Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:56 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Conservatives do not understand that not everyone has the ability to better themselves but they will continue to blame the poor because they are afraid they will one day be poor.

Please explain how this is the case? It doesn't take much effort to better yourself. And how does a fear of being poor one day make one blame poor people? What is wrong with expecting people to at least make a real effort to carry their own weight?

By the way, charity isn't just a liberal or conservative thing, so people need to stop with that crap. Both sides can be quite charitable, at least in my experience. Just more partisan garbage spewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Why do the grandkids have to be "hooligans"? LOL

Old 07-29-2014, 09:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Conservatives do not understand that not everyone has the ability to better themselves but they will continue to blame the poor because they are afraid they will one day be poor.
Actually everyone has the ability. There are many programs to help people go to college or trade school who are poor. People who keep making babies they can't afford just don't want to work and want welfare.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
People earning $100k/yr and up, with professional careers, do not want low-income people as neighbors - usually for good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
You can take a person out of the ghetto but can you take the ghetto out of a person?
No truer words.

As a former landlord, I would fear my better tenants would move - unless the low-income tenants are REALLY stellar in their appearance, behavior and their associations.

Which was not my experience. Low income/ghetto originating people bring the trash with them, generally. No matter how good they are, they know people who aren't - and sooner or later it results in disaster.

I rented to hard-working formerly inner-city black girl. She was great. Rent on time, 10 years on the job w/a major insurance company. Stellar tenant for five years - until one day, her ex-boyfriend murdered her sister in the apartment and left the body there to rot for three days while he kidnapped my tenant and drove around town with her in the trunk of his car. True story. In all our papers. (Cops did finally catch him after someone reported seeing him in a movie theatre)

When neither tenant nor sister were heard from after a couple of days, their brothers called me to come over. Our keys didn't work - she'd changed the locks. When I left, brothers broke a window and found sister's body on LR floor in my building. I was then called at work that same night by my son when the police called our house. I was a night supervisor in a law firm. Sent my son over there to meet the cops. All my good tenants left after that incident. I sold the building 18 months later.

I would be REALLY ticked off if I owned a high-end building and was required to rent to low-income people. I would never do it voluntarily.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-29-2014 at 10:44 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,801 times
Rahm wants to take 1,000 of the most recent illegals. Will they go to the top of the voucher waiting list?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
People earning $100k/yr and up, with professional careers, do not want low-income people as neighbors - usually for good reason.

No truer words.

As a former landlord, I would fear my better tenants would move - unless the low-income tenants are REALLY stellar in their appearance, behavior and their associations.

Which was not my experience. Low income/ghetto originating people bring the trash with them, generally. No matter how good they are, they know people who aren't - and sooner or later it results in disaster.

I rented to hard-working formerly inner-city black girl. She was great. Rent on time, 10 years on the job w/a major insurance company. Stellar tenant for five years - until one day, her ex-boyfriend murdered her sister in the apartment and left the body there to rot for three days while he kidnapped my tenant and drove around town with her in the trunk of his car. True story. In all our papers. (Cops did finally catch him after someone reported seeing him in a movie theatre)

When neither tenant nor sister were heard from after a couple of days, their brothers called me to come over. Our keys didn't work - she'd changed the locks. When I left, brothers broke a window and found sister's body on LR floor in my building. I was then called at work that same night by my son when the police called our house. I was a night supervisor in a law firm. Sent my son over there to meet the cops. All my good tenants left after that incident. I sold the building 18 months later.

I would be REALLY ticked off if I owned a high-end building and was required to rent to low-income people. I would never do it voluntarily.
I have heard similar tales occur in various places that were not "formerly inner-city black girls" . Horrible crimes occur in this country on a daily basis and not just to "low income/ghetto originating people."

Also, no landlord is required to rent to Section 8 tenants. They choose to do so and most do because it is "guaranteed" rent and they can also inflate their monthly rental fees to a higher amount since the government will pick up the tab.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Actually everyone has the ability. There are many programs to help people go to college or trade school who are poor. People who keep making babies they can't afford just don't want to work and want welfare.
And the rich want welfare to make more profit, eventhou they had record profits the last few year. If they don't get it they will leave america. No laziness there!

Old 07-30-2014, 08:12 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Chicago poor people have to ask themselves does having a job really worth it? People might think getting 180 a month on a food card, a Obamaphone, and free health care Medicaid, they are better off not working. All they need is some ones basement to live in or a couch to sleep on. People that are on the dole should not be living in high end apartments and homes, if the ghetto is all they can afford that is where they belong.
Redev is paid for by taxpayers, going on everywhere. CAF had some very interesting observations while she was at HUD.

(First link)
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post35862467

A whole long list of changes happened in the 90s. This was part of it.
Community Reinvestment Act
Riegle-Neal Interstate Banking and Branching Efficiency Act ...

Redev at work.
Goldman's Tax-Free Building Loan Makes Liberty Bonds
quote:
Two-bedroom apartments at 63 Wall Street and 90 West Street, financed with Liberty Bonds, are renting for $4,200 a month. Another building financed with the bonds, at 2 Gold Street, is renting three-bedroom units for $5,400 a month.

The article only mentions 4 vouchers. Many of the owners of these properties are real estate investment companies. Can track them back to bank holding companies, most likely.

Just look at what Blackstone was doing.
Meet Wall Street. Your New Landlord.

quote from OP article:
But HUD allowed the CHA to change its rules in 2010, pushing the cap up to 300 percent in designated “opportunity areas,” such as downtown and Lakeview, where poverty is low and subsidized housing is scarce.
Some building owners are happy for the business. Justin Elliott, principal at Chicago-based Marc Realty Residential, has few complaints after the CHA approved supervouchers for 36 leases this year and last in a 96-unit building Marc owned at 2300 S. Michigan Ave. Marc recently sold the building, which had the most supervouchers by far among all properties, according to the CHA.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
I'll bet they can cram 10-15 additional relatives in those nice apartments.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:36 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Please explain how this is the case? It doesn't take much effort to better yourself. And how does a fear of being poor one day make one blame poor people? What is wrong with expecting people to at least make a real effort to carry their own weight?

By the way, charity isn't just a liberal or conservative thing, so people need to stop with that crap. Both sides can be quite charitable, at least in my experience. Just more partisan garbage spewing.
Yes it does take a lot of effort it takes money it takes having a certain amount of intelligence and ability.If ii was that easy we would see a lot more people doing it. As long as you are working you are carrying your own weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies