Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How about a small rainbow sticker in their front window? And a big rainbow flag if they are enthused about supported gay civil unions?
In PA same sex MARRIAGE is legal. What's with this gay civil union thing?

Do you frequent stores owned buy Christians though you're an atheist? Do you even ask? You go against many Christian's values. Why don't you give store owners the option to refuse service to you? They could well find your values abhorrent. Kinda rude of you to expect them to support you by selling you a cheese burger when they find you repulsive.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Don't be surprised with the backlash in all forms tangible, intangible, real and imaginary incurred by supporters, sympathizers, and defenders of the store.

If others wish to support the store by buying more of their products there that is also their right. You seem to believe that when a person states that it is the right of the customers that disagree with the stores policy to voice their opinion that people infer that those that agree with the policy cannot voice theirs in the same way. That would be a wrong assumption, if one side of an issue has the right to voice their opinion so does the other, that is what is great about this Nation, everyone has their right to voice their own opinion.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
She doesn't HAVE to go elsewhere - the shop HAS to allow her to SHOP there.

Every reply you post tries to use a different angle to justify discrimination - religion - private business "rights" - happy memories - bullying............

Not buying any of that - you are discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation - and that is the bottom line.
Problem is there is no law that I know of that prohibits a business from discriminating based on sexual orientation. Now if there was one you would be correct, but until then it is what it is.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 AM

969 posts, read 2,853,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Problem is there is no law that I know of that prohibits a business from discriminating based on sexual orientation. Now if there was one you would be correct, but until then it is what it is.
I will look into that and get back to you - if there isn't - there should be.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I will look into that and get back to you - if there isn't - there should be.
That would be a course of action that could be taken, but until there is one, the store, wrong or right, has the right to refuse to serve anyone not protected under the law. Is what it is.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
That would be a course of action that could be taken, but until there is one, the store, wrong or right, has the right to refuse to serve anyone not protected under the law. Is what it is.
Looks like it is on a state by state basis right now. Will look further.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 AM

Bloomsburg May Consider Same-Sex Discrimination Ban | WNEP.com

Under consideration.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 AM

195 posts, read 154,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Integrity my arse. They weren't offered 10 mil to enter into a same sex marriage. If they'd turned that offer down their integrity would be intact.

Jesus was accepting of all people, sinners or not. They are not the guardian of everyone else's life. It's the extreme arrogance that goes with judging other people's (perfectly legal in PA) decisions as if you have the right to do so just because you sell something that will be worn by people who aren't like you, that get my goat.

No one's asking them to participate in any homosexual act. Integrity (selective) is not an excuse when you are not being asked to do anything that personally that goes against your principles. If you don't believe in gay marriage then don't have a gay wedding.

It would appear that what they're doing is not cool with their own religion, for that matter. Cherry picking does not integrity make.

Integrity: Some have it and some don't.
Your principals may be bought off, but there are those out there that greed and money do not sway their beliefs so easily.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by JobZombie

She shut the business down over a dress when
she could have easily gone elsewhere.
....and the shop owner could have easily just made the damned dress.
It's not like she was asked to give the bride away.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As someone who has spent most of their lives in MA... the Boston metro area, just like NYC and San Francisco, has always been accepting of gays and lesbians. But at the same time, the gay lifestyle has never been thrown in front of everyone's faces. Openly gay behaviour was limited to gay bars and clubs, certain neighbors like the South End and extremely concentrated in the summertime in Provincetown on the Cape.

Anyway, my point is that Boston didn't have a bunch of overly sensitive gays running around throwing hissy fits when they felt slighted. And by being low key and going with the flow, non-gays and even those who weren't thrilled by the presence of the gay lifestyle, just shrugged their shoulders and looked the other way and went about their own business. They are churches with rainbow flags out front and the gays know that they are welcome there. And if anyone is offended by their lifestyle, they find another church to go to. For decades, one of my Boston gay friends would point out to me the rainbow marker indications in the bars of businesses who were gay friendly. Some of it was joking around, but at the same time, he would never dream of going into a strange bar that appeared super straight to him. He prefers to be among other gays.

So again I say that given that this PA town had two bridal shops, it should have been no big deal for the lesbian couple to visit the other shop to buy a wedding dress at. I think that a single owner mom and pop shop (not a chain) should be allowed to promote or sell their goods to any specialty group they want to. This bridal shop obviously only wants old fashioned traditionally minded customers. Let that old lady owner do her thing in peace. And in a positive way, that lesbian couple should have instead just bought their dress at the other shop and promoted their dresses instead (but not knocking the other shop). And if they wanted to post on FB that the other shop was the best bridal shop in town, then I would support that. But don't badmouth the other shop and rally their gang to bring on the hate.

Now instead of a lesbian wedding full of love, it's tainted by all the hate that they've generated against this poor bridal shop owner that didn't approve of their lifestyle.

And why broadcast this bridal shop owner's views on the gay lifestyle? Gay civil unions have been voted in, however nowhere have the votes reflected universal acceptance. No vote has been a sweeping 90% approval. Most has been court decisions based on technicalities of the law and the Constitution. And isn't what goes on in the voting booth supposed to be completely private and anonymous? Just so this sort of bullying can't occur.

But now gays are public bullies for their cause when instead they should by their day to day actions be winning over more of the public by being openly gay, well-mannered and good citizens while doing so. I don't understand the sudden impatience for universal acceptance. Surely they know that there are many straight people who are publicly supporting this bridal shop owner in order to appear politically correct, when deep down inside they disagree. So how is this making real progress for gay acceptance?
In other words, you want them to not make waves and quietly stay in the closet where they belong.
Oh, and let me know when all heterosexuals are well-mannered, good citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies