Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:05 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
I think it may very well be airborne....they say it isnt and its easily explained that the protocol was breeched and the infected touched bodily fluids....

I think the medical staff knows not to touch fluids and did not touch bodily fluids, but the WHO and the CDC still insist its only bodily fluids....

Airborne is my guess too.
I don't think it's airborne, but I do think the multiple layers of clothing needing to be removed is just begging for trouble. I realize it's hot in a real level 4 hazmat suit, but couldn't they have some kind of cooling system in there with the ventilation system? Better to remove one layer of suit and duct tape than to remove four pairs of gloves, a hair piece, a face mask, two or three aprons, etc. It's no wonder there are breaches when removing the stuff.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If it were airborne we'd be looking at a lot more than 1 case, and there's no way Lagos would have been able to contain and stop the spread of Ebola as quickly and effectively as they did.
Lagos contained it by stopping more cases from arriving in their country, something our own government says is impossible even though we're thousands of miles away and Nigeria is right next door.

Last edited by katygirl68; 10-13-2014 at 09:33 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It appears you have not read any of the Ebola threads. The health care workers in Africa are battling the disease with inadequate facilities and supplies. It is very easy to contaminate yourself when removing the protective gear. For some, there is no gear. For others, gear is a gown, goggles, mask, rubber boots, and Playtex Living Gloves. They can get contaminated while removing the gear --- even better gear such as would be available in the US.

This nursing student made do with plastic bags and a raincoat while nursing four family members, three of whom survived.

Ebola: Woman saves three relatives from death - CNN.com

No. Spread by an aerosol, yes. Airborne, no.

VDU's blog: It's what falls out of the aerosol that matters....

Medical staff know not to touch bodily fluids on purpose. The contact is accidental, and experience from Africa tells us it's easy to do.

If you have children or are single with a very low income you can.

Preview of 2014 EITC Income Limits, Maximum Credit Amounts and Tax Law Updates
Suzy, what difference does it make if it's airborne or spread by aerosol? It's a very similar thing. If I'm sitting in a room with a person infected with Ebola and he sneezes and it aerosolizes Ebola and tiny particulates then get in my eyes, nose, or mouth, or on a surface that I touch and then touch my eyes, nose or mouth, does it matter whether it was "airborne" or "aerosol"? From my understanding, cold and flu virus are also basically spread by aerosol. I've even read how they believe cold weather really does matter in transmission of cold or flu because the particulates blown out by a sneeze or whatever float higher in a dry, cold environment, while hot, humid air pushes the virus down. Who knows if that study was right, but it was an attempt to explain how colds and flus seem to spread more easily in the winter months.

Last edited by katygirl68; 10-13-2014 at 09:34 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Once the danger was realized, travelers from the affected areas should have been banned forthwith. But no, in the name of politican correctness and globalism, borders remain wide open to this day with only laughably ineffective measures hitherto effected to prevent more Ebola carriers from entering our country. Tom Frieden should be arrested and prosecuted for being a total sell-out to the powerful globalist open borders lobby and for putting these special interests ahead of his duties. This failed president should be summarily impeached and removed from office. If we had anything resembling a real democracy, this should be the final nail in the coffin for globalism, but my prediction is it will not be.
^^^^I agree. Tom Frieden and the guy at the NIH have both been horrible. The absolute worst people are in charge right now, and I even blame them more than our president. It would be nice though if the "smartest president we've ever had" could at least think critically and stop travel against these two d-bags' advice.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Of course they are. Thy tried to check out the the Ebola Rule Book from the library but someone else beat them to it.

There are reasons why no country outside of Africa has banned travel from the 3 infected countries.
It would be swell to hear the rational. I would be very surprised if the rational had diddly to do with the CDC.
We live in a global society now, but at least Russia has taken the precaution of quarantining people traveling from these countries. And I haven't heard diddly about China, but I suspect they're quarantining too. The rest of the nations will follow our lead, and we're not leading. If only we said we should ban travel to all but essential personnel to these nations, and those should be quarantined, then all the rest of the countries would follow suit.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:29 PM

Yes, other diseases have or will kill far more people than the meager 4,000 + known Ebola victims (so far), but that doesn't mean we shouldn't worry about a highly contagious disease that in the early stages could be stopped with good governance. Here's the president's chance to show the country what big government is capable of, and he's blowing it yet again.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Let's see, highly contagious disease showing exponential growth potential with a 50% mortality rate. Nope, nothing to worry about! Lets worry about obesity or tobacco instead!
It's amazing isn't it? Whenever NRA types point out how many children are killed in automobile accidents or unattended swimming pools, they come back with response that we can worry about more than one thing at a time, but now they're doing the same thing. Apples and oranges people!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:34 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Suzy, what difference does it make if it's airborne or spread by aerosol? It's a very similar thing. If I'm sitting in a room with a person infected with Ebola and he sneezes and it aerosolizes Ebola and tiny particulates then get in my eyes, nose, or mouth, or on a surface that I touch and then touch my eyes, nose or mouth, does it matter whether it was "airborne" or "aerosol"? From my understanding, cold and flu virus are also basically spread by aerosol. I've even read how they believe cold weather really does matter in transmission of cold or flu because the particulates blown out by a sneeze or whatever float higher in a dry, cold environment, while a hot, humid air pushes the virus down. Who knows if that study was right, but it was an attempt to explain how colds and flus seem to spread more easily in the winter months.
The distinction is important because it confirms that you catch Ebola by being physically close to someone who has it and coming in contact with body fluids, not just by breathing the same air.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The distinction is important because it confirms that you catch Ebola by being physically close to someone who has it and coming in contact with body fluids, not just by breathing the same air.
I thought the only different might be that if it's really airborne I could catch measles being in the next room to a measles ward and sharing the same air system. So I couldn't catch Ebola being next door, but if I was in the same room and that person sneezed all over surfaces (assuming it's even transferrable at that early stage), then it really doesn't matter if it's airborne or aerosol since I still could get it in particulates floating through the air or by touching surfaces (including my own self) and then touching my eyes, nose, or mouth.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:45 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Default Questions remain about how Dallas nurse got Ebola

Based on this article, do you guys believe that we are going to have Ebola epidemic here in the United States?

Please DO watch the video and READ the article.

I honestly believe Government (CDC) should do a better job in term of protecting those who work in the medical field. (The emergency room doctors and nurses, etc)

I don't mean to pretend to be a Military expert, I am not. But I am under the impression that the military special force guys are protected by five level of MOPP gear if they have to go to a dangerous zone. Do you think medical doctors and nurses should be receiving the exact same protection?

Your thoughts please

Here is the article and video

Questions remain on how Dallas nurse got Ebola - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies