Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:15 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Updated numbers; From the Chicago Tribune website.
82 shot, 14 dead over the holiday weekend. Those are impressive numbers even by Chicago standards.
I remember when Chicago were going for the Olympics. What a total embarrassment to the country that would have been. Glad everyone dodged that bullet.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I remember when Chicago were going for the Olympics. What a total embarrassment to the country that would have been. Glad everyone dodged that bullet.
Actually, the city of Atlanta hosted the 1996 Olympics, when its murder rate was much higher than Chicago's is now. I would also look up an event called Freaknik.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:37 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
We've been having these issues since the 80's and there's still been no solution in most major cities besides pricing people out rather than actually cleaning up the community.

Maybe its time for a new approach. Instead of giving them drugs to support themselves how about giving the people actual jobs??

But wait, we can't even get our employment rates as a whole under control.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 AM

226 posts, read 284,955 times
Quote:
The problem is, you're talking about after children are born. And in the black community, children are born without a dad 75% of the time. That right there automatically starts them off on the wrong foot.
Then, their mother has more children from different men, etc but no one with any authority in the black society (Mr. Obama?) is willing to call this out as one of, if not THE major problem that all these other problems down the line stem from.
It's because most of these problems can't be easily solved within a matter of years, and fixing them has to start with individual families, rather than the entire community or race.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But blacks in cities do have much higher murder rates than the rest. It's partially poverty-driven but not enough to explain the gap. For example, hispanics are poorer than blacks in NYC, but blacks have a higher violent crime rate.
The missing variable is encounter rates.

Blacks in Chicago and New York City live in more segregated neighborhoods. Chicago is #2 or #3 IIRC in most segregated cities in the country. If blacks all live in one area, of course the violent crime rate will be higher. In mixed white-black-asian-latino areas (the West Coast is far less demographically segregated) the black-black murder rate will seem lower.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:53 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Seriously?

Chicago is one of the best cities in the country hands down. It is a great venue for the Olympics... far better than freaking Atlanta.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:16 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But blacks in cities do have much higher murder rates than the rest. It's partially poverty-driven but not enough to explain the gap. For example, hispanics are poorer than blacks in NYC, but blacks have a higher violent crime rate.
I am not denying that, I am just saying being black doesn't mean that person is a criminal or will commit violence. There are other issues than skin color for the reason for increased violence in poor black neighborhoods.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The problem is, you're talking about after children are born. And in the black community, children are born without a dad 75% of the time. That right there automatically starts them off on the wrong foot.
Then, their mother has more children from different men, etc but no one with any authority in the black society (Mr. Obama?) is willing to call this out as one of, if not THE major problem that all these other problems down the line stem from.
What came first, the chicken or the egg? I am talking about starting with the current youngest generation, you have to start somewhere and we can hop in a time machine and go back to when it first started, so thus we should start with this current generation of children to help them prevent the mistakes their parents made.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You clearly don't know much about Rio in Brasil. The violence in that city makes Chicago's worse neighborhoods look pleasant.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am not denying that, I am just saying being black doesn't mean that person is a criminal or will commit violence. There are other issues than skin color for the reason for increased violence in poor black neighborhoods.
I never claimed that the bolded, obviously most blacks aren't criminals. As for issues, I didn't give any reasons, I just noted the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies