Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not to mention that Obamaphones are limited to one per address, so if you crash in someone else's basement you have to check to find out if anyone else in the house already has an Obamaphone.
You'll have to tell the lady that was in front of me at the Dollar General the other day who was bragging that she's got 4 of them in her house, one for her, and 1 for each of her kids..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Presidente Osama bot me a Beemer!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:54 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Leases specify the names and number of occupants. If the proverbial boat load of grand kids showed for an extended stay, management would be all over it.

This is a doorman building with 24/7 security.

Given almost 50% of Section 8 recipients are elderly and/ or disabled, how likely are they to be involved in crime?

Btw, the majority of recipients are white.
Where's the proof that the majority of recipients are white?

This would be a great news camera opportunity for Jesse and Al if they kick people out for having too many kids. They'd be all over that.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives never get tired of it. conservatives are convinced that poor people are the problem. conservatives hate poor people.
Conservatives don't hate poor people. Conservatives hate poor people that aren't willing to do something about themselves being poor and poor people that expect society to take care of them.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I of course dont mind getting vouchers, especially at $3K a pop..

But thanks for telling me what I already know..
From your post I thought you might be a bit clueless and rented out your basement which would qualify you calling yourself a landlord.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:13 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,979 times
The "better schools" argument is BS since Chicago busses kids all around the city trying to create the utopian mix of kids in any school. It's quite ridiculous, really. My brother lives in a middle class neighborhood with a nice local CPS grade school a couple blocks from his home. His daughter couldn't attend that school, despite his desire that she do so; She has to be bussed 3 neighborhoods away to another school. They have an acquaintance in that neighborhood who would like to send their kid to that local school, but is forced to bus his child to the school in my brother's neighborhood. And people wonder why middle class people flock to the suburbs when they start forming families.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
The "better schools" argument is BS since Chicago busses kids all around the city trying to create the utopian mix of kids in any school.
Sorry, that's just patently false.
Quote:
"In September 2009, the consent decree that forced the creation of the desegregation plan was overturned on the grounds that the schools no longer experienced “the remnants of past discrimination.”
School Desegregation in America's 'Most Segregated' City

The Chicago Public School system simply doesn't have a desegregation plan.

They DO have some very good selective admissions public schools, but there's not enough slots for everyone who applies to get admitted to one. The last I saw, there were 8 applications for every one admission slot available.

The anecdotes you cite may very well be due to the fact that those are selective admission schools, and the kids of which you speak weren't admitted to them.

More info, citing the increasing segregation at selective enrollment schools because too few minorities are qualifying for admission:
http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader...s-a-turnaround

Last edited by InformedConsent; 07-29-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 01:15 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
The "better schools" argument is BS since Chicago busses kids all around the city trying to create the utopian mix of kids in any school. It's quite ridiculous, really. My brother lives in a middle class neighborhood with a nice local CPS grade school a couple blocks from his home. His daughter couldn't attend that school, despite his desire that she do so; She has to be bussed 3 neighborhoods away to another school. They have an acquaintance in that neighborhood who would like to send their kid to that local school, but is forced to bus his child to the school in my brother's neighborhood. And people wonder why middle class people flock to the suburbs when they start forming families.
I say you are BS. Chicago does not bus children. They have zoned neighborhood schools and they have magnet/selective enrollment schools that require testing to be admitted to said schools. If your brother lives near a selective enrollment school, his daughter cannot go there unless she submits to a barrage of testing and if she passes the test she will be assigned to whatever school out of their top 5 that has an opening for her or waitlisted.

If they live on the North side, more often than not, they have good neighborhood schools for your niece. They also have some good schools in various southside Chicago neighborhoods that are neighborhood schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What happens when their hooligan grandchildren come to stay with them? This happened quite a bit. I'm sure you are aware of the Memphis study that showed crime followed Section 8 residents?
Crime is less likely to follow when they move into a more wealthy neighborhood. Not too many people living on Michigan Ave will tolerate grandma's hooligan grandchildren. Grandma will get kicked out of the program if she has the police come to her house and CHA (or their representatives as CHA contracts out a lot of their services to private companies) will hear about grandma's hooligans if they happen in those $3000 a month apartments.

I have seen multitudes of studies that show both positives and negatives for the HCV program but all in all it does do what it is supposed to do - de-concentrate poverty.

ETA: I kind of remember the study you are referring to in regards to Memphis. I think it was featured in a magazine, I did a google and found it on Atlantic Monthly. Based on that article, HUD also did a study performed by an independent agency (not HUD itself) to see if there was a causation between HCV recipients and crime and it was found that there was no significant relationship.

That said, many in housing do believe that when voucher recipients move to lower income suburban areas there is a tendency for increased crime due to those areas being unstable. I am not in the loop in regards to these super vouchers in Chicago but they may be trying to curtail this from happening in Chicago via the usage of these additional funds and sending voucher recipients to higher income areas. I know many people and have in-laws who live in the Chatham neighborhood on the south side who felt that voucher recipients and former public housing residents were causing issues in their neighborhoods along with voucher recipients in my MIL's neighborhood. Due to those areas not being as stable, HUD even agrees that it is more likely crime would increase in those areas when more poverty stricken people move in and the tipping point of poverty level residents reach 40% or above.

In that respect, I can see using these "super vouchers" in order to curtail crime. And FWIW, I looked up Memphis from 200-2012 crime here on City Data and though there were some increases, there were also some decreases and the crime rate is lower there now than it was in 2000 so I cannot attest to the findings of those who did the initial study. One also has to realize that the era they were speaking of was during the beginnings of this recession and when recessions hit and people lose jobs, criime always goes up, but the 1990s was one of the highest eras for crime in my lifetime and practically every major urban area's crime has decrease substantially since then even with the demolition of public housing and the issuance of hundreds of thousands of vouchers. One also has to place the fault of "bad tenants" on landlords. I am a landlord, I cannot rent to Section 8 tenants due to my work as it would be a conflict of interest, but regardless of the tenant type, I give my number to neighbors in case there are issues and I have a tight lease and perform annual background checks on tenants. One also has to have a minimum of bi-annual home inspections IMO. I hire a company for this but I still go and look at my houses twice a year and the company goes twice a year too so it is quarterly. If more landlords weren't out to just have "guaranteed rent" from HCV and were concerned with being responsible property owners, many of the issues with problem residents wouldn't exist. The landlord is the main person(s) who can get a tenant kicked out of HCV. Housing authorities only do "quality standards' inspections of the house and it can be a lengthy process to get rid of a problem tenant through the housing authority. But landlords can get them out within a few months at the most.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 07-29-2014 at 01:47 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 03:57 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Conservatives don't hate poor people. Conservatives hate poor people that aren't willing to do something about themselves being poor and poor people that expect society to take care of them.
Conservatives do not understand that not everyone has the ability to better themselves but they will continue to blame the poor because they are afraid they will one day be poor.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
???

Not to mention that Obamaphones are limited to one per address, so if you crash in someone else's basement you have to check to find out if anyone else in the house already has an Obamaphone.
What's an Obamaphone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies