Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:21 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
What does it matter to you what other people do with their money?
Exactly!

We are a free country where we can make our own decisions to be stupid if we want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 09:29 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,476 times
I am sorry, but I have to ask.
When you sign up for a student loan, to pay for college, did you not read the details of the loan, and sign the paper agreeing to the terms?
And each semester, did you not have to do all of that again?
So you should have known how much debt you were committing yourself to all along.
Why is it that now, when the bill comes due, somehow you think you have been screwed by the banks you borrowed the money from?
You enabled them. You agreed to the terms of the loan.
The time to have decided it was too much was before you signed your life away.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:00 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
I am sorry, but I have to ask.
When you sign up for a student loan, to pay for college, did you not read the details of the loan, and sign the paper agreeing to the terms?
And each semester, did you not have to do all of that again?
So you should have known how much debt you were committing yourself to all along.
Why is it that now, when the bill comes due, somehow you think you have been screwed by the banks you borrowed the money from?
You enabled them. You agreed to the terms of the loan.
The time to have decided it was too much was before you signed your life away.
That's the problem with many Americans way of thinking. They think of today and not the ramifications of the future. People want instant gratification especially the ones under age 30 these days. Their parents are partly responsible for allowing it.

It's one thing to incur 150k in debt from an elite Ivy League college and know u will get the hookup regardless of degree. It's another ball game to incur 150k debt from middle of the road private school regardless of degree because you don't have the same alumni base as the ivy leagues.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:06 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
It isn't your money.
Who's money is it if not those of us who pay taxes?

Old 05-24-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I'm going to guess Gretsky never went to college. I agree science degrees, like mine, are more valuable than general education degrees like liberal arts but liberal arts degrees still serve a valuable purpose namely to give people a well rounded background so they can pursue an advanced degree where they do specialize (a great many liberal arts majors end up going to law school).

What I do find nauseating is how the bubbas who never went to college are often arrogant and over estimate their own abilities saying "I could do that" when the reality is they're so ignorant they don't even know what they don't know. Where as people with, say, Master's degrees in the hard sciences, people like me, tend to under estimate our abilities because we know how complicated many things are, how many variables are at work, and how much data we're lacking on a given problem set. Gretsky is a classic example of this; it is called the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Dunning
Frankly, I have to agree with this.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You stole my thunder. You are exactly spot on. That's why it matters.

Many people (can we say most?) don't need a college education to succeed. Many (can we say most?) go to college and major in worthless "studies" such as "Women's studies," "Black history," and other equally useless courses of study. The find they cannot get hired (Who needs them?), yet they have accumulated massive debt.
Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment

Old 05-24-2014, 12:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I'm going to guess Gretsky never went to college. I agree science degrees, like mine, are more valuable than general education degrees like liberal arts but liberal arts degrees still serve a valuable purpose namely to give people a well rounded background so they can pursue an advanced degree where they do specialize (a great many liberal arts majors end up going to law school).

What I do find nauseating is how the bubbas who never went to college are often arrogant and over estimate their own abilities saying "I could do that" when the reality is they're so ignorant they don't even know what they don't know. Where as people with, say, Master's degrees in the hard sciences, people like me, tend to under estimate our abilities because we know how complicated many things are, how many variables are at work, and how much data we're lacking on a given problem set. Gretsky is a classic example of this; it is called the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Dunning
I wouldn't guess that at all.

I think too many arrogant types with college degrees view themselves as some sort of elite and refer to anyone who didn't get a degree as an ignorant "bubba". Some of the more ignorant people I've met went to college -- yet they can't do as much as change a car battery or tire, they get ripped off by mechanics. They can't figure out how to wire their own security system and have to hire most everything done.

What isn't smart is to think everyone who didn't go to college never had to learn anything or to think your degree means you can do their job better than they can do it.

More and more a college degree is no guarantee that someone is even literate.

http://www.air.org/news/press-releas...y-basic-skills

Twenty percent of U.S. college students completing four-year degrees–and 30 percent of students earning two-year degrees–have only basic quantitative literacy skills, meaning they are unable to estimate if their car has enough gasoline to get to the next gas station or calculate the total cost of ordering office supplies, according to a new national survey by the American Institutes for Research (AIR). The study was funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
And that's true -- so why are some college graduates whining and demanding the taxpayers start paying off their loans for them?

You go to college to make a whole lot more money than all those ignorant bubba's out there -- so you should expect to pay for it yourself -- don't have those ignorant bubba's have to have their taxes increased to bail out indebted college graduates.

And I have a degree - and then some, but I paid for it myself. I didn't get a bailout -- but I wasn't stupid enough to take on debt that I couldn't pay off. I also worked lots of hours throughout college.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:21 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
What does it matter to you what other people do with their money?
This is an internet forum. People comment all time, probably you too, on topics that don't affect us directly.

This family was pathetically stupid. Their load debt would probably have been much different if their kids had simply gone to public universities. The owe half a million dollars.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I wouldn't guess that at all.

I think too many arrogant types with college degrees view themselves as some sort of elite and refer to anyone who didn't get a degree as an ignorant "bubba". Some of the more ignorant people I've met went to college -- yet they can't do as much as change a car battery or tire, they get ripped off by mechanics. They can't figure out how to wire their own security system and have to hire most everything done.

What isn't smart is to think everyone who didn't go to college never had to learn anything or to think your degree means you can do their job better than they can do it.

More and more a college degree is no guarantee that someone is even literate.

New Study of the Literacy of College Students Finds Some Are Graduating With Only Basic Skills | American Institutes for Research

Twenty percent of U.S. college students completing four-year degrees–and 30 percent of students earning two-year degrees–have only basic quantitative literacy skills, meaning they are unable to estimate if their car has enough gasoline to get to the next gas station or calculate the total cost of ordering office supplies, according to a new national survey by the American Institutes for Research (AIR). The study was funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts.
So, a neurosurgeon is ignorant because he can't change his own tire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies