Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:41 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times

Advertisements

I think the most shocking stat from that article is that college costs have shot up 30% in the past five years. That is just insane and completely unsustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 12:48 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
This is why this is madness. Everyone is worried about helping the poor but it ends up hurting the middle class people out there busting their butts to pay their way. I know it sounds harsh but people need to worry about getting a firm financial foundation FIRST. Once they are set, and only then can they help others. Otherwise they'll end up poor too.

Every time government gets involved in the name of helping the poor, cost skyrocket and people who once could afford it no longer can.

many middle-class households, their bids for federal financial aid were denied. It didn’t matter that three of their four children were in college at the same time — on paper, they looked better off than most, though their reality was far different.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:55 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I think the most shocking stat from that article is that college costs have shot up 30% in the past five years. That is just insane and completely unsustainable.
And how much did it go up in the 5 years before that? And that? It is exactly that, insane.

I wasn't in college yesterday but have been in the past decade and costs have shot up significantly since. They shot up while I was in school and shot up in the decades before that. Tuition and "fees" at my alma mater - a state school - can now be over $10K for some students.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
I am sorry, but I have to ask.
When you sign up for a student loan, to pay for college, did you not read the details of the loan, and sign the paper agreeing to the terms?

And each semester, did you not have to do all of that again?

So you should have known how much debt you were committing yourself to all along.
Why is it that now, when the bill comes due, somehow you think you have been screwed by the banks you borrowed the money from?

You enabled them. You agreed to the terms of the loan.
The time to have decided it was too much was before you signed your life away.
lol, you and I get it but it's too convenient for those who signed the dotted line, who are actually the people at fault, they will blame everyone else in hopes of getting off the hook.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And that's true -- so why are some college graduates whining and demanding the taxpayers start paying off their loans for them?

You go to college to make a whole lot more money than all those ignorant bubba's out there -- so you should expect to pay for it yourself -- don't have those ignorant bubba's have to have their taxes increased to bail out indebted college graduates.

And I have a degree - and then some, but I paid for it myself. I didn't get a bailout -- but I wasn't stupid enough to take on debt that I couldn't pay off. I also worked lots of hours throughout college.
When did you go to college?

I do not favor a bailout, but the idea that working a lot of hours today can get someone through college is ludicrous.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This is why this is madness. Everyone is worried about helping the poor but it ends up hurting the middle class people out there busting their butts to pay their way. I know it sounds harsh but people need to worry about getting a firm financial foundation FIRST. Once they are set, and only then can they help others. Otherwise they'll end up poor too.

Every time government gets involved in the name of helping the poor, cost skyrocket and people who once could afford it no longer can.

many middle-class households, their bids for federal financial aid were denied. It didn’t matter that three of their four children were in college at the same time — on paper, they looked better off than most, though their reality was far different.
Here's the thing - states actually used to cover more of the costs of higher education and that's a primary reason why tuition bills at state schools were lower.

As far as federal loans/aid, I do agree that making "free" money available will almost always inflate costs and it is part of the problem. It isn't the whole problem, but it is nonetheless part. With that being said, I don't think the solution is to end it all. We need an educated populace and government does have a role in helping society further that goal, though I'd prefer the obligation be shifted more to states.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:17 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I wouldn't have put myself in the poorhouse to put my son through college, but I would've come close if need be.

I don't care about what anyone says...it's better to have a degree than not to have one. And frankly, I don't give a damn what that degree is in. It's better than no degree at all.
I have mixed feelings.

I believe in education, but most recent college graduates do not have a job requiring a college degree - they do have large debt though.

As a teacher, I have seen many kids major in Dance, Philosophy, Gender Studies, Social Justice, African-American Studies, Crop and Soil Science (but not wanting to work in that field?!?!?) etc... Most of these kids end up working as baristas Starbucks or behind the counter at Panera Bread. If you are going to choose a degree in a field with few jobs you better love it, work hard at it and be prepared for the possibility not getting a job for years potentially.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
When did you go to college?

I do not favor a bailout, but the idea that working a lot of hours today can get someone through college is ludicrous.
A while ago -- but my son and his wife just finished college a year ago and they both worked the whole time, they had loans but were paying them off while in college, both got jobs immediately upon graduation and have gotten raises and promotions. They have their debt wiped out now.

For one, anyone can work at last 20-30 hours and take 15 hours a semester -- you might have to give up some of the parties, and you can pick up hours during breaks, especially summer breaks. Another son is just starting college, his full time job provides tuition assistance and he's going to get 2 years done at a near by community college.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Because it CAN. As long as people are willing to take out $500,000 in loans and view expensive private colleges as status symbols they want to have, the big Education-Industrial Complex is going to keep on raising tuition rates.

They've got no shortage of people willing to take on life-long debt even for iffy degrees.

There are alternatives, many community colleges offer courses that can be transferred at 100% to 4 year universities.

As far as people working while going to college, a fairly large number are doing that -- where I work, there are people working and also taking classes -- I've done the same -- and recently.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What qualifications?

You have to pass the foreign service exam and it is a ball buster. Georgetown University has a exam prep course.

Right now I drive EMD SD70ACe locomotives for BNSF.
I know one of your dispatcher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies