Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:19 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Meanwhile, in another thread, you're probably asking for a bailout of student loan debt. With my money.
It isn't your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So it's all about handing your money over to big business ?

So you rent, take the bus and don't buy all that "bling".
Nothing wrong with that while you pay down your debt.

America needs to rethink some.

2500 sq foot "starter homes" with media rooms and granite countertops is lofty thinking especially when you have loans to pay off.
Irrelevant. This is strictly a discussion of student loan debt being worth dragging the economy. While it is true liberal arts degrees are lackluster, college is not a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 06:48 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
I'm going to guess Gretsky never went to college. I agree science degrees, like mine, are more valuable than general education degrees like liberal arts but liberal arts degrees still serve a valuable purpose namely to give people a well rounded background so they can pursue an advanced degree where they do specialize (a great many liberal arts majors end up going to law school).

What I do find nauseating is how the bubbas who never went to college are often arrogant and over estimate their own abilities saying "I could do that" when the reality is they're so ignorant they don't even know what they don't know. Where as people with, say, Master's degrees in the hard sciences, people like me, tend to under estimate our abilities because we know how complicated many things are, how many variables are at work, and how much data we're lacking on a given problem set. Gretsky is a classic example of this; it is called the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Dunning

Old 05-23-2014, 07:28 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,449 times
That's one family, likely who made poor choices. I am 30 years old and make $200k / yr. my younger sister is 27 years old and made $350k last year. Neither of us could have went to college and gotten the jobs we did without student loans. So people like us should be punished?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,732 times
Like the other poster said. All three of their kids went to private school.

No way I will let my kids attend schools we could not afford.

They let their kids to there. Poor parenting. Kids are not blameless either.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:20 PM

32,076 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Especially if they end up majoring in some worthless degree like Liberal arts...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/studen...150749696.html
Not everyone is good in math or science so why major in something you know you are going to fail at. People who know how to write, research and are artistic are just as important. They are the creative ones.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Especially if they end up majoring in some worthless degree like Liberal arts...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/studen...150749696.html
Uh I make six figures with my "worthless" liberal arts degree.

But back to the story from the actual link. Wow. I'm sorry, but those parents are incredibly stupid agreeing to contribute one thin dime to kids who want to go to private universities and study crap like music therapy.

Seriously.

What were they thinking?

My parents scrimped and saved our whole lives to put me and my brother through college. Some of my classmates enjoyed European vacations in summer and a closetful of designer duds through each growth spurt. Not us! Don't get me wrong, we did fun stuff in summer and always had plenty of clothes to wear and food to eat. We grew up in an affluent area and had a comfortable childhood with nice presents on birthdays and at Hannukah. So I don't want to give the impression that we were deprived. We weren't.

However...they had to choose between saving for college (and their retirement) and splurging on frivolous crap. Thank god, they chose to save. The deal was this: we each got four years, tuition/fees/room & board, at any public university in our state. At the end of that four years, degree or not, we were off the tit. We both finished in four years with plenty of room for electives and fun stuff. We were motivated. Grad school wasn't part of the deal; my brother paid for his MBA himself. (It took him 7 years to pay off the $25k he borrowed.)

They also told us we had 12 months to "start out" after graduation and if we needed to live at home while we were getting on our feet, they would allow that. As long as we were working or spending all day job-hunting, we didn't have to pay them rent. No work/no job hunt? Rent, bub. Or move out. At the end of that 12 months, we were out regardless. Neither one of us even dared to test them to see if they'd really cut us off after 4 years if we didn't graduate, or toss us out into the street if we weren't working with money saved up for first/last/security and some basic apartment furniture. They were loving and supportive, but they didn't raise us to sit on our asses all day playing video games or chasing dead-end "dream" jobs that paid a pittance.

Nope...they expected us to grow into emotionally and financially independent, mature, responsible adults. And that's what happened.

Parents like these? They did it wrong. They have nobody to blame but themselves. Nobody forced them to have that many children. Nobody forced them to contribute a penny towards their college education. Nobody forced them to send multiple children to expensive private universities.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 PM

32,076 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Uh I make six figures with my "worthless" liberal arts degree.

But back to the story from the actual link. Wow. I'm sorry, but those parents are incredibly stupid agreeing to contribute one thin dime to kids who want to go to private universities and study crap like music therapy.

Seriously.

What were they thinking?

My parents scrimped and saved our whole lives to put me and my brother through college. Some of my classmates enjoyed European vacations in summer and a closetful of designer duds through each growth spurt. Not us! Don't get me wrong, we did fun stuff in summer and always had plenty of clothes to wear and food to eat. We grew up in an affluent area and had a comfortable childhood with nice presents on birthdays and at Hannukah. So I don't want to give the impression that we were deprived. We weren't.

However...they had to choose between saving for college (and their retirement) and splurging on frivolous crap. Thank god, they chose to save. The deal was this: we each got four years, tuition/fees/room & board, at any public university in our state. At the end of that four years, degree or not, we were off the tit. We both finished in four years with plenty of room for electives and fun stuff. We were motivated. Grad school wasn't part of the deal; my brother paid for his MBA himself. (It took him 7 years to pay off the $25k he borrowed.)

They also told us we had 12 months to "start out" after graduation and if we needed to live at home while we were getting on our feet, they would allow that. As long as we were working or spending all day job-hunting, we didn't have to pay them rent. No work/no job hunt? Rent, bub. Or move out. At the end of that 12 months, we were out regardless. Neither one of us even dared to test them to see if they'd really cut us off after 4 years if we didn't graduate, or toss us out into the street if we weren't working with money saved up for first/last/security and some basic apartment furniture. They were loving and supportive, but they didn't raise us to sit on our asses all day playing video games or chasing dead-end "dream" jobs that paid a pittance.

Nope...they expected us to grow into emotionally and financially independent, mature, responsible adults. And that's what happened.

Parents like these? They did it wrong. They have nobody to blame but themselves. Nobody forced them to have that many children. Nobody forced them to contribute a penny towards their college education. Nobody forced them to send multiple children to expensive private universities.

I love this!!! Liberal arts is not a worthless degree.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:26 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
It isn't your money.

Irrelevant. This is strictly a discussion of student loan debt being worth dragging the economy. While it is true liberal arts degrees are lackluster, college is not a waste.
As an affluent taxpayer who had a successful career and business, it's mine. I've paid more than my share of taxes.

Who's going to bail out the kids? The taxpayer. Me.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
What does it matter to you what other people do with their money?
It matters when they take out these gigantic government loans for their status symbol college educations and then want out of them and have the taxpayers pick up their tab.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I love this!!! Liberal arts is not a worthless degree.
Agreed -- but there should be no more talk of letting these slackers default their loans. Get off their butts and pay back the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies