Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is teaching the Liberal Entitlement attitude doing an injustice to our youth?
Yes. We are creating people of weak mental fortitude who won't be able to overcome obstacles or hardship. 40 81.63%
No. Liberal hand outs and entitlements are the future of America! 9 18.37%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:16 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Why is it that same 15-20 RWNJ's post the same stupid #$@! everyday on this board. It's as if they start a conversation that goes completely over their heads and then pester educated people that are trying to have a rational conversation about it.

Do you knuckleheads really want the truth? Seattle passed a $15 an hour minimum wage to prevent the city from becoming a crime infested, welfare ridden hellhole like most of CA has become. Seattle is a nice place, and we want to keep it that way, so we have decided to pay people a livable wage to prevent them from turning our city into a dump. A $15 an hour minimum wage prevents people from stealing, selling drugs or simply not working by creating an incentive to actually work. It reduces the amount of subsidized housing, and cuts down on the spread of the ghettos that most other large cities have. At the end of the day I'll pay another quarter for my french fries to help reduce poverty in my city. I'll pay that extra quarter to not have an ex-con serving me food. I'll pay an extra quarter to have the person in the drive through speak fluent English. I'll pay that extra quarter to keep my city nice.

You people just don't get it. All you do is complain about lowlifes, but you do everything in your power to create an environment for them.
Your fairy tale would make a good movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 11:18 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Nobody's arguing dishwashers should be paid $60000/year.
So, what should they be paid?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:34 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
No one manhandled the Iraqis. Their current president was elected. But it's obvious that after 8 years of war, you can't suddenly pull out a stabilizing force a year later just because you want to make a political statement.
Yes, there was an election. The Iraqis do not respect it. The outcome was a president who has marginalized and beaten down the Sunnis, because that's what they have done for eons. Surprised at the outcome? You shouldn't be.

Sure, while we're there to stand over them with a big stick, there are some symbolic elections. That is not the same as having a sustainable political process that respects minorities and sets the stage for economic opportunities across the societal spectrum. And by the way, they hate us and see us as invaders.

Quote:
Had we done that in Japan and Germany, the same type of strife would have happened. Japan was on the verge of civil war when the allies occupied the main island. 1/4 of Germany's population was homeless.

Now both countries are strong, stable, and represent the top economies of the world.
Both countries had a first-world culture to begin with. They had what was needed to pull themselves up. And we did not initiate invasion unprovoked and then have to occupy either for decades.

Quote:
HThese things take time.
So just how long do you think we need to keep pumping billions of dollars and thousands of lives into Iraq? Another ten years? Twenty years? Fifty? a century? Two centuries?

And what about every other third-world nation out there? Are we supposed to go take all of them over and police them into democracies? How much money do you think we have? I thought you conservatives were trying to cut the budgets.

Quote:
But if you have the attitude of "Iraqis will always fight" like they are violent animals who can't help shoot at each other, then of course that's the result you will get.
When you have the attitude of "we'll just go in and 'cure' these people by force to be like us", then THIS what you see now is the result you will get.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:43 AM

864 posts, read 799,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I understand why goods become cheaper. I don't know why you're talking about the price of goods when it's labour issues that caused you to start a thread whining about liberals. Washing dishes is washing dishes, same as it was sixty years ago. The job has not changed, so the wages it earns should not change. I understand that this opinion upsets you and makes you whine about liberals and make things up, but I'm not going to change my mind to make you feel better because your feelings don't matter.

You haven't explained why the fact that a minimum wage is contrary to strict free market ideology matters yet. Were you going to do that after you finished whining and crying about liberals?
No, min-wages haven't changed much (if anything the minimum wage inflation adjusted at $15 is actually higher than in the 1960s). But certainly rents, and prices of goods have changed. Those things are all closely intertwined.

Yes back in the day you could rent a $200 apartment in North Beach in SF all day no problem. Now even inflation adjusted, the rents for North Beach are 3-4x more expensive. It's called gentrification. Demographics and people changed. Yes, we all wish that all the places we want to live can stay the same price, but that's a FOOLS fantasy. You can't expect a higher minimum wage to solve that problem when the people renting & swiping up apartments in North Beach are making $130,000 a year working at Twitter, or Fidelity, or whatever firm is paying them extremely high wages to be in the city. You honestly think a fry cook or dish washer is going to be able to compete with that just because you raise the min-wage?

How completely foolish and ignorant.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
After the Bush/Vader scare tactics, sure.

I am proud to say I was never for that war in Iraq, even with the 'WMD' threat and all the other BS they pushed.

Vietnam taught me that.
Oh, so now Demo Dummy senators are just puppets lead around by Republicans. I love it.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Then why did Bush make that agreement with Iraq about the withdrawal date?

You are confused and have no understanding of what you're posting.
Bush made that date 4 years in the future. He knew he wouldn't even be president when that date passed. It would be up to the president AT THAT TIME to either change the date or make a determination that a withdrawal was not going to work out well.

At some point you demo dummy supporters are going to have to take Obama to task for things that happened during HIS presidency. Dubya left office 6 years ago, haven't you heard?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:57 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
To take a side step for a minute, I'm glad logical heads have prevailed in spite of guys like urbanlife, Fox Terrier, Ambient, and Seabass.

31-4 poll results. Faith in humanity restored!
Woo Hoo!

You got all the RWNJs to respond. Not hard to do here on C-D.

Hardly an accomplishment of note.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Both countries had a first-world culture to begin with.
What is a "first-world" culture?

Old 06-27-2014, 12:02 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, what should they be paid?
Dunno. Probably minimum wage to start, it's hardly skilled labour. Does this have anything to do with whatsisface's imaginary arguments that no one is making? It must, because you quoted it before asking your question. Can't imagine what, though.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:05 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Bush made that date 4 years in the future. He knew he wouldn't even be president when that date passed. It would be up to the president AT THAT TIME to either change the date or make a determination that a withdrawal was not going to work out well.
I see. So agreements we make with other sovereign countries should just be broken willy-nilly?

There IS another party to this, you know. Remember the Iraqi government? They might stink, but they are still there. They DO have a say about our troops being in their country.

It is really hilarious; one one hand you hate the government and want to limit its power, and on the other hand you believe that the government (our government) should just do what it thinks is best, run roughshod over other countries, because it can.

Do you want a strong (arm) government or not?

Never mind. I know you won't answer the question. It's well beyond you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies