Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 07:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What?

ETA - you do understand the concept of overhead, don't you? I thought you were a business owner.
I am a business owner.......and I know it is MY investment at risk.

So....I make the rules.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:48 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,808 times
All this tax talk is really a red herring.

The issue is that a business refused service based on the sexual orientation of the potential customer.

This would be illegal in Vermont where discrimination based on sexual orientation is forbidden - but it is still not a "protected class" in Pennsylvania.

Hopefully - that will change - and soon.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:52 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I'm sure they did, right after they voiced their displeasure with the shops policy. The first amendment grants them the right to freedom of speech, they used it.

Don't like it? Try to get an amendment passed to get rid of the first amendment.
Are you not rejoicing that you accomplished your goal of shutting down somebody who does not nor ever will agree with you? You all must be ecstatic. Keep in mind that the court of public opinion is squarely on the side of the shop keepers. Just some food for thought that the next little darlings should remember next time they set out to destroy someone's livelihood which I am sure they are just itching to do.

I like the First Amendment it shall remain as is especially the part about religion and the right to practice. The religion part is what bothers you though. Tough, deal with it.

AMENDMENT I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Old 08-14-2014, 07:53 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am a business owner.......and I know it is MY investment at risk.

So....I make the rules.
No you don't.

I am ALSO a business owner, my retail stores are located in a shopping mall. My employees and I are not allowed to chew gum, eat, drink, during business hour. We also must obey other rules. We also have state and federal law to follow.

The bridal shop owner didn't break the law. However, the owner had to suffer from the consequences of their own action. They only have themselves to blame.

We are having a 100% free market economy. Obviously, the heterosexual folks have spoken as well. we don't want to do business with you. That is why they lost customers and businesses.

Blaming the gay agenda is ridiculous.

Have you seen SUPER religious folks or the TRUE Christians (for lack of better description) go to the store and buy dresses from them in order to support them? IF they have overwhelming majority of the PA folks as supporters, they won't lose their business. They don't, and there you have it.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No you don't.

I am ALSO a business owner, my retail stores are located in a shopping mall. My employees and I are not allowed to chew gum, eat, drink, during business hour. We also must obey other rules. We also have state and federal law to follow.

The bridal shop owner didn't break the law. However, the owner had to suffer from the consequences of losing business. They only have themselves to blame.

We are having a 100% free market economy. Obviously, the heterosexual folks have spoken as well. we don't want to do business with you. That is why they lost customers and businesses.

Blaming the gay agenda is ridiculous.
Yes.....I do make the rules.....try me.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
They are buying a dress, that is all they are doing in the store, just like every other person shopping in the store.
Nope. Every other normal person who visits the store, unlike you people, doesn't throw a hissy fit and go on public media and shut down the store when they don't have what they want. Perhaps it is time for the general public to start encroaching on the homosexual establishments where you all congregate such as lesbian bars and other assorted hangouts. You people have set an example for complaining that the general public will emulate .Watch the complaints fly when somebody's drink didn't arrive as fast or in the same condition as the regulars. Or perhaps the bouncer needlessly hassled the straight individual when she didn't a regular. There are many many ways this is going to fall back on you. Just keep pushing.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Are you not rejoicing that you accomplished your goal of shutting down somebody who does not nor ever will agree with you? You all must be ecstatic. Keep in mind that the court of public opinion is squarely on the side of the shop keepers. Just some food for thought that the next little darlings should remember next time they set out to destroy someone's livelihood which I am sure they are just itching to do.

I like the First Amendment it shall remain as is especially the part about religion and the right to practice. The religion part is what bothers you though. Tough, deal with it.

AMENDMENT I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Wrong, if some people voicing their opinion on the shops actions put them out of business they were going there already. You seem to be one of those that feels they have the right to say or do anything based on religious beliefs but do not feel others have the right to voice their opinions. Sorry it does not work that way so put on your big boy pants and take some responsibility for your words and actions.

Since when does a business have religion, it is a clothing store, not a person? Oh wait, the SC thinks otherwise, me thinks the SC is very confused. One of these days their ruling will be overturned by a SC that has some common sense, and there will eventually be laws that prohibit a business for discriminating against anyone except in the cases of health risks or safety concerns, don't want to follow the laws governing operation of a business, find another means of making a living. You might want to wrap you brain around that now so when it happens you will not put on another hissy fit.

So, for now, a business can discriminate based on someone's sexual orientation since it is not covered under the law, yet. Be that as it may, don't forget you are not the only ones that have the right to express their opinion, might want to keep that in mind in the future.

Last edited by Casper in Dallas; 08-14-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-14-2014, 08:04 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes.....I do make the rules.....try me.
well, as long as you are okay with the consequences, I say go for it and good for you.

I don't make the rule because I know I have to coexist with other folks no matter how much I dislike them.

The world doesn't owe me anything, and i am not better than anybody else.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Nope. Every other normal person who visits the store, unlike you people, doesn't throw a hissy fit and go on public media and shut down the store when they don't have what they want. Perhaps it is time for the general public to start encroaching on the homosexual establishments where you all congregate such as lesbian bars and other assorted hangouts. You people have set an example for complaining that the general public will emulate .Watch the complaints fly when somebody's drink didn't arrive as fast or in the same condition as the regulars. Or perhaps the bouncer needlessly hassled the straight individual when she didn't a regular. There are many many ways this is going to fall back on you. Just keep pushing.
Seems as if it is YOU throwing the hissy fit here

America will keep pushing until all American Citizens enjoy the same rights, get used to it or keep whining, your choice

Old 08-14-2014, 08:06 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
However, if I walked into a bridal shop and was refused service because they owners were Christian and they did not want to marry a Jew (I'm almost always wearing some Jewish symbol), then it doesn't matter if there are 50 bridal shops in town - I'm going to make sure others know about it so fellow Jews, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, presumably LBGT, and good people everywhere can avoid the shop
Quote:
THIS is exactly the point.
No. There is a right way and a wrong way of broadcasting this information. And the wrong way is what the lesbians did. They used social media like high school bullies in a very negative, mean and judgmental fashion, rather than spreading the word in matter of fact non-judgmental way.

Just read an article in the Boston Globe paper yesterday about Gordon College's stance on gays. No one is picketing their school in an angry fashion. And gays still attend their college, but in a closeted fashion. And that is Massachusetts for you. We can co-exist peacefully with our differing viewpoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies