Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:30 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It's kind of hard to think of this as a humanitarian crisis when there have been no reports of wars or horrible conditions in Central American countries. I can't believe these people didn't think of that first. When they want to push a climate change agenda, there's the news reporting summer weather as if it's something new when the same storms, wildfires, and floods happen every year or at least every few years. The older one gets, the more one sees the weather patterns repeating.

I do feel sorry for these kids and the ordeal they have gone through just getting here, but I do not believe most of them qualify for refugee status.

horrible conditions in Central American countries.

Where have you been? Apparently you have not been to Central America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:39 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Remember Perry's Neighborhood Watch Border Cameras? He set up cameras on the border, they were streamed to the internet, and the public could watch and report any suspicious activity. Costs were supposed to be recouped by forfeitures and website ad revenue. Didn't happen.

Virtual border surveillance program ineffective, cost millions - El Paso Times

Perry's border camera program costs $153,800 per arrest - Home - The Monitor

Old 07-23-2014, 03:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
horrible conditions in Central American countries.

Where have you been? Apparently you have not been to Central America.
Courtesy of Rep. Steve Pearce:

"Pearce said he and the rest of the House delegation that visited Honduras and Guatemala did not venture from their hotel very often because of the dangers..."

Rep. Pearce: Most fled Central America for economic reasons - The Santa Fe New Mexican: Politics And News

Old 07-23-2014, 03:14 PM

62,960 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Courtesy of Rep. Steve Pearce:

"Pearce said he and the rest of the House delegation that visited Honduras and Guatemala did not venture from their hotel very often because of the dangers..."

Rep. Pearce: Most fled Central America for economic reasons - The Santa Fe New Mexican: Politics And News
Probably because since they are American politicians they would have been afraid of being captured and held for ransom. Most Central Americans are not in any danger unless they participate in gang and/or drug activity. We have no "economic" refugee status. It's not a part of our immigration policies nor should it be.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:16 PM

62,960 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Remember Perry's Neighborhood Watch Border Cameras? He set up cameras on the border, they were streamed to the internet, and the public could watch and report any suspicious activity. Costs were supposed to be recouped by forfeitures and website ad revenue. Didn't happen.

Virtual border surveillance program ineffective, cost millions - El Paso Times

Perry's border camera program costs $153,800 per arrest - Home - The Monitor
It wasn't Perry's fault. There were many manufacturing bugs in those systems. If they had worked like they should have it would have helped a lot. I am sure it was compensated by the company who built them.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Probably because since they are American politicians they would have been afraid of being captured and held for ransom. Most Central Americans are not in any danger unless they participate in gang and/or drug activity. We have no "economic" refugee status. It's not a part of our immigration policies nor should it be.

Central Americans are not in any danger unless they participate in gang and/or drug activity

Wrong. Quite a few girls and women get raped and kids of all ages are getting forced into gangs. I thought you either started or participated in a thread about MS-13 coming with the minors and jumping them into gangs.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
It wasn't Perry's fault. There were many manufacturing bugs in those systems. If they had worked like they should have it would have helped a lot. I am sure it was compensated by the company who built them.
You say it is Obamas fault on health care but you give Perry a pass?

Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
What the .................
Lol--I thought the same thing. Send militia vigilantes like Bundy's ranch. Has international incident written all over it.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:33 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
I watched it online. The cameras worked but with people reporting every movement it it had many false positives, there weren't guards or sheriffs standing by to jump at your button clicks, the reports were not priority, and response times were slow.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Is this good idea?
Yes. I have no problem with 'militarizing' the border.

[that should have been done a long time ago]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies