Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you always supported gay marriage?
Yes, I have always supported gay marriage 88 41.71%
No, I've only in recent years changed my mind became a supporter 34 16.11%
No, I don't like it, but I no longer oppose it because opposing it is a lost battle 7 3.32%
No, and I still oppose gay marriage 48 22.75%
Other (please state) 34 16.11%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:28 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But how, exactly, do you keep the government out of marriage. For better or worse, marriage is, first and foremost, a legal relationship. Marriage determines questions about the custody of children, the disposition of property, the right to make end-of-life decision. All of these questions can lead to huge conflicts. How would these conflict be resolved if marriage had no legal meaning?
Simple, drop the term Marriage all together from the Government and The Law and just have Civil Unions/Contracts to everyone, straight and gay. Marriage should just be a thing among Churches, Synagogues etc... with no legal bearings or recognition by The State.

Like I've been saying all along, Separation of Marriage and State. It would kill this whole issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 12:35 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Simple, drop the term Marriage all together from the Government and The Law and just have Civil Unions/Contracts to everyone, straight and gay. Marriage should just be a thing among Churches, Synagogues etc... with no legal bearings or recognition by The State.

Like I've been saying all along, Separation of Marriage and State. It would kill this whole issue.
Did you not hear what the poster just told you? How would you resolve issues like child custody, inheritance, and end-of-life decisions if there is no legal contract?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,702 times
Quote:
What ''scorch earth tactic''? What segregationist? What are you talking about? I didn't state anything of the sort.

I clearly stated my personal position on this, which is that I disagree with the lifestyle but believe in the Seperation of Marriage and State. Basically Civil Unions for everyone, straight and gay alike. Marriage should be strictly a religious thing and the Government should not recognize it in anyway. The term ''Marriage'' should be dropped from The Law all together.

This would kill the issue entirely. It is wrong to deny gays of equal rights (hence not special rights which is what some of them want), but it is just as wrong to try and use the Government to redefine and violate the definition of Marriage against The Will of the People. And it is just as equally wrong for gay activists to be intolerant of others who disagree with them (Mozilla CEO, Christian Bakery, St Patricks Day Parade etc....) and try to force their lifestyle onto everyone else.

Tolerance is a two way street, if you want your rights to respected then you need to start respecting the rights of others, including those you don't agree with.
Segregation proponents also claimed that closing down all public schools would kill the issue completely. White people would rather close down all public schools than allow their kids to go to the same schools as black kids.

Again, your scorch Earth tactic is nothing new. You thinly veiled your hate isn't fooling anyone. We've seen your argument before. Many times in the history of hate. It's actually a wonder that people like you continue to use the exact same argument generation after generation.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:45 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:

You know what else would kill this whole issue? Just letting them have it.
It's been the law here for a long time and nobody talks about it any more. It isn't an issue at all.

You know what else? Nobody has tried to marry their dog or horse or polar bear. Surprise!!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:

Why? The word in itself "marriage" is not religious. A "civil marriage" is not a religious marriage.

Besides, who is gonna call their parents to tell them "we are getting unioned!" Saying "we are getting married!" has a better ring to it.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why? The word in itself "marriage" is not religious. A "civil marriage" is not a religious marriage.

Besides, who is gonna call their parents to tell them "we are getting unioned!" Saying "we are getting married!" has a better ring to it.
'Hey, handsome....are you unioned?'

Old 05-04-2014, 12:50 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Segregation proponents also claimed that closing down all public schools would kill the issue completely. White people would rather close down all public schools than allow their kids to go to the same schools as black kids.

Again, your scorch Earth tactic is nothing new. You thinly veiled your hate isn't fooling anyone. We've seen your argument before. Many times in the history of hate. It's actually a wonder that people like you continue to use the exact same argument generation after generation.
Stop the hyperbole, I have not advocated any hate or Segregation (not even connected to this issue). Do you have any actual counter arguments or are you just going to spew more rants again?

My argument is Civil Unions ONLY for EVERYONE. Marriage should not be recognized or have any legal bearings by The State in anyway at all .

Old 05-04-2014, 12:54 PM

204 posts, read 317,096 times
?

Where is option "'I've only in recent years changed my mind became an opposer"

Old 05-04-2014, 12:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You know what else would kill this whole issue? Just letting them have it.
It's been the law here for a long time and nobody talks about it any more. It isn't an issue at all.

You know what else? Nobody has tried to marry their dog or horse or polar bear. Surprise!!
I'm going to try to marry a polar bear. Double whammy for the conservatives: as a male I'll marry a male polar bear.

Is it possible to go to hell twice?

Old 05-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm going to try to marry a polar bear. Double whammy for the conservatives: as a male I'll marry a male polar bear.

Is it possible to go to hell twice?
Take a video of your wedding night. I'd pay to see that.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies