Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:08 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Are we waiting for another Krystalnacht before we take action?
It would seem many would welcome a modern day Krystalnacht as long as it was wrapped with the flag and in the name of the homeland security as declared by a modern day czar.

I had my fill of executive office impropriety with Clinton's antics of playing politics with the truth. After seven years of obfuscation, secrecy, paranoia extraordinary, and over seen by an invertebrate Congress... I hold my head in my hands in complete disgust.

Not sure what is worse, the idea that we may embrace torture or that we as a people can now rationalize acting like terrorist by justifying it in the name of retribution.

So much for the dream of an enlightened nation of people our forefathers once envisioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 06:09 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,127,849 times
This issue is not about Jew haters or Jew lovers.

This thread is about Bush, and I used an extreme example inasmuch as it appears, in particular here on this forum, that folks don't get what is happening, and remain in denial. WWII denial as an example speaks more loudly, and more succinctly than others, thus, I used that example.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:17 PM

I love politics. I love discussing politics, but more and more I realize that this is not the way to argue our POVs. And, hence, more and more I am loath to debate or discuss issues with folks that really would rather be right, even if they are wrong.

But it seems as if many in this country would rather be right even when the world is coming down around them.

One small crack in the wall can topple a structure, and the erosion of our constitution, our liberties and our access to accurate information is creating a quake in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
It would seem many would welcome a modern day Krystalnacht as long as it was wrapped with the flag and in the name of the homeland security as declared by a modern day czar.

I had my fill of executive office impropriety with Clinton's antics of playing politics with the truth. After seven years of obfuscation, secrecy, paranoia extraordinary, and over seen by an invertebrate Congress... I hold my head in my hands in complete disgust.

Not sure what is worse, the idea that we may embrace torture or that we as a people can now rationalize acting like terrorist by justifying it in the name of retribution.

So much for the dream of an enlightened nation of people our forefathers once envisioned.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:57 PM

46 posts, read 93,465 times
I agree that this is not about the merits or faults of torture, but rather the Bush administration (executive branch) believing that it is above the law (judicial branch). I don't understand why either side would want to play the partisan card on this one. It is an example of how little this administartion understands (or dismisses) the basic foundations of how our goverment functions.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:20 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,176,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
The gift that just keeps on giving this holiday season.
Oh please! People in his administration outed a CIA agent! His VP shot a lawyer! They started a war based on phony information!

Bush is the original TEFLON President!! Nothing sticks to him!

(I'm starting to feel like we've been STUCK with him for YEARS!! I hope to God that he doesn't plan to stick around any longer than 8 years!!)

(I just felt like screaming a bit more!)

Last edited by Marka; 01-02-2008 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 12-22-2007, 12:24 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,176,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This administrtion has been operating outside the law for so long that shredding tapes is a minor transgression.
Boy! You can say that again! I wouldn't be surprised if Ken Lay turned up in Argentina in another 20 years courtesy of his old buddy George.

I honestly believe this is the LEAST honest administration we have had in the last 100 years!! They are WORSE than the Nixon administration!!

Old 12-22-2007, 12:25 AM

638 posts, read 2,281,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
It's a lot of crap IMHO. I WANT the terrorist prisoners tortured as much as possible until we get any and all information from them. The crap about them doing the same to our people if captured is ridiculous! They behead innocent people already! They have no qualms at all about torturing and killing. Please don't give me the garbage that "It will bring us down to their level". We don't go capture innocent reporters or civilians and harm them. We're talking about terrorists and I don't care how much they suffer.

If records were destroyed, I really don't care. A lot of hype by the MSM as far as I'm concerned.
Well I guess Nazi Germany would have been no problem for you either.....

Old 12-22-2007, 03:58 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I honestly believe this is the LEAST honest administration we have had in the last 100 years!! They are WORSE than the Nixon administration!!
Heck, the Reagan administration was worse than the Nixon administration. But this one has done both of those better by leagues. It will be an odd footnote in future history books that the two Presidents who most deserved to be impeached were not, while the two who actually were impeached did not deserve it.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:50 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
This issue is not about Jew haters or Jew lovers.

This thread is about Bush, and I used an extreme example inasmuch as it appears, in particular here on this forum, that folks don't get what is happening, and remain in denial. WWII denial as an example speaks more loudly, and more succinctly than others, thus, I used that example.
I hope you can understand that when using an example like Krystalnacht, some people might think that you are implying that the Bush administration was planning to find a segment of the population to scapegoat, terrorize, destroy their homes and livelihoods, and then send them and their children to concentration camps where they would be gassed by the millions, their skin, teeth, and hair harvested, and the world plunged into total war involving the deaths of tens of millions of people.

Unless there is some evidence that such plans are in the works, it might serve us all better to tone down the rhetorical flourishes with which we denigrate the Bush White House.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:55 AM

While you may object to my choice of words, I do believe that our Administration, and/or government at large, is plainly headed in the direction of scapegoating American citizens. And inasmuch as I have no foreknowledge of the extent of that plan, but do have the historical evidence of what appeared innocent in pre-WWII, and developed into a holocaust, I don't feel it is at all extreme to make this comparison.

The very idea that evidence is destroyed, phones taped, and decisions made that place the entire country at risk of extinction, requires those of us willing to speak out rather than hid behind patriotism. I am no Chamberlain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I hope you can understand that when using an example like Krystalnacht, some people might think that you are implying that the Bush administration was planning to find a segment of the population to scapegoat, terrorize, destroy their homes and livelihoods, and then send them and their children to concentration camps where they would be gassed by the millions, their skin, teeth, and hair harvested, and the world plunged into total war involving the deaths of tens of millions of people.

Unless there is some evidence that such plans are in the works, it might serve us all better to tone down the rhetorical flourishes with which we denigrate the Bush White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies