Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:41 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,292,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm just blown away by the $3,000/month public assistance apartments for 4 people when over 15,000 are still waiting for housing.
I'm blown away people blow 36 grand a year in rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 03:51 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,834 times
Sounds like a really interesting experiment. Will the kids growing up in this break out of the cycle of poverty if they grow up around higher earners and better performing schools? A major waste of money, to be sure, but they could probably get some grant funding with university researchers to see how this changes the family dynamic.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:37 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Sounds like a really interesting experiment. Will the kids growing up in this break out of the cycle of poverty if they grow up around higher earners and better performing schools? A major waste of money, to be sure, but they could probably get some grant funding with university researchers to see how this changes the family dynamic.
Already been done. Memphis gave out vouchers to move people out of the projects and into better parts of town and better schools. Instead of helping those kids succeed, it increased the crime across the city and ruined middle class schools. The people who truly hoped to improve their lives were caught in the same problems that plagued them in the projects. And the middle class neighborhoods with hard working people were ruined. This is a great read, it really helps you understand the issue and it's real world effects:
American Murder Mystery - Hanna Rosin - The Atlantic

Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Are kids involved here? I didn't read that but I saw speculation that they may be elderly who need accessible housing. I can see that in a way, especially if there is a critical lack of it where it's needed most.

I'd rather have simple, safe, accessible housing be the norm though. It makes more financial sense, and just sense in general since everyone can live in accessible housing. Everything new should be designed to allow aging in place.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Are kids involved here? I didn't read that but I saw speculation that they may be elderly who need accessible housing. I can see that in a way, especially if there is a critical lack of it where it's needed most.

I'd rather have simple, safe, accessible housing be the norm though. It makes more financial sense, and just sense in general since everyone can live in accessible housing. Everything new should be designed to allow aging in place.
The identities of the reciepients have not been disclosed.
Almost 50 % of voucher recipients are elderly andor disabled.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,013 times
Finally. Put the welfare folks in the neighborhoods of the rich who claim to love them. Every millionaire should have a poor has hell ghetto welfare queen as a neighbor.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What happens when their hooligan grandchildren come to stay with them? This happened quite a bit. I'm sure you are aware of the Memphis study that showed crime followed Section 8 residents?
Leases specify the names and number of occupants. If the proverbial boat load of grand kids showed for an extended stay, management would be all over it.

This is a doorman building with 24/7 security.

Given almost 50% of Section 8 recipients are elderly and/ or disabled, how likely are they to be involved in crime?

Btw, the majority of recipients are white.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Anti-poor propaganda? Did someone hit a nerve?
Nope just go thru all the threads, what do you see? Mostly anti-poor propaganda or obama sucks!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I lived in Des Moines and always wondered how people with a restricted income lived in the nicest apartments in town.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:41 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Gee don't you guys ever get tired of your antipoor propaganda? Your worse then the race hate groups. Whats next for a thread? "Poor man jaywalked, police citted the poor jaywalker, OMG! we are using taxpayer money to pay for the cop and the sidewalk for the poor jaywalker.
conservatives never get tired of it. conservatives are convinced that poor people are the problem. conservatives hate poor people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies