Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you always supported gay marriage?
Yes, I have always supported gay marriage 88 41.71%
No, I've only in recent years changed my mind became a supporter 34 16.11%
No, I don't like it, but I no longer oppose it because opposing it is a lost battle 7 3.32%
No, and I still oppose gay marriage 48 22.75%
Other (please state) 34 16.11%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times

Advertisements

I think the first choice is interesting. It never even used to be discussed. Did those of you who chose that option really support it then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:32 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,878 times
This poll is a bit biased in it's questions, it's certainly slanted.

To answer your question, mine have changed quite a bit. When I was in high school (I'm 24) I supported same sex marriage fully, simply because it was kind of trendy to do so and I thought all my peers were supporting it to, and the fact that so many Hollywood celebrities supported it so I just naively went along with it (I suspect many same sex Marriage supporters are doing so for the same reasons above). I was also a secular Jewish Atheist at this time.

When I left high school and discovered the real world (though one could certainly argue that College is not the real world) my views begun to change. I also came to know Jesus and fell in love with Him so I converted to Christianity. I started to be more honest with my true opinions, the was a part of me that always knew there was something a bit not right about gay marriage, I always disagreed with the lifestyle but I never and still don't have any hatered or fear or bigotry towards homosexuals. I love them as they are my neighbor.

I remember though, I had a dream one night. Maybe God sent it to. me. I was at a wedding in a forest and none of the people there recognized, like they wouldn't even acknowledge I was there, like I was invisible. Except for one guy who told me ''We're just here to observe'' so I did. I saw a beautiful woman getting married to her husband, and then it flashed forward and I was in their house and they had kids and a family. It felt right, like this was how God designed it. I woke up and thought about it, and realized that gay marriage will never produce that, it's just not the same, it is not part of God's design. Call me a bigot if you want, I can assure you that I'm not, just sharing my own experience and how my opinion has changed. I respect and tolerate homosexuals, though I certainly disagree with their lifestyle but God is the true judge and it's His ultimate decision. He knows their sin but he also knows their hearts.

Today I adopt the view of Seperation of Marriage and State. Basically Civil Unions for everyone, straight and gay alike. That would kill this whole issue and everyone would get what they want.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:37 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,996 times
Default Has your attitude towards gay marriage changed over the years?

Yes. Years ago, I thought it was a silly idea. Then, I just didn't much care about it one way or the other. Now, I have no objection to it.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:14 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,912 times
I have changed my views on Same Sex marriage. From my childhood, through my mid 20's I was a fervent Fundamentisit Christian, and as such was absolutely opposed to gay marriage. I bought into everything that the FRC, Focus on the Family, and Rush Limbaugh were selling about the evil gay conspiracy.

Through a combination of actually meeting and interacting with gay people, and the process of losing my faith, I realized that the only thing I could come up with to try to deny equality under the law to this category of people was a faith I no longer believed in. So I changed my mind. At this point, I am firmly for marriage equality, although my preferred form is to make legal marriage a simple contractual matter open to N consenting adults of any gender. Realistically, I don't think that is going to happen, so I will settle for the government recognizing same sex marriages, although I do think poly relationships are going to need to be considered in the next decade or two...

It boils down, for me, to being unable to look a the bright, loving, creative, generous people I know, who happen to be attracted to the same gender, and feel right about trying to tell them that their love, their passion, their relationships are somehow worth less than mine. I can't just can't do it, because in my gut I know that that would be a lie. They should be free to be buried with their spouse, they should not have to jump through hoops to adopt or to deal with medical issues, none of it. Honestly, to me this is an important enough issue of basic human decency that I can't sympathize with those who argue that the only acceptable solution is to remove the government from marriage. I agree that that is the best way, but it is also setting an almost impossible bar, and saying that these people have to wait, have to be denied their rights, because of unrelated ideological concerns. It doesn't sit well with me at all...

-NoCapo

Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
I grew up in a household with zero tolerance towards homosexuality and I still continue to have trouble accepting it. However, I don't see why any civilized society should ban homosexuals from getting married since it doesn't harm my well being anyways. So I guess I'm a strong homophobe who strongly supports legalizing gay marriage.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:25 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,547,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
so I converted to Christianity
Nothing else was needed to be said.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:28 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,041,078 times
Im sick of hearing about homosexuality in general. Ive long opposed gay marriage but Im done. Its a lost battle at this point and not worth fighting over anymore.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:29 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I never passed any law. And I'm not on the right either.

If you support government approved marriage then you can expect government making laws that regulate behavior related to sex. Including sodomy laws. Don't complain. It's what you asked for.

It's like when people say "stay out of a woman's reproductive area" but then supports government take over of health care. What exactly do they expect?

If you don't want anti-sodomy laws and the like stop supporting candidates that want to interfere in personal relationships.
No, it's what you ask for. Anti-sodomy laws were here first and didn't get declared unconstitutional until 2002.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:31 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,756,963 times
my opinion hasn't changed. gay people are cry babies. they also refuse to admit the reason they want the state contract. for financial gain. when the first gay comes forward and simply admits that the issue of gay marriage is about money, I might change my mind.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:33 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
This poll is a bit biased in it's questions, it's certainly slanted.

To answer your question, mine have changed quite a bit. When I was in high school (I'm 24) I supported same sex marriage fully, simply because it was kind of trendy to do so and I thought all my peers were supporting it to, and the fact that so many Hollywood celebrities supported it so I just naively went along with it (I suspect many same sex Marriage supporters are doing so for the same reasons above). I was also a secular Jewish Atheist at this time.

When I left high school and discovered the real world (though one could certainly argue that College is not the real world) my views begun to change. I also came to know Jesus and fell in love with Him so I converted to Christianity. I started to be more honest with my true opinions, the was a part of me that always knew there was something a bit not right about gay marriage, I always disagreed with the lifestyle but I never and still don't have any hatered or fear or bigotry towards homosexuals. I love them as they are my neighbor.

I remember though, I had a dream one night. Maybe God sent it to. me. I was at a wedding in a forest and none of the people there recognized, like they wouldn't even acknowledge I was there, like I was invisible. Except for one guy who told me ''We're just here to observe'' so I did. I saw a beautiful woman getting married to her husband, and then it flashed forward and I was in their house and they had kids and a family. It felt right, like this was how God designed it. I woke up and thought about it, and realized that gay marriage will never produce that, it's just not the same, it is not part of God's design. Call me a bigot if you want, I can assure you that I'm not, just sharing my own experience and how my opinion has changed. I respect and tolerate homosexuals, though I certainly disagree with their lifestyle but God is the true judge and it's His ultimate decision. He knows their sin but he also knows their hearts.

Today I adopt the view of Seperation of Marriage and State. Basically Civil Unions for everyone, straight and gay alike. That would kill this whole issue and everyone would get what they want.
Segregationists closed down all public schools to oppose desegregation. Your scorch earth tactic is nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies