Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:49 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
You can so easily make those parts on a mill/CNC machine and within 10 years cheap metal printers will be on the market..

You dont not the "arbitrary metal components" You have to have a metal firing pin, and the ammo is also metal...

And even if you had a shell casing and bullet made of out something other then metal some of the propellant has some trace of metal in it...So yeah the "Undetectable Firearms Act" bans things which can not and do not exist.
Has anyone been prosecuted under this federal law? Since gunlover explained how such an illegal gun can't exist, why did Congress take the time to actually write, debate and vote on such a terrible law? To be able to say they are doing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, why did you call out a person on the right, when I clearly shown you someone on the left is doing the same thing? You have been in this thread since page 2 correct?

When did I call you anti gun? You don't need to make stuff up, to attempt to prove a non-point...
I called it out because it was a particularly egregious example of name calling...especially given how poorly it was done. I didn't notice anything quite as idiotic as that one. Most of the others also involved more discussion whereas that particular one.....all it was was name calling. It added NOTHING to the conversation. Much like your whole debate here.

So on topic. I figure we're 5 years from someone being able to do this at home for a reasonable price. What weapons are out of patent? What sort of new weapons will we see as it becomes trivial to custom design weapons for folks?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:54 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
I know, its a shame some people are driven by envy and emotion..

I mean its not like we are using our rights, liberties, and our minds to make bans a thing of past and creating new products and methods of distribution of goods and information.

I find that fitting and the irony makes me love this tech even more if such a thing is possible..

Yeah he can advocate as much as he wants, its not really possible to put the genie back in the bottle..You do understand this fact?

Very "intellectual" of you.

complete lies..

You dont...And that is not a issue now and when or even if it is.Our rights and lives are not going to be put on hold, delayed or denied.

Well if you want to know what guns they shoot just look at what ever mass shooter has used, most are leftist.

Yeah because leftist are such deep thinker...Using opinion in place of facts, and emotion in place of reason...

Yeah you leftist are ruin this thread..but hey seeing your track record I guess ruining great things is in you nature...
Seems like you feel that anyone that dares question the idea of using a 3D Printer to make guns is anti gun ownership or against the 2nd A and treat them all as the "enemy". Thing is I only saw a handful of posters drop in say something snarky, the rest, including the poster you replied to were trying to discuss the topic in an adult and thinking manner. You seem awfully sensitive about this topic and when it comes to running on emotions here I would have to say you are doing a fine job. Try relaxing and try actually reading what posters say, and not what you think they might be trying to say, you might just enjoy the discussion more and maybe even learn a few facts while at it. Just a thought

Old 07-29-2014, 02:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
Quote:

God I can not wait until the affordable 3D metal printer arrives.
Well just because it's available, doesn't mean some state won't outlaw them, for safety reasons.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,746,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Has anyone been prosecuted under this federal law? Since gunlover explained how such an illegal gun can't exist, why did Congress take the time to actually write, debate and vote on such a terrible law? To be able to say they are doing something?
Back in the 80s with Glock and their polymer pistols were coming into popularity their was massive disinformation and lies(this was the era before the internet)

I know what you must be saying "Congress did not make a law based on a line in a Die Hard that is nothing more then creative license"..Look at their actions and it will become appears they have made laws based on far less and far far far stupid motives..Case in point Prohibition and The National Firearms Act of 1934.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I called it out because it was a particularly egregious example of name calling...especially given how poorly it was done. I didn't notice anything quite as idiotic as that one. Most of the others also involved more discussion whereas that particular one.....all it was was name calling. It added NOTHING to the conversation. Much like your whole debate here.

So on topic. I figure we're 5 years from someone being able to do this at home for a reasonable price. What weapons are out of patent? What sort of new weapons will we see as it becomes trivial to custom design weapons for folks?
Ten years for cheap metal..

AR-10, AR-15, 1911s, but then again if you are not selling it you are not violating the patent...So the holders have no standing to sue you.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:04 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Ten years for cheap metal..

AR-10, AR-15, 1911s, but then again if you are not selling it you are not violating the patent...So the holders have no standing to sue you.
10 years? I dont buy that at all. Theres a lot of R&D going on with laser sintering, and some really advanced metals already, SpaceX printed a freaking rocket engine! Yes it was expensive (inconel 625) material, but not that bad. And as time goes by those prices are going to come down a lot.

The 1911 is a great weapon as well. And you're right, its out of patent. Look for gun prices to drop as well.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:06 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
So we should lose our rights when bad things happen?

We need to limit rights, freedoms and technology to appease emotionalist?
No, we should not be idiots and make some rules to balance rights versus negative outcomes.

Do you know why driver's licenses and red lights and green lights exist?

Hint: it's because when everyone exercises their "freedom" to drive however they want, including the young and the blind, bad stuff happens.

Not every single rule is going to "take away all your freedom," and some limitation of freedom is normal and good. That's why we live in a society that makes rules to manage such things as opposed to a cave or a jungle.

If everyone has the freedom to do absolutely anything and everything, then you're back to a bunch of apes swinging from trees.

It always impresses me when I have to explain very elementary concepts of civilization to conservatives.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
No, we should not be idiots and make some rules to balance rights versus negative outcomes.
How are we being "idiots" by banning new technology just because criminals might use it..

How about we ban cars criminals use them.

How about we ban cellphones criminals them.

How about we ban laptops criminals them.

How about we ban airplanes criminals them.

How about we ban the internet criminal it.

Those rules can never be enforced...You do understand that right?

What is the negative outcome of this?

What is a bigger negative outcome one or two criminals getting a gun from this method?(As if they could not get one on the black market already) Or stagnating and retarding technology and the Civil, Natural and Constitutionally protected rights out of fear, lies and stupidity?

Quote:
Do you know why driver's licenses and red lights and green lights exist?
Driving is not a right that is protected in the Constitution.. It could be debated that it is protected to the states to decide under the 9th and 10th Amendment.

But hey great non-sequitur.

Quote:
Hint: it's because when everyone exercises their "freedom" to drive however they want, including the young and the blind, bad stuff happens.
its a privilege to drive, its a right to keep and bear arms...

Quote:
Not every single rule is going to "take away all your freedom," and some limitation of freedom is normal and good. That's why we live in a society that makes rules to manage such things as opposed to a cave or a jungle.
No, limitations on freedom that are based on lies, myth, opinion, and personal bigotry are never a good thing.

We have rules they are found in this great thing called the Constitution They are called the Bill Of Rights here are the ones that protect our right to keep and bear arms and by extensions all other rights.

The 2nd Amendment

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The 9th Amendment

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The 10th Amendment

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The powers that are delegated to the United States by the Constitution are found in Article 1 and Section 8. and are the following

he Delegated Powers are as follows:[2]

"The Congress shall have power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, [in order] to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

.To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

.To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

.To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization;

.To establish uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

.To coin [not print] Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin;

.To fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

.To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

.To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

.To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

.To constitute Tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

.To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;

.To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

.To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

.To provide and maintain a Navy;

.To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

.To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

.To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;
.To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings.

So in short this is the story. We the people of this free nation have the right to keep and bear arms in order to keep ourselves live and free and our nation free for all enemies both foreign and domestic.

We have that right and the Federal Government and the State Government can not strip it away or limit it.

They can not limit it or strip it away because they dont have the power to..

Quote:
If everyone has the freedom to do absolutely anything and everything, then you're back to a bunch of apes swinging from trees.
Really? You know up until about 100 years ago we were for the most part completely free..And guess what we did not all die because we can pick our out light bulbs and the Federal Government was not controlling every last thing.

"I believe that liberty is the only genuinely valuable thing that men have invented, at least in the field of government, in a thousand years. I believe that it is better to be free than to be not free, even when the former is dangerous and the latter safe. I believe that the finest qualities of man can flourish only in free air -- that progress made under the shadow of the policeman's club is false progress, and of no permanent value. I believe that any man who takes the liberty of another into his keeping is bound to become a tyrant, and that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave."-H. L. Mencken

"it is better for a man to go wrong in freedom than to go right in chains."- Thomas Henry Huxley

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The boisterous sea of liberty is never without a wave.".Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
It always impresses me when I have to explain very elementary concepts of civilization to conservatives.
It disturb me when I have to explain the very elementary concept of Liberty to leftist..

Old 07-29-2014, 06:22 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:
I know, its a shame some people are driven by envy and emotion..

I mean its not like we are using our rights, liberties, and our minds to make bans a thing of past and creating new products and methods of distribution of goods and information.
You DO see that there is huge difference between distribution of say, a cup, vs a distribution of a gun right? Right? It's one thing to say, "Hey man, I can live with problems arise out of gun printing." It's something else to say that gun distribution is like just any other distribution of goods, because that is a moronic statement.

Quote:

I find that fitting and the irony makes me love this tech even more if such a thing is possible..
Yeah he can advocate as much as he wants, its not really possible to put the genie back in the bottle..You do understand this fact?
Why else do you think we are discussing this here?

Quote:
Very "intellectual" of you.
Thank you.

Quote:
complete lies..
17,362 injuries resulted from accidental shoots in 2012. Yes, roughly THAT many people shoot themselves or others every years. Look it up:

WISQARS Nonfatal Injury Reports

Quote:
You dont...And that is not a issue now and when or even if it is.Our rights and lives are not going to be put on hold, delayed or denied.
So basically you'd wait until some kid prints a gun and accidentally shoots his friend before you feel the need to do something about it?

Not thinking ahead, not planning ahead - that sounds pretty much in line with how a conservative thinks, I reckon.

Quote:
Well if you want to know what guns they shoot just look at what ever mass shooter has used, most are leftist.
Yeah yeah yeah, I'm sure in your wold, all the Marvel villains are also lefties along with Darth Vader and whoever those bad guys are in the Harry Potter movies.

Quote:
Yeah because leftist are such deep thinker...Using opinion in place of facts, and emotion in place of reason...
Ha ha ha. Talk about using emotion in place of reason, I give you this:

Quote:
Our rights and lives are not going to be put on hold, delayed or denied.
Conservatives are some of the most emotional people I've known. They are the type who accuse others of being emotional while they are screaming with rage.

Quote:
Yeah you leftist are ruin this thread..but hey seeing your track record I guess ruining great things is in you nature...
Ruining great things?? You think this thread is a "great thing"?!!

Wow, really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies