Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 12:50 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
We need to start calling this "reform" by its true name - AMNESTY.

How much will THAT cost us as a country?
About half trillion a year. You do know what a trillion is right?

Old 07-11-2014, 12:51 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Do you have any idea how much the political, immigration and economic landscape has changed since 1986? That's 30 years and 5 presidents! three of them Republican. Any one of them could have enforced the Reagan immigration reform bill at any time. The problem then, and the problem now is they passed a bill but Congress didn't fund it enough to be effective.
Now, same, same. No money from Congress. Just yelling at the president to do something while they tie his hands behind his back.
You are simplifying this to the point of absurdity.

First, Reid shelves every bill the house sends to him. To blame the house is ridiculous.

Reid needs to work with the house Reps, but he refuses to. He and Obama are tying the Pubs hands while claiming it's the Pubs tying their hands, and here you are parroting the same nonsense.

I hope the Pubs grow some balls and don't cave like they always do.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Don't need money from congress to secure the border.
This is true. Rick Perry has the Texas National Guard at his disposal and can call it up any time he wants and secure the entire Texas border. Why doesn't someone ask him and Governor Jan Brewer why they haven't called up the guard?

Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So why doesn't Perry and the other southern State governors call out their State National Guard to secure it, it is they that are in charge of their State NG Units, or didn't you know that? Don't they care about you anymore or could it be they are using it in a game of politics while counting on those like yourself not knowing some basic Facts? So, if you really want to know why they have not done all in their power you should just ask them, just don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.
What makes you think I don't know they can call the NG? I made no reference to the NG so you have no ability to assess my knowledge of it. Given that you're so on top of things, I'm sure you know the immigration and border protection is a federal responsibility and states (Governors) are not able to assume control of that. In addition, Mr. Obama has said he doesn't want the NG on the border, so the Perry would lose. The Jusitice Department has made it clear that they will sue states that try to exert force in border issues. I guess some like yourself don't know some basic Facts.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 PM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do I understand my own point? Yes. The question is whether or not you understand it. I am all for building a fence, I simply said the 700 miles did not seal the 1900 mile border, How could it?

What do you have a problem with? Sounds like you say you have a problem spending the money for the fence, but is that what you meant to say?
I am glad to see that you DO support a "fence".

Sorry, trying to have discussion with you is worse then trying to have one with a 14 year old, I am NOT saying you are 14.

"I simply said the 700 miles did not seal the 1900 mile border," Did I or anyone else make that claim?

A section WAS built and illegal crossing in that area went down.

It should have been completed over time. Allocating new money as needed to start a new section.
A section at a time. By now it could have been completed.

The longer you wait, the more it costs.

Just like you "open checkbook" statement. NO ONE suggested such a thing. YOU are trhe ONLY one who brought it up.

"What do you have a problem with? Sounds like you say you have a problem spending the money for the fence, but is that what you meant to say?"

Again, I don't know how you come up this stuff.

Read ALL my posts on this subject and you will see that I am FOR building a "fence"

It should have been done long ago but when the dems took control of the House they killed the repub bill for more money.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:55 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
This is true. Rick Perry has the Texas National Guard at his disposal and can call it up any time he wants and secure the entire Texas border. Why doesn't someone ask him and Governor Jan Brewer why they haven't called up the guard?
Because they can't take over the federal government's role.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You are simplifying this to the point of absurdity.

First, Reid shelves every bill the house sends to him. To blame the house is ridiculous.

Reid needs to work with the house Reps, but he refuses to. He and Obama are tying the Pubs hands while claiming it's the Pubs tying their hands, and here you are parroting the same nonsense.

I hope the Pubs grow some balls and don't cave like they always do.
What exactly are you saying?
Are you saying that the comprehensive immigration reform bill didn't pass with a bipartisan vote of 68-32? That's a pretty substantial block of republicans, my friend.
Are you saying that it isn't sitting in Congress right now waiting for action?
You know Congress can change and amend the bill to their liking don't you?
You know that the bill calls for a double, triple fence and the most comprehensive border security measures in the nations history first, before any illegals are granted residency?
If the republicans in congress brought the bill to the floor and amended it to suit their agenda and then sent it to the Senate for final passage, then you just might, have a point. Until then you're just smoke and mirrors.

How much more can the ball be in the House's court than that?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
What makes you think I don't know they can call the NG? I made no reference to the NG so you have no ability to assess my knowledge of it. Given that you're so on top of things, I'm sure you know the immigration and border protection is a federal responsibility and states (Governors) are not able to assume control of that. In addition, Mr. Obama has said he doesn't want the NG on the border, so the Perry would lose. The Jusitice Department has made it clear that they will sue states that try to exert force in border issues. I guess some like yourself don't know some basic Facts.
You asked why the border was not secured and that would be one way to do it. I was pointing out that the Governor can call up the NG if he is so inclinded and you are onlu ASSUMING you know what the feds would do if the Governor did so. The thing is neither side wants to be the ones that gets labeled as the ones that did it because it will not set well with many because, just in case you forgot, these are children for the most part it is would bad here and around the world. Not to mention that the NG are not exactly the best trained and desciplined soldiers and if something went wrong and they over raeacted and shot some of these kids there would be H#ll to pay and we both know it. I have a better Idea write your House Rep and tell them to pass the bill for the funds to deal with the issue, pssst it includes both double and even triple layered fences and then pass the immigration reform bill so that these children will not keep coming here believing they are on the way to US citizenship since the Bill would not cover them. Chew on that for a while then write your House of Representative.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you insist people must do something, but you refuse to authorize them to do it, and then you sit back and cry when nothing gets done. All righty then
I'm not as stupid as your friends that you sit around and chat up. The authorization has long ago been signed as law. The community activist refuses to enforce them.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finn_jarber View Post
your figure is from several years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies