Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How is wanting to spend the money more effectively to house more people on the housing waiting list, hate?
"More money"? From where? The government doesn't have any money, so that MONEY has to come from hard working taxpayers who are tired of funding able bodied adults. Yea, yea, what about the poor widdle children. Can't afford them, then don't have them.

It's not hate, it's exhaustion. Exhaustion from working your fingers to the bone, and making smart financial decisions, then seeing all your hard earned money go to those that are lazy and/or made stupid financial decisions. The truly needy should get help. But we all know the majority of those that are claiming "need" aren't truly in that category.

You think money should be spent more effectively? Then put your money where your mouth is, and build that housing. Or do you only think that it should be paid for with other people's money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 PM

13,965 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
doesnt matter, he has a point.

The article says 4 people out of thousands got this voucher.
Matter of degree, and the gripe is a matter of kind.

If 1 person in 6 billion gets this voucher, the system is warped, twisted and busted. Wrong is wrong regardless of how many times the error is committed.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:42 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
There are lots of issues with the HCV program but honestly, I don't see this one as that big of a deal. HCV (Section 8) is now being used to diversify incomes and especially to deconcentrate poverty as a way to decrease crime and broaden opportunities for low income children especially, who will have access to higher quality educations being in a higher income neighborhood.

So this story shows to me that HCV is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

As someone who has worked as a consultant for housing authorities and who is very knowledgeable in regards to affordable housing programs and initiatives, the main gripe I have with Section 8 is that there is no time limit for them. The amount of dollars expended by the program for those 4 families is miniscule compared to the many families who use vouchers for 10-15 years. They are are the ones who are keeping other families on the wait list. I personally feel 5 years is enough for vouchers. In that time one can finish a vocational program and get themselves in a higher income bracket where they shouldn't need voucher assistance in most areas. Chicago has a lot of affordable housing options some other major metropolitan areas do not, but it does and to me it makes no sense to continually let people live in homes using vouchers.

Thanks for posting the article OP. It actually has proven a fact that I have continuously mentioned in these forums here on CD. Poor people, when they get Section 8 vouchers usually do not live in poor neighborhoods. They live in very nice places, usually middle to upper income areas so "low income" neighborhoods, and especially what some people call "Section 8 apartments" are not all filled up with people who have vouchers. They are not dumb usually and will go where they can get the most amenities or best education for their kids. Especially in places like Chicago and Atlanta where public housing for families has been demolished and there were thousands of vouchers issued to former public housing families.

Oh and FYI people who get vouchers have to pay usually a minimum of 30% of their income for rent. Also, I would bet that the majority of the people living in the high rise are elderly persons. They also get Section 8 and most of the time they want to live in the nicest places and I don't blame them.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Not surprised. I often see people on section 8 asking for nice areas and vouchers often in thousands a month. Add in the generous Link Card (formerly food stamps), medicaid, utilities paid, free phone, free college, free daycare, and several hundred dollars or more a month to use as they please and a gift certificate every month to buy whatever they want. Why work? Instead of going to college I should have had an illegitimate kid that taxpayers could support.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Where is Ms O`Leary`s Cow when we need it..

Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I still don't understand why public housing are not apartments ONLY... Such a waste of time, space, and money to build public housing full of houses... the comment is always, the poor should have the ability to live in a house... a shelter is a shelter, wasting resources reduces the ability to provide resources for others... the wait list for government housing is high... so the bright Democrats decide to have low volume (single family homes) versus high volume (apartments)... idiots...
Having a high volume of poor people is a dumb idea. That is why it failed the first.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:55 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
"More money"?
No, not more money. I said spend the money "more effectively" than on $3,000/month rent public assistance apartments.
Quote:
It's not hate, it's exhaustion. Exhaustion from working your fingers to the bone, and making smart financial decisions, then seeing all your hard earned money go to those that are lazy and/or made stupid financial decisions. The truly needy should get help. But we all know the majority of those that are claiming "need" aren't truly in that category.
Oh, believe me. I get that. I disengaged from the exhaustion and retired. I'm MUCH less of a tax slave now. It feels good!

Starve the beast!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
For childless adults, why not allow (Sec 8) rooms instead of apartments? Think of how any more people could be adequately housed?
The single elderly and or disabled often use Section 8 to rent small studio apartments. Quite a few of my Meals on Wheels clients live in such apartments. They are elderly and blind.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,023 times
You can take a person out of the ghetto but can you take the ghetto out of a person? Will be interesting to see if these lucky folks are good neighbors.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There are lots of issues with the HCV program but honestly, I don't see this one as that big of a deal. HCV (Section 8) is now being used to diversify incomes and especially to deconcentrate poverty as a way to decrease crime and broaden opportunities for low income children especially, who will have access to higher quality educations being in a higher income neighborhood.

So this story shows to me that HCV is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

As someone who has worked as a consultant for housing authorities and who is very knowledgeable in regards to affordable housing programs and initiatives, the main gripe I have with Section 8 is that there is no time limit for them. The amount of dollars expended by the program for those 4 families is miniscule compared to the many families who use vouchers for 10-15 years. They are are the ones who are keeping other families on the wait list. I personally feel 5 years is enough for vouchers. In that time one can finish a vocational program and get themselves in a higher income bracket where they shouldn't need voucher assistance in most areas. Chicago has a lot of affordable housing options some other major metropolitan areas do not, but it does and to me it makes no sense to continually let people live in homes using vouchers.

Thanks for posting the article OP. It actually has proven a fact that I have continuously mentioned in these forums here on CD. Poor people, when they get Section 8 vouchers usually do not live in poor neighborhoods. They live in very nice places, usually middle to upper income areas so "low income" neighborhoods, and especially what some people call "Section 8 apartments" are not all filled up with people who have vouchers. They are not dumb usually and will go where they can get the most amenities or best education for their kids. Especially in places like Chicago and Atlanta where public housing for families has been demolished and there were thousands of vouchers issued to former public housing families.

Oh and FYI people who get vouchers have to pay usually a minimum of 30% of their income for rent. Also, I would bet that the majority of the people living in the high rise are elderly persons. They also get Section 8 and most of the time they want to live in the nicest places and I don't blame them.
Why am I not surprised that you would support this nonsense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies