Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:01 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,605,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
And where is it written that I don't have the right to 'offend'?
Where is it written that you have a right Not to be offended?
The question at hand isn't "offended" it's "racial slur". Redskin is a racial slur according to the definition of those terms, and as such it isn't a valid trademark. It doesn't matter if it offends anyone or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I am offended by just about everything!
What would be your solution?
Well, if you're offended by a racial slur, you should lodge a complaint with the PTO.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:02 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,266,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
As I posted earlier there are whole LOT MORE Indians who are NOT offended.
First, you can't prove how many Indians think any such thing, let alone that there are a "lot more" who aren't' offended. You're just making that up.

Second, has anyone asked the Indians who are not offended if they prefer that the name "Redskins" be kept or whether they'd be offended by changing the name to something else? If not, you don't know what they actually do want, just what they're not worried about.

And finally … are you an Indian? If not, you have no business telling any Indians what to do or think. Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

Old 06-19-2014, 12:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
5 native Americans took serious issues with the name and now look what a mess. Most native Americans cans have no problem with the name: what is now going to happen in Atlanta, Cleveland and Kansas City for starters?
Ah, so you have a poll that backs up your claim?

Old 06-19-2014, 12:06 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,670,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
and why they slaughtered each other on a daily basis.
Hard to slaughter whole tribes with stone axes and stone tipped arrows. It took the white man with his weapons of mass destruction to teach us what real killing was all about. Once the Europeans pushed the tribes westward into the territories of existing tribes, we fought each other for survival.
The Iroquois League had existed in peace since 1450 until the white man involved us in his wars in the 1750s.
The Six Nations: Oldest Living Participatory Democracy on Earth

The people of the Six Nations, also known by the French term, Iroquois [1] Confederacy, call themselves the Hau de no sau nee (ho dee noe sho nee) meaning People Building a Long House. Located in the northeastern region of North America, originally the Six Nations was five and included the Mohawks, Oneidas, Onondagas, Cayugas, and Senecas. The sixth nation, the Tuscaroras, migrated into Iroquois country in the early eighteenth century. Together these peoples comprise the oldest living participatory democracy on earth. Their story, and governance truly based on the consent of the governed, contains a great deal of life-promoting intelligence for those of us not familiar with this area of American history. The original United States representative democracy, fashioned by such central authors as Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson, drew much inspiration from this confederacy of nations.

Is that the slaughter you speak of? I heard the Europeans lived in total peace and harmony for almost 2000 years and came to the Americas to spread all that peace and harmony.

FYI: The constitution of the United states and the Bill of Rights was lifted directly from the constitution of the Iroquois Confederacy of which Mohawks are and have been a member of for over 550 years. Is that the slaughter you speak of?

On June 11, 1776 while the question of independence was being debated, the visiting Iroquois chiefs were formally invited into the meeting hall of the Continental Congress. There a speech was delivered, in which they were addressed as "Brothers" and told of the delegates' wish that the "friendship" between them would "continue as long as the sun shall shine" and the "waters run." The speech also expressed the hope that the new Americans and the Iroquois act "as one people, and have but one heart."[18] After this speech, an Onondaga chief requested permission to give Hancock an Indian name. The Congress graciously consented, and so the president was renamed "Karanduawn, or the Great Tree." With the Iroquois chiefs inside the halls of Congress on the eve of American Independence, the impact of Iroquois ideas on the founders is unmistakable.

Women's rights? We invented it. The Iroquois Confederacy is a matriarchal society. My lineage is recorded back to 1615 all traced on my mother's side.
Here is an Iroquois poem

We, the women of the Iroquois
Own the Land, the Lodge, the Children
Ours is the right to adoption, life or death;
Ours is the right to raise up and depose chiefs;
Ours is the right to representation in all councils;
Ours is the right to make and abrogate treaties;
Ours is the supervision over domestic and foreign policies;
Ours is the trusteeship of tribal property;
Our lives are valued again as high as man's.

Rather than slaughtering savages as you would portray us, we are the one's who taught you civilization, morals and democracy.
You white men owe us more than you can ever repay, right down to the foundation of your government and Nation.

Last edited by mohawkx; 06-19-2014 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 12:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
But, you DID say that they didn't use it,

"Originally Posted by urbanlife78
Probably the reason why NAACP goes by its initials rather than its name", Which is NOT true.

Most organizations, businesses and federal agencies and departments use their acronym because the official name is more convenient. Kinda like the United States of America, U.S.A., DNC, the Democrat National Committee, GMC, IBM, etc., etc., etc.

That does NOT mean we have abandoned the full name.
Again, that post doesn't say they don't acknowledge the full name.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:07 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,153,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Nobody will ever get ALL INDIANS to ever agree on anything. That's why we have so many different tribes.
Fair enough, but you were making seem like all Indians have problem with the name Redskin. I just hate it when some people are acting like they are speaking for the entire group. Just like I'm Black and I hate when idiots like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson act like they speak for all Black People.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,024,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
So what. I could find a thousand people that will claim to be offended by Yankees, Fighting Irish, etc. Get over it. The names have not and are not used to offend, hence why they are team names and mascots. Get some self esteem and a hobby and put on some big boy pants. Along with finding some common sense. They are not offensive no matter how you feel
Yes.........and common sense is a lost art. Liberals scream on and on. Find a cause and scream........then go to another cause...........the cause they are told to go to. Sad but true.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM

31,083 posts, read 22,113,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Of course I'm not doing that, but if that's all you've got as a response, you have my sympathies.

I'm not "speaking for" anyone. I AM, however, defending their right to decide for themselves what's offensive to say to them, and not have someone else (white people, quelle surprise) tell them what they should think.

When you responded to my first statement that was clearly addressed to Mohawkx, you felt inclined to respond for him. Apparently, from your point of view he couldn't respond for himself and needed someone to speak for him. I'll give him the credit of being a cognizant adult man who can respond for himself and doesn't need someone running to his rescue.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,024,433 times
Indians all killed each other on a weekly basis before the evil white man arrived. Killed women and children.......all of em. Now if they got the gunpowder first we wouldn't be here.......would of killed us too. They didn't.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,138,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
5 native Americans took serious issues with the name and now look what a mess. Most native Americans cans have no problem with the name: what is now going to happen in Atlanta, Cleveland and Kansas City for starters?
Are the terms "Braves", "Indians" or "chiefs" racial slurs? I don't think so nmnita...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies