Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 08:42 AM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
In other words people with values ,are of no value in this society. I get it.
Their values are their values. No one's asking them to be gay. You stick to yours, you don't get to dictate others.

Businesses don't vet their customers for values. They'd go out of business. The public is the public and of course you aren't going to agree with everyone. Why people pick this one topic as a hill to die on is beyond me. It's not like that value violation is any superior to all the other value violations they choose to ignore on a daily basis.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:42 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Don't be surprised with the backlash in all forms tangible, intangible, real and imaginary incurred by supporters, sympathizers, and defenders of the store.

This is why we have social media and public opinions. This is why we have bridal shop supporter, YOU, and gay lesbian equal right supporter, ME.

I hope the "backlash" is not some kind of threat because like it or not, admit it or not, embracing diversity is the key to a peaceful civilized world.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 AM

939 posts, read 3,385,469 times
Quote:
Don't be surprised with the backlash in all forms tangible, intangible, real and imaginary incurred by supporters, sympathizers, and defenders of the store.

Don't be surprised when business owners whine that no one wants to shop at their store due to their homophobic policies.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
100% agree with this. However, the public also has the right to voice their disapproval and shop somewhere else.
I completely agree. Personally, I wouldn't shop at a store that banned black people, gay people or physically disabled people (who all acted with general civility - just like everyone else).

However, I can't say that I'm completely fair in such a regard. Although I would never attend a church that banned gay people from attending, I'm guessing the church I attend would not marry gay people. Personally, I'm fine with gay marriage. If my church were performing gay weddings, that wouldn't bother me; however, I won't stop attending my church due to no gay weddings. Now, if there were two churches that were practically the same and one allowed gay weddings, I would probably go to that one.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,428 times
Quote:
She shut the business down over a dress when she could have easily gone elsewhere.
I can't believe you typed that. "She" did NOT shut the business down because she does not possess that kind of authority! ARE...YOU...KIDDING...ME?

Have you ever personally complained about service you have received from a business? If so, then you did what these "homosexuals" did. You complained. They complained too. It turns out that their complaints resonated with a lot of people. The town did NOT shut this business down from a legal standpoint. If the "poor" business owner no longer gets business because of a decision she made, THAT'S HER PROBLEM THAT SHE HAS TO LIVE WITH. Also, if the masses didn't care that lesbians weren't served, her business would be unphased. Once again, you seem to be miffed that the majority SIDE WITH THE LESBIANS!

There is no other way to put this. A complaint was made which thousands of other people agreed with. The business suffers.

Had she donated money to needy families, maybe she'd be getting the exact opposite press. Maybe her business would have flourished. THE BUSINESS OWNER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR A DECISION THAT EITHER HURTS OR HELPS BUSINESS.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,643,800 times
Quote:
Why do you not just go to a store that will leave you with happy memories? Are you really that masochistic? Try striving for positive energy.
I'm sure the couple will have happy memories, but at the same time they are doing a service to the public by warning everyone bridal shop owner, Victoria Miller will turn away lesbians. That is blatant discrimination.

Looks like WW Bridal Shop is now vetting potential customers, as her store is open only by appointment. I wonder what kinds of personal questions she asks?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
again for about the 4th time...just how is one to know ahead of time which store will serve them?
How about a small rainbow sticker in their front window? And a big rainbow flag if they are enthused about supported gay civil unions?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
She doesn't HAVE to go elsewhere - the shop HAS to allow her to SHOP there.

Every reply you post tries to use a different angle to justify discrimination - religion - private business "rights" - happy memories - bullying............

Not buying any of that - you are discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation - and that is the bottom line.

That is not necessarily true. Now, I consider a business to be the extension of one's property. Having said that, it doesn't mean that I myself would do something like that, because I wouldn't want to do anything to sacrifice losing profit to my business. So, in short, were I said bridal shop owner, I would have no issue serving a lesbian. Those who say I'm not a true Christian for doing so, well... you know where you can stick that rubbish!!! I'm not that shallow of a person, and am secure with my relationship with God, as well as with my sexuality. On the other hand, if said lesbian came into my place with a chip on her shoulder, or an agenda DEMANDING that I serve her, and being a real b*** about everything (and let's face it in a sue happy society that we've become this does happen where someone is looking for an excuse for an easy payday), I'd tell her to get the hell out of my shop! That goes for anyone that would come into my business and cause a distraction. So in short, if you walk into my shop, leave your agenda at the door. I'll promise you a wonderful shopping experience, and we'll get along just fine.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:00 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
She shut the business down over a dress when she could have easily gone elsewhere.
Please quote the whole post instead of just one sentence. I see you are not interested in answering question.
Remember, every action, there is a reaction.

One of your "friend" here says that we have a free market economy which I 100% agree. NOBODY can ruin YOUR business or SHUT DOWN your business unless

1. you did something illegal

2. people think you suck, they don't want to give their businesses to you

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again,

Stop playing the victim card, it is getting old

"Same-sex marriage in Pennsylvania became legal on May 20, 2014, when a U.S. federal district court judge ruled that the Commonwealth's 1996 statutory ban on recognizing same-sex marriage was unconstitutionall"

Same-sex marriage in Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The lesbian wanted to get married in a state where gay marriage is LEGAL. She wanted to buy a dress in a bridal shop located in a state where gay marriage is LEGAL. She didn't go to the anti-gay marriage territory.

She obviously was not the one who did the bullying.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:03 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I completely agree. Personally, I wouldn't shop at a store that banned black people, gay people or physically disabled people (who all acted with general civility - just like everyone else).

However, I can't say that I'm completely fair in such a regard. Although I would never attend a church that banned gay people from attending, I'm guessing the church I attend would not marry gay people. Personally, I'm fine with gay marriage. If my church were performing gay weddings, that wouldn't bother me; however, I won't stop attending my church due to no gay weddings. Now, if there were two churches that were practically the same and one allowed gay weddings, I would probably go to that one.

Good point, because who knows how the business owner is going to treat other segments of the population? If he treats a gay person like crap simply for being gay, how is he/she going to treat you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies