Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:15 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,589,999 times

Advertisements

BBC News - Russian image has deteriorated - BBC World Service poll

Quote:
The poll, which was mostly conducted before the crisis in Crimea, showed people were more negative about Russia in the past year than they had been at any time since the poll began in 2005.
It also found that views of the US and the EU had worsened.
But Germany has kept its position as the most positively viewed country.
Now, isn't that a massive turnaround considering the position Germany was in 70 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:21 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Word is out how government of the wealthy, by the wealthy and for the wealthy is destroying the quality of life in the US. The US is entering the end stage of capitalism and will disintegrate into chaos unless we change our ways and redistribute wealth back to the dying middle class.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,168,199 times
Still good news for the UK

World starts to love UK again as memories of the war in Iraq fade - Home News - UK - The Independent

and Raymond as apparently Everyone Loves Raymond.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,284,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Word is out how government of the wealthy, by the wealthy and for the wealthy is destroying the quality of life in the US. The US is entering the end stage of capitalism and will disintegrate into chaos unless we change our ways and redistribute wealth back to the dying middle class.
Wrong...we simply need to quit giving it to the upper classes. The middle and lower classes will continue to fall further and further behind as long as wall street gets billions while the lower levels get and extra $20 a week.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:12 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Wrong...we simply need to quit giving it to the upper classes. The middle and lower classes will continue to fall further and further behind as long as wall street gets billions while the lower levels get and extra $20 a week.
Right, actually. When I say redistribute I am not talking about passing out checks to lazy people who will not work. I am talking about returning to a system where American workers are not being exploited for the benefit of the wealthy. Raise taxes on the rich to levels in Germany, make education affordable again without lifelong debt, free our people from the burden of outrageous health care costs by implementing something along the lines of what they have in Germany, invest in the infrastructure and new technology that will make us competitive instead of boarding up everything and shipping the jobs to everywhere but here. Stop the war on trade unions. Yes, many of our unions are corrupt and do not serve the workers anymore, but that is no reason to dump the whole concept and let the corporations act without balance. German unions work together with management to promote everyone's welfare. I could go on, but what is the use? Like I said, the US is headed to hell in a hand cart and it is going to take violence in the streets to wrest the country back from the "1%".

Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Right, actually. When I say redistribute I am not talking about passing out checks to lazy people who will not work. I am talking about returning to a system where American workers are not being exploited for the benefit of the wealthy. Raise taxes on the rich to levels in Germany, make education affordable again without lifelong debt, free our people from the burden of outrageous health care costs by implementing something along the lines of what they have in Germany, invest in the infrastructure and new technology that will make us competitive instead of boarding up everything and shipping the jobs to everywhere but here. Stop the war on trade unions. Yes, many of our unions are corrupt and do not serve the workers anymore, but that is no reason to dump the whole concept and let the corporations act without balance. German unions work together with management to promote everyone's welfare. I could go on, but what is the use? Like I said, the US is headed to hell in a hand cart and it is going to take violence in the streets to wrest the country back from the "1%".
I will only add that we might disagree on a fine point or two but in the general big picture I agree.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:30 AM

25,884 posts, read 18,904,112 times
My god I wish people would shut up about "classes." Screw classes. Why the hell should I care if someone has a Lexus and a McMansion? Or eats steak for dinner every night? How does that affect me personally?

Every friggin' thread here has to somehow have "classes" integrated into it. You people are obsessed with classes. At what point did the wheels fall out from under your buses in life and all you could think about was classes and how to covet?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:30 AM

825 posts, read 1,035,644 times
This makes sense. Why would anyone admire a corporate oligarchy where he citizens were too busy watching the Kardashians to care that their rights and their wealth was taken right out from under them?Any country where corporations are treated like citizens is a den of fools.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:34 AM

825 posts, read 1,035,644 times
Quote:
These are great ideas, but to be honest they will have no impact until you cut the head off of the snake. Publicly funded elections, strict term limits, zero lobbying, zero campaign contributions. Make career politicians and corporate influence in elections a thing of the past.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
My god I wish people would shut up about "classes." Screw classes. Why the hell should I care if someone has a Lexus and a McMansion? Or eats steak for dinner every night? How does that affect me personally?
I care less what others have. I care when the government steps in and makes it harder for the middle and lower classes because they feel they must help the upper classes. That is what our current economic policies is doing.

If another Bill Gates comes along and creates something that benefits the masses and acquires great wealth because of it great. I'm happy for him.

Quote:
Every friggin' thread here has to somehow have "classes" integrated into it. You people are obsessed with classes. At what point did the wheels fall out from under your buses in life and all you could think about was classes and how to covet?
I'm doing o.k. I can't complain. The governments actions are still wrong. Right and wrong isn't depended on how it effects me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies