Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 05:13 PM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Look at what else, though. They sent the kids to private colleges. They refinanced their house to pay for a wedding.

Some bad decisions.

What many of you are missing is that this family hit the "sweet spot" for not getting aid: too much family income for need based scholarships, too much income for subsidized loans, the wrong profile for academic scholarships.

But, it's easier to blame the kids' majors.

As a note, we had the same issues: high performing kids, too high family income, didn't fit the profile of potential students. Two Liberal Arts majors, one engineer. All are employed in their respective fields. And were almost as soon as the ink on their college diplomas were dry. They all attended state schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 05:17 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I flirted with idea of following my fathers footsteps and joining the Foreign Service but when I won a contest to drive a 2-8-2 1930's era Steam locomotive that ended any thought of being a diplomat.
You're driving the big boys, huh? Steam locomotives have always been amazing feats of engineering.

I'd love to work for the State Department because of my background, but my qualifications don't net me an interview.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:26 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
You're driving the big boys, huh? Steam locomotives have always been amazing feats of engineering.

I'd love to work for the State Department because of my background, but my qualifications don't net me an interview.
What qualifications?

You have to pass the foreign service exam and it is a ball buster. Georgetown University has a exam prep course.

Right now I drive EMD SD70ACe locomotives for BNSF.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
People weighed down with student loan debt can't buy houses, can't buy new cars, can't consume the way Americans are expected to consume, and are a drag on economic growth
Our universities are subsidized by the tax payers. Would you prefer that? I know how much the right likes to squeal when they have to open a wallet.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:27 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
I majored in political science.

I drive trains for a living.

And I am happy.
Good for You. I love trains

I still put my hand out the window when I see the conductor and do the
choo choo motion, and he always obliges me

Of course, if we had high speed trains in this country I'd be just a blur

Old 05-23-2014, 05:36 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
People weighed down with student loan debt can't buy houses, can't buy new cars, can't consume the way Americans are expected to consume, and are a drag on economic growth
You stole my thunder. You are exactly spot on. That's why it matters.

Many people (can we say most?) don't need a college education to succeed. Many (can we say most?) go to college and major in worthless "studies" such as "Women's studies," "Black history," and other equally useless courses of study. The find they cannot get hired (Who needs them?), yet they have accumulated massive debt.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
What qualifications?

You have to pass the foreign service exam and it is a ball buster. Georgetown University has a exam prep course.

Right now I drive EMD SD70ACe locomotives for BNSF.
Qualifications? Outside of a few degrees and tests, none. I haven't actively pursued the position aside from generic rejections from usajobs.gov. I know there are many more qualified applicants than I, though I maintain my intellectual superiority (and ego ).

Wiki says a lot about those locomotives. I can only assume you are passionate about locomotives as much as I am about my hobby, aviation?

Old 05-23-2014, 05:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
I wouldn't have put myself in the poorhouse to put my son through college, but I would've come close if need be.

I don't care about what anyone says...it's better to have a degree than not to have one. And frankly, I don't give a damn what that degree is in. It's better than no degree at all.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I wouldn't have put myself in the poorhouse to put my son through college, but I would've come close if need be.

I don't care about what anyone says...it's better to have a degree than not to have one. And frankly, I don't give a damn what that degree is in. It's better than no degree at all.
My parents have sponsored thousands of dollars for my education. Rest assured, I'll pay them back every cent they have been generous enough loan me. They deserve $100k from me.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:11 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
What does it matter to you what other people do with their money?

Meanwhile, in another thread, you're probably asking for a bailout of student loan debt. With my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies