Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Everyone's morality compass is different. To Christ, all sin is equal, and if a private shop owner who follows Christ doesn't want to be a party to the celebration of sin, that's their right.
The vast majority of marriages have participants who have sinned, and are therefore celebrating such at their nuptials.

How about second marriages? Non virgins? Tax cheaters? Why be a party to celebrating any of those deviants? Shouldn't they at least ask if the person has remained pure prior to closing a deal?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
So only non-sinners can shop at this Bridal Store? Which sins will they allow (if any)? How will they Fact-Check and confirm the sins amongst the sinners? Are these only New Testament sins?

Ridiculous.
The bridal shop owner is not following the part of the bible that states, "All sins are created equal." If you believe in sin, you would know everybody sins. She wants to pick and chose certain sins to rail against. She sure showed them, now her company website is offline, and her Facebook page has a "permanently closed" status.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:55 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Everyone's morality compass is different. To Christ, all sin is equal, and if a private shop owner who follows Christ doesn't want to be a party to the celebration of sin, that's their right.
That is all well and fine, but when you enter the public fray, and open a shop to the public, you take on a certain measure of responsibility to the community at large. Everyone is a sinner, if it takes a local ordinance to say anyone operating a business open to the public, within the city, cannot pick and choose the sinners they will refuse service to.

Freedom of association is fine with regards to how you choose to live your private life, but allowing businesses to pick and choose which unlucky sinners they can Willy-nilly refused service to, will cause public chaos and unrest.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:55 AM

969 posts, read 2,853,400 times
From Wiki - but note most importantly the year was 1967 - only 47 years ago:
Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967),[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]1[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] was a landmark civil rights decision of the United States Supreme Court which invalidated laws prohibiting interracial marriage.
The case was brought by Mildred Loving, a black woman, and Richard Loving, a white man, who had been sentenced to a year in prison in Virginia for marrying each other. Their marriage violated the state's anti-miscegenation statute, the Racial Integrity Act of 1924, which prohibited marriage between people classified as "white" and people classified as "colored". The Supreme Court's unanimous decision held this prohibition was unconstitutional, overturning Pace v. Alabama (1883) and ending all race-based legal restrictions on marriage in the United States.
The decision was followed by an increase in interracial marriages in the U.S., and is remembered annually on Loving Day, June 12. It has been the subject of two movies as well as songs. Beginning in 2013, it was cited as precedent in U.S. federal court decisions holding restrictions on same-sex marriage in the United States unconstitutional.

It will not take 47 more years before all this is just as dated. As the chant goes: Their here - their ***** - get used to it.

And let them buy a dress for cripes sake.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:57 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:

there is no such thing as a "private" shop owner if they have a business open to the public. discrimination is against the law. they stood their ground now they take the blow back as another poster put it.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
The bridal shop owner is not following the part of the bible that states, "All sins are created equal." If you believe in sin, you would know everybody sins. She wants to pick and chose certain sins to rail against. She sure showed them, now her company website is offline, and her Facebook page has a "permanently closed" status.
We will not have a stable cohesive society if business owners can declare some person is not right with god, an refuse them service.

Business districts within cities only have just so much property zoned as commercial, to have people taking up shop and refusing customers based on their religious views, or bedroom habits. We head down that path and Baptists may well refuse service to people of other faiths, because they view their religion as sinful and not right with god.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:08 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
seriously trying to equate a gay woman buying a wedding dress to a murderer?
You're trying to equate the hurt feelings over not buying a dress from the desired shop (when there were others within reach) to something significant in life. The same was done over a cake. Yet both were "valid" reasons to destroy a business?

Hurt Feelings vs. Someone's Business? Really?

Could it just maybe be more than hurt feelings? That the real motivator was to attack those who view the world differently and think that maybe, just maybe, the real goal was to eliminate them?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
You're trying to equate the hurt feelings over not buying a dress from the desired shop (when there were others within reach) to something significant in life. The same was done over a cake. Yet both were "valid" reasons to destroy a business?

Hurt Feelings vs. Someone's Business? Really?

Could it just maybe be more than hurt feelings? That the real motivator was to attack those who view the world differently and think that maybe, just maybe, the real goal was to eliminate them?
so when your civil rights are denied by a business open to the public you would just let it slide?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The vast majority of marriages have participants who have sinned, and are therefore celebrating such at their nuptials.

How about second marriages? Non virgins? Tax cheaters? Why be a party to celebrating any of those deviants? Shouldn't they at least ask if the person has remained pure prior to closing a deal?
Because Christians like to forget about that when it's something they've done done and leave everything else a sin. I would like to know when they're finally going to make a revised version of the Bible.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,424 times
If you own a business, you deal with the PUBLIC. In 2014, whether you have a website or not, you're online, somehow, someway. With that said, the shop did not break any laws in denying these two women service. The women took to social media and mentioned what happened just like people do every second of the day. The happening went viral, which somehow, to some people, means that these two women set out to destroy the idiot business owner's "life." OK...

What happened here is simple. This IS the free market. Let's say I go to "Grocery Store" and they're out of peanuts. I'm mad. I post a negative review on Google and mention it on my Facebook and Twitter because I wanted peanuts today! Let's say everyone else following me also REALLY had a strong craving for peanuts today. One thing leads to another and everyone who wanted peanuts today is now in an uproar and retweeting/reposting my comments. I'm so mad that I called the local news. The reporter with whom I spoke with also has a strong interest in peanuts today! Guess who's story is on at 5! It isn't illegal for "Grocery Store" to not carry peanuts, but it isn't a wise move. That leads to this going viral and all of my peanut supporters will guaranteed not shop at "Grocery Store" again.

Sure, my above example would never happen and is "haha" funny, but it gets the point across. The shop owner didn't violate a law, sure. But, she managed to **** off the general public, so she deserves everything that comes to her. If that's financial ruin, so be it. Clearly, the general public sides with these two women. If the general public didn't care about a lesbian couple being denied service then the shop owner would have gotten no attention, maybe even praise, and life would go on.

The exact opposite can happen with positive reviews. Let's say a shop owner does something spectacular. Customer begin to comment and the comments take off making his or her business more popular than ever! Turns out, this shop owner is just stupid and made a BAD choice.

Just because you take a stand on something doesn't mean it's a wise one. Years ago when the tide was still negative on homosexuality, nothing would have happened. In 2014, it did. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies