Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 08:48 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times

Advertisements

WAR ZONE: 11 Killed, At Least 60 Wounded In Chicago Shootings Over Holiday Weekend...

CHICAGO (CBS) July 7, 2014 – At least 11 people were killed and 60 others were wounded over the long holiday weekend, from Thursday afternoon, to early Monday morning.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 AM

29,538 posts, read 19,632,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So where in Chicago do you live?
Moved to the far south suburbs in Dec 2010 for more space, lower taxes, and most importantly better schools.

Lived on the Northside in Albany Park since 1974. That community is gentrifying to the east of Kimball Ave. to the west it's an immigrant port of entry.... little Arabia, Mexico, and Asia town.

Quote:
Really bad neighborhoods are those that are the dark blue, the medium blue ones are rough, those are neighborhoods where you probably won't ever encounter anything, but there is a chance something bad could happen.

I personally would want to live in stable low crime neighborhoods, but I wouldn't consider much of Chicago to be as dangerous as right wing media likes to pretend it is.
I'm not the right wing media and I can tell you from experience that half of Chicago is a very dangerous place and would no way in hell live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
"expensive"= safe
There's a few crappy sections of the northside. Rogers Park and Uptown. Guess what the common denominator is in those two areas and why they're crappy (run down, much higher crime rate than surrounding areas).
Isn't that usually the case?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:53 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times
Quote:
Nope, I am very much white, Irish and Swedish descent.

One doesn't need to be educated to know how to get pregnant. A moron can get pregnant, an intelligent person knows the importance to wait.

How is the money being used? Just throwing money at a problem will fix a problem, but many problems do need money to be fixed.

What does having a black president have to do with anything? There is still plenty of racism in this country regardless of having a black president.

So who are successful black business people? Why aren't they doing more to push the importance of the things they do within black communities? Maybe it has more to do with the wealthy people blacks are use to are rappers and athletes. Also, many white people idolize musicians and athletes as well.

Then you are on the path to understanding why education and after school programs are important for young people. The more young girls are educated to know that putting off having children for a good education is a good thing, the better chance they will have at making good decisions with who to mate with.

You can't expect any of this to have an immediate effect, this requires generations of restructuring.
Sorry, thought you were black.
"generations of restructuring"=changing the culture. That can't be done by anyone other than black people and until they want to do so, it won't change and people like you and me will just shake our heads.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Waiting to hear your theories on what's wrong with black society since you're part of it (I believe?) and why you don't see the same problems with violence in poor, high unemployment white areas.
Well for starters, I don't think it has anything to do with skin color when it comes to the problems in some poor neighborhoods.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
So where in Chicago do you live? Really bad neighborhoods are those that are the dark blue, the medium blue ones are rough, those are neighborhoods where you probably won't ever encounter anything, but there is a chance something bad could happen.

I personally would want to live in stable low crime neighborhoods, but I wouldn't consider much of Chicago to be as dangerous as right wing media likes to pretend it is.
Cough, cough *Obama* cough cough …

Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Moved to the far south suburbs in Dec 2010 for more space, lower taxes, and most importantly better schools.

Lived on the Northside in Albany Park since 1974. That community is gentrifying to the east of Kimball Ave. to the west it's an immigrant port of entry.... little Arabia, Mexico, and Asia town.

I'm not the right wing media and I can tell you from experience that half of Chicago is a very dangerous place and would no way in hell live there.

Isn't that usually the case?
Okay, usually when one says Chicago is dangerous is usually people who have either never been to Chicago or lives in Chicagoland. Also, I wasn't saying you were one who follows right wing media, I was saying that in general about this site. It is often times people who hear about things like this from right wing media that think Chicago is dangerous.

What one considers safe or dangerous is completely subjective, so I won't argue about that with you. I will say statistically the chances of anything happening to you in a number of those neighborhoods you consider dangerous is small.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Sorry, thought you were black.
"generations of restructuring"=changing the culture. That can't be done by anyone other than black people and until they want to do so, it won't change and people like you and me will just shake our heads.
Children don't always choose that path, with any child you can help restructure culture through good education and pushing the importance of sex education at a very young age. Also it helps when pushing the importance of learning math, science, and english.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Well for starters, I don't think it has anything to do with skin color when it comes to the problems in some poor neighborhoods.
But blacks in cities do have much higher murder rates than the rest. It's partially poverty-driven but not enough to explain the gap. For example, hispanics are poorer than blacks in NYC, but blacks have a higher violent crime rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Murder rate breakdown by race (of victim), per 100k:

Oakland:

White: 4.9
Hispanic: 15.5
Asian: 6.1
Black: 65.2

Chicago:

White: 2.1
Hispanic: 11.0
Asian: 1.0
Black: 37.6

New York City:

White: 1.4
Hispanic: 5.9
Asian: 1.5
Black: 14.6

Hispanic blacks are counted as hispanics for New York City, dunno if the other cities even have a large population of hispanic blacks. For Oakland and Chicago numbers are 2009-2011, New York City, just 2011. For more violent cities such as Baltimore, even if all the murder victims were blacks, the black murder rate would still be lower than Oakland (around 47).

Old 07-07-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Children don't always choose that path, with any child you can help restructure culture through good education and pushing the importance of sex education at a very young age. Also it helps when pushing the importance of learning math, science, and english.
The problem is, you're talking about after children are born. And in the black community, children are born without a dad 75% of the time. That right there automatically starts them off on the wrong foot.
Then, their mother has more children from different men, etc but no one with any authority in the black society (Mr. Obama?) is willing to call this out as one of, if not THE major problem that all these other problems down the line stem from.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Updated numbers; From the Chicago Tribune website.
82 shot, 14 dead over the holiday weekend. Those are impressive numbers even by Chicago standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies