are some religions (even Christian) homosexuals who prefer to get religiously married, and the government can't recognize one group's legal right to marry and deny another's.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:25 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think they are actually trying to separate marriage from religion, which is part of the effort to eliminate religion alltogether.
Religious marriage and legal marriage are already separate. No one is trying to make laws and rewrite state constitutions to prevent atheists and agnostics from getting legal marriages because they aren't religious. They get married all the time without any interference from fundie types. On the other hand, Mormons sometimes have multiple religious marriages but can only have one legal spouse.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:56 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,303 times
Homosexuality and heterosexuality are not equal. Equal means, "the same as." And they obviously aren't. My issue with homosexual marriage is the perversion of the term, "equal."

If homosexuals want to get married, then they should do what they want as that is a private agreement between two people. Just stop trying to use the state to force society to accept it and sanction it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies