Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 05:22 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Talking down on them and telling them "you're a problem" isn't going to work either. Making stupid assumptions does not work either. Establishing common ground is more likely to get some success. However, I don't see anyone trying that.
Shame is a powerful tool.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:25 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
All too easy. While the statistics say that 50 percent of murders in the USA are Black on Black, no one seems to consider why. Why are so many neighborhoods that are majority Black rife with crime? Or even better, why are middle-upper class areas that are predominantly Black(such as Bowie,Md and Missouri City,Tx) have low crime rates?
Okay. You found TWO black towns that don't have a violent crime problem.

My point is valid.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:50 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times
This happens in Chicago on every warm weekend. And, 95% of the shootings are on the south and west sides which are gang infested hoods.

It's actually more of a surprise in Chicago when there aren't a high number of shootings.

Life is tough in da hood.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:06 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Shame is a powerful tool.
As it has been proven, shame doesn't work. Shame isn't going to make someone vote for you. Trying to shame someone is only going to anger them and make the resist more.

As I mentioned before, why not try establishing a common ground.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:

My point is valid.
Whether I found two Black towns or 100, can you refute anything I've said?

Actually, I really don't care what point you were trying to convey. My point was to show something very flawed. Have you asked WHY so many predominantly Black areas have so many problems? Have you ever asked why Bowie and Missouri City DON'T have problems? I'm trying to get you to think critically, as I do.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:

My point is valid.
Black people do not equal high crime, your point is invalid.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
All too easy. While the statistics say that 50 percent of murders in the USA are Black on Black, no one seems to consider why. Why are so many neighborhoods that are majority Black rife with crime? Or even better, why are middle-upper class areas that are predominantly Black(such as Bowie,Md and Missouri City,Tx) have low crime rates?
Au contraire! Black is only one common denominator. However, the other common denominator that spans ghettos, barrios and other ethnic, lower socio-economic conclaves is poverty and along with it, going hand-in-hand, are lack of education and lack of positive role models. Violent crime is not the sole purview of poor lacks by any means.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-06-2014 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-06-2014, 08:51 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,330 times
Funny how some things never change -- here's a newspaper clipping from 1926 re: Chicago's murder rate -- but please note that Jacksonville, FL was worse.

https://homicide.northwestern.edu/hi...line/1926/282/

Maybe it's not a 'black' problem but a 'Chicago' problem? Some kind of negative harmonic convergence...

Old 07-06-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Au contraire! Black is only one common denominator. However, the other common denominator that spans ghettos, barrios and other ethnic, lower socio-economic conclaves is poverty and along with it, going hand-in-hand, are lack of education and lack of positive role models. Violent crime is not the sole purview of poor lacks by any means.
I know there is more to violent crime than race. Proof of that, look at the links below.
Kentucky Murder Rate | Kentucky homicide rates outdo those of major cities - Baltimore Sun

The Violence Bred By Poverty Whether In Poorest Appalachia Or Poorest Philadelphia, Joblessness And Desperation Can Bring A Whole New Way Of Living - And Dying. - Philly.com

Granted, those are old links, but this stuff has been known to happen.

Violent crime isn't the only purview of poor Blacks. It happens among poor Hispanic people, and some poor White people. I've been jumped and beaten up by middle class White kids before, so I have personal experience. What I was talking about is this. So many people want to point to being Black, and only that, as a reason for crime. Basically, people are trying to say "Blacks are a problem", rather than, there are alot of problems among poor Blacks that results in violent crime. It is basically "They do that because that is what Blacks do, they are a violent race". And I would have to consider that their own solutions might be something like "exclude Blacks from society" or "kick Blacks out". Being Black, I have to consider that such persons might want to do that to me.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwater View Post
Look at who is shooting who. Its the black communities. What liberals want is for us to give up our rights to own guns to fix a black problem. Its the degeneration of the black culture and they want us to give up our money in the form of taxes and guns to name a few things to try to fix their decay.
I have to make my rebuttal. Gun politics have been racial for a very long time. From the very beginning, Blacks were prohibited from having guns. The roots of banning guns have alot to do with fear of Black people. In the slave days, Blacks were prohibited from owning guns. What was the fear? People were afraid of slave rebellions. When slavery was ended, there were attempts to disarm Blacks. This attitude was around long before any kind of degeneration. And the degeneration is not with the whole Black population. It is specifically with those who are part of the underclass. I had to call that part out because when you say "Black culture", I have to ask "which part"? Brian McKnight is part of Black culture. He's no hood rat. So is Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Tavis Smiley, Bill Cosby. Definitely not hood rats, definitely not degenerative people. Li'l Wayne is degenerative.

In my opinion, gun politics is a game. And this is not just liberals. Ronald Reagan implemented strict gun laws when he was governor of California. Why? The Black Panther Party marched on the streets of Sacramento with guns in their hands. They didn't shoot anyone, didn't hurt anyone. They were Black men marching down the streets in solidarity with their rights to defend themselves and bear arms. What happened? Reagan and many other people got scared. There has been a big fear of the Black man whenever he has decided to stand up for himself. The crime and degeneration taking place among a select segment of the Black population just gives more justification for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies