Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times

Advertisements

For there to be evidence, there must be a crime. Old tapes are routinely destroyed, once their usefulness has waned. No harm, no foul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 09:27 AM

223 posts, read 604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
It's a lot of crap IMHO. I WANT the terrorist prisoners tortured as much as possible until we get any and all information from them. The crap about them doing the same to our people if captured is ridiculous! They behead innocent people already! They have no qualms at all about torturing and killing. Please don't give me the garbage that "It will bring us down to their level". We don't go capture innocent reporters or civilians and harm them. We're talking about terrorists and I don't care how much they suffer.

If records were destroyed, I really don't care. A lot of hype by the MSM as far as I'm concerned.
Fine, you are angry at terrorists and want revenge...I get it; but when it gets out of hand and this country becomes a police state and people are being "interrogated" for smaller offenses like talking bad about the government, may you and all of the others condoning this behavior be one of the first accused so the rest of us stable minded individuals can say I told you so.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
For there to be evidence, there must be a crime. Old tapes are routinely destroyed, once their usefulness has waned. No harm, no foul.
If I find the bones of an animal, it could be extrapolated that by the mere fact that the bones exist, that it is evidence that a living animal once existed. One does not need a crime in order to have evidence.

Besides, if you took the time to actually read the bottom portion you might understand a very simple thing, so lets read along together shall we.

Quote:
US District Judge Henry Kennedy, who in 2005 ordered that the US preserve "all evidence and information" regarding torture and other abuses, has scheduled a Friday hearing to investigate the destruction of the tapes.
You see, whether or not a crime was committed, a judge asked that the tapes be preserved and they were not. Why does the fact a judge's orders were not followed constitutes a crime in itself?

Old 12-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
If I find the bones of an animal, it could be extrapolated that by the mere fact that the bones exist, that it is evidence that a living animal once existed. One does not need a crime in order to have evidence.

Besides, if you took the time to actually read the bottom portion you might understand a very simple thing, so lets read along together shall we.

You see, whether or not a crime was committed, a judge asked that the tapes be preserved and they were not. Why does the fact a judge's orders were not followed constitutes a crime in itself?
It's according to your definition of "torture and abuse" and even whether he has jurisdiction. Also, there must be a crime when the charge is obstruction and/or spoilation.

BTW, no need to be condescending.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:53 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,880,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
Fine, you are angry at terrorists and want revenge...I get it; but when it gets out of hand and this country becomes a police state and people are being "interrogated" for smaller offenses like talking bad about the government, may you and all of the others condoning this behavior be one of the first accused so the rest of us stable minded individuals can say I told you so.

Merry Christmas!
And just who's saying ANYONE in this country is being interogated or tortured? We're FAR from being a police state and were much closer to it when the Libs are running everything. Remember the DemocRAT party is one of more and more government power. I still have no problem with terrorists who are caught on the battle field being tortured.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:20 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,822 times
I can't believe that people are in favor of secretly destroying important documents of any kind. No wait, this is the new america, I can believe it. Just as long as they are in favor if the gov destroyed the documents saying they paid they're taxes. Yeah, thats what I thought.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
I can't believe that people are in favor of secretly destroying important documents of any kind. No wait, this is the new america, I can believe it. Just as long as they are in favor if the gov destroyed the documents saying they paid they're taxes. Yeah, thats what I thought.
What documents are you referring to?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:27 PM

223 posts, read 604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
And just who's saying ANYONE in this country is being interogated or tortured? We're FAR from being a police state and were much closer to it when the Libs are running everything. Remember the DemocRAT party is one of more and more government power. I still have no problem with terrorists who are caught on the battle field being tortured.
Don't you fear the slippery slope?

Where does it end?

As much as I am against the torture of even our worst enemies, I will admit that I see the perceived benefit of doing so in cases of national security...I'm talking Jack Bauer stuff here; but don't you think that all we will get is bogus info or forced confessions?

I also have a huge problem with the world's view of our policy of torture; aren't we supposed to set a world standard ghere as the lone superpower?...I know hardcore righties don't care how the world views us, but that is just an irrational knee jerk reaction; face it...We have to care how the world views us...are you telling me that even the "Lonestar" Bush administration doesn't care how the world views us? Pfft, they kiss the Saudi's butts pretty good for me to buy that one.

Listen, if they are going to use torture to protect our country, and the professionals think it will work, so be it...I am not a professional and I have no say in it anyway...But for god's sake, can't they keep it under wraps a little bit better? I mean, torturing some muslim dude from Canada and then letting him back into circulation with the ability to file lawsuits against our government and to tell his story isn't good for anyone...I'm just sayin...

Old 12-21-2007, 05:48 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,127,849 times
Who would be the authority or an authority that would convince people that this Administration is tainted, as tainted as Nixon's in the 70s.

How many people with credible information will be disputed?

Here's an article where a CIA analyst says evidence is sufficient to impeach:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...S_01/507359195

Here's an article from a respected, former Congresswoman, and someone who was directly involved in Watergate, namely, Elizabeth Holtzman:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060130/holtzman

Are we so blind that even in the light of growing evidence, we continue to support the President, his Administration, his treatment of an insurgency, his disrespect for the Constitution, his blatant disregard for the voting public and his international peers.

Are we waiting for another Krystalnacht before we take action?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Who would be the authority or an authority that would convince people that this Administration is tainted, as tainted as Nixon's in the 70s.

How many people with credible information will be disputed?

Here's an article where a CIA analyst says evidence is sufficient to impeach:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...S_01/507359195

Here's an article from a respected, former Congresswoman, and someone who was directly involved in Watergate, namely, Elizabeth Holtzman:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060130/holtzman

Are we so blind that even in the light of growing evidence, we continue to support the President, his Administration, his treatment of an insurgency, his disrespect for the Constitution, his blatant disregard for the voting public and his international peers.

Are we waiting for another Krystalnacht before we take action?
The only problem with that nightmarish phenomenon is that the Jew-haters are on the other side of the aisle...

Last edited by ontheroad; 12-21-2007 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Copyright protected cartoon deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies