Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:13 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
While you may object to my choice of words, I do believe that our Administration, and/or government at large, is plainly headed in the direction of scapegoating American citizens. And inasmuch as I have no foreknowledge of the extent of that plan, but do have the historical evidence of what appeared innocent in pre-WWII, and developed into a holocaust, I don't feel it is at all extreme to make this comparison.

The very idea that evidence is destroyed, phones taped, and decisions made that place the entire country at risk of extinction, requires those of us willing to speak out rather than hid behind patriotism. I am no Chamberlain!
I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of the threat posed by the Bush administration, particularly in the area of isolating and threatening the lives of millions of American citizens. I am not hiding behind anything when I express skepticism in the absence of evidence. And I am no Schmundt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,880,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Well I guess Nazi Germany would have been no problem for you either.....
Again, there are TERRORISTS you moron!!! I'm not talking about innocents!! Geeze what dopes!

Old 12-22-2007, 07:18 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,127,849 times
Then we will have to respectfully disagree, and only time, and when my grand-children can read history will it be known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of the threat posed by the Bush administration, particularly in the area of isolating and threatening the lives of millions of American citizens. I am not hiding behind anything when I express skepticism in the absence of evidence. And I am no Schmundt!

Old 12-22-2007, 07:32 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Unless there is some evidence that such plans are in the works, it might serve us all better to tone down the rhetorical flourishes with which we denigrate the Bush White House.
A bit touchy, aren't we? The example was posed as a yet-to-be-reached extreme, not as an actuality. One would hope that Krystalnacht would not in its specifics be an exemplar of the extremes to which the current US administration is capable of going, but mentioning it does serve to remind that passive toleration and blind assumptions that all must somehow be for the best can prove quite costly when dealing with a group of leaders who have seized broad powers and consider themselves to be above the law.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
A bit touchy, aren't we? The example was posed as a yet-to-be-reached extreme, not as an actuality. One would hope that Krystalnacht would not in its specifics be an exemplar of the extremes to which the current US administration is capable of going, but mentioning it does serve to remind that passive toleration and blind assumptions that all must somehow be for the best can prove quite costly when dealing with a group of leaders who have seized broad powers and consider themselves to be above the law.
In other words, you've got nothing but a coffee cup going for you here.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:49 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
In other words, you've got nothing but a coffee cup going for you here.
Clear, concise, and to the point, as always. If you're going to go to all the trouble of responding, try actually responding at some point along the way...

Old 12-22-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Clear, concise, and to the point, as always. If you're going to go to all the trouble of responding, try actually responding at some point along the way...
My coffee reference was at least candid, whereas your somewhat questionable dance around the subjunctive possibilities of what is not but might very well at some future point be, notwithstanding the unlikely nature of evidence as presently construed and misconstrued and screwed, blued, and tattooed, was most assuredly highly likely not....

Old 12-22-2007, 08:10 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
Fine, you are angry at terrorists and want revenge...I get it; but when it gets out of hand and this country becomes a police state and people are being "interrogated" for smaller offenses like talking bad about the government, may you and all of the others condoning this behavior be one of the first accused so the rest of us stable minded individuals can say I told you so.

Merry Christmas!
Fine, and may the liberal pc types refrain from shunning of those who state an honest different opinion from theirs and screaming at the top of their lungs how they are leading to a "police state".

Old 12-22-2007, 08:53 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Oh please! People in his administration outed a CIA agent! His VP shot a lawyer! They started a war based on phony information!

Bush is the original TEFLON President!! Nothing sticks to him!

(I'm starting to feel like we've been STUCK with him for YEARS!! I hope to God that he doesn't plan to stick around any longer than 8 years!!)

(I just felt like screaming a bit more!)
Well I have been told it is rather amazing that at my age I still am able to maintain some optimistic idealism, but I am also well aware that an expectation is a premeditated disappointment.

However, the George W Bush Presidency has been a lesson in the health of the state. It is so by the amount of BS that Congress and the people are willing to put up with from this administration. In a time when courage in government is most sorely needed, there has been little. At this point, I, like many folks can only wait out the final days and hope that some other tragedy does not befall us and we end up stuck with the shrub for many more years to come.

This latest scandal will no doubt be added to the already 60 ft long list of Bush scandals and may serve some future generation as an object lesson we were too afraid to address.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,127,849 times
I don't believe it is an exaggeration to call the Administration to task.

On a personal level, I have been abused by the Patriot Act, and found my Senator had never read the Act before its signing. She had to intervene to help me establish I was not a terrorist when I attempted to open a bank account in a City where I have secondary resident status.

It is not unfounded to presume and assume that the intrusion, to say it lightly, rather than harshly, of having my emails, voicemail and telephone tapped by the government is to be dismissed because I belong to Veterans for Peace, and probably other organisations under surveillance from the Administrative branch.

As I am not a terrorist, and I am not a threat because of my membership in activist organisations with no history of violence, I consider these alone to be reason to suspect far more intolerance exists, and that these are telling for their implications.

Last edited by ontheroad; 12-22-2007 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies