Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 05:58 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
a private business that does not get any kind of taxpayer money at all to support their business should be allowed to discriminate against whomever they want to for any reason at all.
Really??????????????????????????????????????

What roads do these people have in front of "their" business - private roads?

Old 08-14-2014, 06:22 AM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
And yet the halal meat store still discriminates against me by not selling me pork!
They won't sell me Egg Foo Young either.

The bride to be didn't go into the store to buy a fishing pole.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Really??????????????????????????????????????

What roads do these people have in front of "their" business - private roads?
I would guess it is the road their taxes help pay for.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would guess it is the road their taxes help pay for.
And the BRIDAL SHOPPER'S taxes.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,338 times
Quote:
Thinking that by 2014 basic human kindness and decency towards people who may be "different" than ourselves didn't need legislation?

There WILL be words added amending the anti-discrimination legislation to include sexual orientation as more and more people stand up and speak up.

Just a matter of time - and less time than you people who disagree think.

Get used to it.
First of all, I favor including sexual orientation in anti-discrimination laws.

The point is, Congress and most states have been rejecting those bills for years. So, it's not that there's some rosy-eyed thinking that 'kindness and decency' have prevailed in 2014.

SSM advanced more because of the courts than popular vote. Unlike ssm, I don't think the courts can force states to adopt laws banning public accommodation discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
And yet the halal meat store still discriminates against me by not selling me pork!
I think you know not what discrimination means.

They would be discriminating against you if they saw a religious symbol around your neck and refused to serve you because you were not Muslim. They would NOT discriminate against you if they did not serve you products they did not carry. Do most restaurants discriminate against me because they do not serve Kosher food?

However, if I walked into a bridal shop and was refused service because they owners were Christian and they did not want to marry a Jew (I'm almost always wearing some Jewish symbol), then it doesn't matter if there are 50 bridal shops in town - I'm going to make sure others know about it so fellow Jews, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, presumably LBGT, and good people everywhere can avoid the shop. If it brings down their business, not my problem any more than it would be my problem if I complained about rats or price gauging.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Sure, the shoppers pay too.

But, IMO the average shopper would not pay the same commercial land tax a business would.

Depending on where it is some road tax comes from the property tax.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:57 AM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:

But, IMO the average shopper would not pay the same commercial land tax a business would.

The store probably rents, and they aren't the kind of business to enter into a triple net lease, so this whole thing is likely moot.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 AM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
And MY taxes too. So what? And those bridal shoppers can also use those same public roads to go the other bridal shop in town...

Old 08-14-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:

All that is jibber jabber - the point was a PRIVATE BUSINESS isn't an island with a potentate who decides who CAN and CANNOT be served.

THIS:
Quote:
I think you know not what discrimination means.

They would be discriminating against you if they saw a religious symbol around your neck and refused to serve you because you were not Muslim. They would NOT discriminate against you if they did not serve you products they did not carry. Do most restaurants discriminate against me because they do not serve Kosher food?

However, if I walked into a bridal shop and was refused service because they owners were Christian and they did not want to marry a Jew (I'm almost always wearing some Jewish symbol), then it doesn't matter if there are 50 bridal shops in town - I'm going to make sure others know about it so fellow Jews, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, presumably LBGT, and good people everywhere can avoid the shop
THIS is exactly the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies