Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 10:57 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
You're comparing qualities that someone is - a black person, a woman - to something someone does.
Again the right focuses on the anal and oral sex acts that can also be part of a hetro relationship. Gays, just like hetrosexuals can go years without sex, or not be in relationship, or be in a sexless or low sex relationship. How does a 40 year old virgin know of he's gay or not? Older hetro and gay couples get married for love not because they are saving themselves for marriage.

Quote:
Then how can we have any distain for pedophiles?
Children are not consenting adults.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM

13,965 posts, read 5,632,409 times
The free market has a built in "solution" for businesses that discriminate according to any criteria - competition. Remove barriers to competition, and discrimination gets taken care of by the Invisible Hand.

Done.

As far as the specific story for this week - another rent seeking pair of grievance peddlers seeking 15 seconds of fame + a payday. When a nation's laws go orwellian, and that which is not forbidden becomes mandatory/compulsory, this is what you'll get on a routine basis.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:00 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
If a known murderer walks into your store and wants a dress, you call the police - not the tailor.
Then by your call, a 400 lb cross dresser walks in, or a tranny, and asks for a wedding dress, the shop owner should say "Of course I'd be happy to help you?' as she chokes back the rising vomit?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:14 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
When you decide that you are going to invoke your right to deny service to some based on one reason or another it does not protect you from others responding by refusing you their money for your services, as is their right.
Exactly. No laws are needed.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:19 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Then by your call, a 400 lb cross dresser walks in, or a tranny, and asks for a wedding dress, the shop owner should say "Of course I'd be happy to help you?' as she chokes back the rising vomit?
Dude, you're preaching to the wrong choir. My lovely, sweet, good and kind nephew has just come out as a "tranny" and I would expect that he (she now) be treated with the same respect as anyone else.

And as the majority of female adults in America are overweight if not obese, and by default so are business owners, then they have no reason to impugn the former.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:24 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Dude, your preaching to the wrong choir. My lovely, sweet, good and kind nephew has just come out as a "tranny" and I would expect that he (she now) be treated with the same respect as anyone else.
May he get the help he needs. (You're free to start another thread on this if you wish.)

Quote:
And as the majority of female adults in America are overweight if not obese, and by default so are business owners, then they have no reason to impugn the former.
I wasn't talking about fat females, I cited a fat cross dressing man. Do you think the owner of a bridal shop is obligated to give him service with a smile as he steps onto the fitting platform? The same question might apply to your nephew as he steps onto that platform (although why he'd need a woman's wedding dress escapes me...)

Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We will not have a stable cohesive society if business owners can declare some person is not right with god, an refuse them service.

Business districts within cities only have just so much property zoned as commercial, to have people taking up shop and refusing customers based on their religious views, or bedroom habits. We head down that path and Baptists may well refuse service to people of other faiths, because they view their religion as sinful and not right with god.
You make it sound like society will fall apart without anti-discrimination laws for sexual orientation. The feds haven't passed one. Many if not most states don't have them.

These super-hyped cases are Usually about marriage, an institution that many religious people deem special, and most states still don't legalize.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:44 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
May he get the help he needs. (You're free to start another thread on this if you wish.)
Oh, she's just fine, I'm glad she's living the life she's meant to live and I admire her courage, to boot. Now there's someone who stands up for what they truly believe in.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about fat females, I cited a fat cross dressing man. Do you think the owner of a bridal shop is obligated to give him service with a smile as he steps onto the fitting platform? The same question might apply to your nephew as he steps onto that platform (although why he'd need a woman's wedding dress escapes me...)
My niece will do whatever my niece sees fit, it's her life.

If you aren't prepared to serve the public, especially one where you get up close and personal with your patrons, then don't open a business that requires you to do so. Or, refuse service, and live with the consequences. Makes no difference to me. I don't see why you all have to whine on the business' behalf, they're doing what they wanted, and the chips are falling where they may.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:01 PM

594 posts, read 346,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The free market has a built in "solution" for businesses that discriminate according to any criteria - competition. Remove barriers to competition, and discrimination gets taken care of by the Invisible Hand.

Done.

As far as the specific story for this week - another rent seeking pair of grievance peddlers seeking 15 seconds of fame + a payday. When a nation's laws go orwellian, and that which is not forbidden becomes mandatory/compulsory, this is what you'll get on a routine basis.
With gay people only making up 3% of the population, I don't think the invisble hand of commerce will be felt.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:21 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
It depends.

"Do Restaurants Have the Unrestricted Right to Refuse Service?

No. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 explicitly prohibits restaurants from refusing service to patrons on the basis of race, color, religion, or natural origin. In addition, most courts don’t allow restaurants to refuse service to patrons based on extremely arbitrary conditions. For example, a person likely can’t be refused service due to having a lazy eye.

But Aren’t Restaurants Considered Private Property?

Yes, however they are also considered places of public accommodation.....

So Are "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone" Signs in Restaurants Legal?

Yes, however they still do not give a restaurant the power to refuse service on the basis of race, color, religion, or natural origin. These signs also do not preclude a court from finding other arbitrary refusals of service to be discriminatory. Simply put, restaurants that carry a "Right to Refuse Service" sign are subject to the same laws as restaurants without one.

What Conditions Allow a Restaurant to Refuse Service?

There a number of legitimate reasons for a restaurant to refuse service, some of which include:

Restaurants: Right to Refuse Service | LegalMatch Law Library

The same rules apply to retail shops as well

-------------------------------------------------------------

My family owns several retail stores in the shopping mall. If somebody don't like my service and try to convince others not to buy from us because I am being a bigot, I would take responsibility for my action and my action alone. Hey we all have to suffer from the consequences of our own action. Bitching and moaning about "they try to ruin my business. " sounds like drama queen. You don't like people throwing temper tantrum, remember?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-12-2014 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies