Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:05 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That "oops" moment really was embarrassing, but then I thought of all the mistakes other people on the campaign trail make and they don't get the criticism that Perry got. He was probably nervous and traveling constantly with very little sleep. It was stupid, but so was Obama's 57 states comment, or his debate performance with Mitt Romney. I don't think I'll hold that moment against Perry, though I really hope we get some other choices. I'd have a real dilemma if the choice was Rick Perry or Hillary Clinton. I used to like Hillary, but not after Benghazi and certainly not after eight years of Obama. Then again, I'm not thrilled with the idea of Rick Perry either. I really liked Mitt Romney, though I know other conservatives didn't (I'm hoping they're kicking themselves for not going out to vote for Romney now).
I couldn't resist the "oops", but seriously--it is a waste of money being done in this manner and Rick Perry seems to be acting out of concern for his presidential run. If Congress won't approve the funds needed for the border protection that Perry wants, he should get on the phone and talk to his compatriots who have the ability to fund it. If he wants to be president, he really should learn how to negotiate politically with Congress now.

Look, I realize right-wingers want to blame Obama for this, but this is one big mess that everyone contributed to creating, and due to the morass in Congress, nothing at all is being done. The law granting refuge to non-contiguous immigrant children was signed into law under Bush to curb trafficking of children. Now Congress will not approve funds to help Perry unless the law is changed, but though Obama will agree to change the law, the Dems do not want to, plus the House doesn't want to help Obama look good before the elections. So Perry doesn't want to look weak, and he is in all likelihood running for pres in 2016, hence Texas is getting stuck with a huge bill for a show.

This actually is an issue that Congress and Obama could fix, and help fix together and help out Perry, but we are simply not that kind of country any more--there is no working together or pulling together--only vindictiveness and blame and, frankly, it is a shame that these kids and the American people are stuck in the middle. This is a humanitarian crisis and if all of the US officials could stop fighting, there might be a viable solution. These countries are so dangerous that those brave Congressmen who went on a fact-finding mission could not leave their hotels! That makes them pretty much the same as war zones.

Obama, GOP Agree on Border Crisis, Won?t Fix It -- NYMag

GOP Congressman Says Central America Too Dangerous for Congressmen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
horrible conditions in Central American countries.

Where have you been? Apparently you have not been to Central America.
Yes, but what's changed in the last several decades? Central America has always been a dangerous place. These kids aren't coming here because suddenly conditions in Central America have worsened. They're coming here hoping to be here long enough to be included in any amnesty deal.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Central Americans are not in any danger unless they participate in gang and/or drug activity

Wrong. Quite a few girls and women get raped and kids of all ages are getting forced into gangs. I thought you either started or participated in a thread about MS-13 coming with the minors and jumping them into gangs.
That stuff happens here too. Should we tell everyone in South Central LA and parts of Chicago and Baltimore and DC to seek refugee status in Canada?

Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yes, but what's changed in the last several decades? Central America has always been a dangerous place. These kids aren't coming here because suddenly conditions in Central America have worsened. They're coming here hoping to be here long enough to be included in any amnesty deal.
Exactly! Nothing's changed. They heard they won't get turned around if they turn themselves into the Border Patrol and they could get refugee status and all these promises of amnesty by Obama and not allowing any illegal aliens to be deported unless they are "convicted" criminals is a big encouragement to them all.

As for some American politicians going down there and being afraid to leave their hotel rooms well they are rich, notable and could be held for ransom. It's a different story with poor peasants down there. They would have nothing to worry about unless they were in a gang or dealing drugs. It's all meant to gain sympathy for these so-called children whom many are adults anyway.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:51 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly! Nothing's changed. They heard they won't get turned around if they turn themselves into the Border Patrol and they could get refugee status and all these promises of amnesty by Obama and not allowing any illegal aliens to be deported unless they are "convicted" criminals is a big encouragement to them all.

As for some American politicians going down there and being afraid to leave their hotel rooms well they are rich, notable and could be held for ransom. It's a different story with poor peasants down there. They would have nothing to worry about unless they were in a gang or dealing drugs. It's all meant to gain sympathy for these so-called children whom many are adults anyway.
Um--no not "exactly." Why don't you read about the historical background regarding this situation before spouting off? Stop blaming a situation that began in the 80s on Obama--that's absurd. Once again, people look at a situation that took years to create, that the US helped to create, and blame it on Obama.

Are you even aware that the "amnesty" you blame on Obama was a law that was created under the last administration?

American-Born Gangs Helping Drive Immigrant Crisis at U.S. Border

Central American Child Refugees: Made In The USA

Old 07-23-2014, 06:28 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
What should have been done is repeal the amnesty program.
Detain them AT the border before crossing, and provide food and water and no more , they would not occupy the american soil and be living on Mexican soil, and allowed only to go back through Mexico not into the US.
All illegals would be returned there and be allowed no further in the US ,
they are breaking the law. ==illegal alien .
They will accumulate there no doubt, but only on Mexican soil.
It would be appropriate to let them accumulate there, than have them infiltrate infect and create problems here.
And what of Mexico , why aren't they doing anything ?
If they are coming here for asylum, they need to fallow legal process just like every one else.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Um--no not "exactly." Why don't you read about the historical background regarding this situation before spouting off? Stop blaming a situation that began in the 80s on Obama--that's absurd. Once again, people look at a situation that took years to create, that the US helped to create, and blame it on Obama.

Are you even aware that the "amnesty" you blame on Obama was a law that was created under the last administration?

American-Born Gangs Helping Drive Immigrant Crisis at U.S. Border

Central American Child Refugees: Made In The USA
Yeah, sure it's all our fault! Their countries and corrupt governments cannot provide a safe haven for these kids because they're all in on it, but somehow that's our fault. There are a lot of countries all over the world that are awful, full of corruption, with warlords and banana republics. Are we to take the whole world in because of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies