Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The New Testament says women should always have their hair covered. I'm sure you're a big believer in that. Do the shop owners cover their hair? Not so much.
The New Testament also says a woman shouldn't adorn herself in braids, pearls and jewels.
How much do you want to bet these righteous, God-approved Christian wedding dresses have seed pearls all over them?
Where does it say that? Can you give me Book, chapter and verse? The only place I know of where the Bible says women should have their heads covered is in the Church, as a matter of respect. There is no requirement for women to have their heads covered at all times.

This is what you get when you have critics of Christianity and the Bible, who have no understanding and do not know what they are reading, telling us "what the Bible says."

You are not qualified to tell anyone what the Bible says, because you are not qualified to interpret it. You do not know what you are reading.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Where does it say that? Can you give me Book, chapter and verse? The only place I know of where the Bible says women should have their heads covered is in the Church, as a matter of respect. There is no requirement for women to have their heads covered at all times.
Also, the Bible says that a woman's long hair is a cover.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:04 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
There is quite a difference between marriage between different races and marriage between two of the same sex. Still, I would not bet my next paycheck on how this court will decide. It can go either way.
Difference? How so? Massachusetts has had same-sex marriage for ten full years now. It has not effected you, as a presumably heterosexual person. You do realize, that people said the same exact things you're saying in the days when interracial marriage was debated. People even used religion to justify their stance againist interracial marriage. It's almost text book how some of you people say your defenses. I'll never understand why you feel that you're entitled to an opinion on how two consenting adults carry out their love lives. We as a people aren't entitled to an opinion on civil rights, hence why the courts generally decide these things. Because, if we were all entitled to an opinion on the personal lives of others, I'm sure there's something in YOUR personal life that myself and others may disagree with. So just be thankful you and your superior complex haven't been targeted by society...yet. But once again, let me reiterate, the tide isn't going in the wrong direction. People like you will be left with hate and disapproval in your heart once same sex marriage is legal across the United States as a whole. I encourage you to waste your money and energy and still adamantly disprove it. After all, the history books needs bad examples of human behavior, just like yourself and those that share your thoughts.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
People even used religion to justify their stance againist interracial marriage. It's almost text book how some of you people say your defenses.
The Word of God is my textbook. But the Bible doesn't forbid interracial marriage. It does forbid homosexual acts.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is what you get when you have critics of Christianity and the Bible, who have no understanding and do not know what they are reading, telling us "what the Bible says."

You are not qualified to tell anyone what the Bible says, because you are not qualified to interpret it. You do not know what you are reading.
Are you suggesting that you ARE qualified to interpret the Bible? The Bible has been translated and interpreted so many different times, how can you be so sure that the way YOU interpret it, is the correct way? People continue to interpret and study the Bible and still disagree on what passages mean, because it's all an interpretation. But regardless, that doesn't matter because the Christian Bible or any religious book for that matter don't get to dictate how a diverse society is governed.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The Word of God is my textbook. But the Bible doesn't forbid interracial marriage. It does forbid homosexual acts.
That's great, congratulations. It is NOT the "text book" of the United States of America and it CANNOT be used to create or determine laws for society. If you would like a country that uses it's religion to make laws, try a country that's a theocracy.

With that said, it's cute that you think the Bible doesn't forbid interracial marriage. The below verses, which are just three of many were frequently used "back in the day" against interracial marriage. The people against interracial marriage INTERPRETED (keyword) these verses and numerous others to argue for their absurd stance...

Genesis 28:1: "And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan."

Leviticus 19:19: "Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind ..."

Deuteronomy 7:2-3: "And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them: Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son

Regardless how YOU interpret the above, someone out there interprets these to support their stance against interracial marriage. This is a prime example of why the Bible lacks standing with making laws because it's all about interpretation...oh, and the fact that no religious book is the "official" book of the United States of America.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:25 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
If it's only for ancient Jews (ageist?), why do so many Christians quote the old laws all the time when they are pointing the finger at someone?

The only reference to homosexuality in the NT is in Romans...and if you read the whole chapter and not the 'carefully chosen' bit, you'll find they aren't really talking about homosexuality at all.
Wrong!

Quote:
But there are some Christians dragging out Sodom and Gomorrah (also nothing to do with homosexuality but rather the lack of courtesy to angels) to prove their points.
Wrong again!

Quote:
Some people treat the Bible like a buffet.
Aren't you treating it like a buffet? You pick and choose what you like, and you like to tell us what you think it says or does not say, but you have no clue what you are reading and your interpretations are usually completely wrong.

Quote:
Oh, and Christ said nothing about abortion or homosexuality or any of the other issues that some Christians get so wrought over. He said love your neighbor, care for the poor, love God.
Yes, he did say to love our neighbor, care for the poor and love God. But, why do you ignore Jesus' many teachings about sin?

Quote:
So who's looking foolish? Esp. since you can't seem to see a joke with a telescope.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Difference? How so? Massachusetts has had same-sex marriage for ten full years now. It has not effected you, as a presumably heterosexual person. You do realize, that people said the same exact things you're saying in the days when interracial marriage was debated. People even used religion to justify their stance againist interracial marriage. It's almost text book how some of you people say your defenses. I'll never understand why you feel that you're entitled to an opinion on how two consenting adults carry out their love lives. We as a people aren't entitled to an opinion on civil rights, hence why the courts generally decide these things. Because, if we were all entitled to an opinion on the personal lives of others, I'm sure there's something in YOUR personal life that myself and others may disagree with. So just be thankful you and your superior complex haven't been targeted by society...yet. But once again, let me reiterate, the tide isn't going in the wrong direction. People like you will be left with hate and disapproval in your heart once same sex marriage is legal across the United States as a whole. I encourage you to waste your money and energy and still adamantly disprove it. After all, the history books needs bad examples of human behavior, just like yourself and those that share your thoughts.
As someone who has spent most of their lives in MA... the Boston metro area, just like NYC and San Francisco, has always been accepting of gays and lesbians. But at the same time, the gay lifestyle has never been thrown in front of everyone's faces. Openly gay behaviour was limited to gay bars and clubs, certain neighbors like the South End and extremely concentrated in the summertime in Provincetown on the Cape.

Anyway, my point is that Boston didn't have a bunch of overly sensitive gays running around throwing hissy fits when they felt slighted. And by being low key and going with the flow, non-gays and even those who weren't thrilled by the presence of the gay lifestyle, just shrugged their shoulders and looked the other way and went about their own business. They are churches with rainbow flags out front and the gays know that they are welcome there. And if anyone is offended by their lifestyle, they find another church to go to. For decades, one of my Boston gay friends would point out to me the rainbow marker indications in the bars of businesses who were gay friendly. Some of it was joking around, but at the same time, he would never dream of going into a strange bar that appeared super straight to him. He prefers to be among other gays.

So again I say that given that this PA town had two bridal shops, it should have been no big deal for the lesbian couple to visit the other shop to buy a wedding dress at. I think that a single owner mom and pop shop (not a chain) should be allowed to promote or sell their goods to any specialty group they want to. This bridal shop obviously only wants old fashioned traditionally minded customers. Let that old lady owner do her thing in peace. And in a positive way, that lesbian couple should have instead just bought their dress at the other shop and promoted their dresses instead (but not knocking the other shop). And if they wanted to post on FB that the other shop was the best bridal shop in town, then I would support that. But don't badmouth the other shop and rally their gang to bring on the hate.

Now instead of a lesbian wedding full of love, it's tainted by all the hate that they've generated against this poor bridal shop owner that didn't approve of their lifestyle.

And why broadcast this bridal shop owner's views on the gay lifestyle? Gay civil unions have been voted in, however nowhere have the votes reflected universal acceptance. No vote has been a sweeping 90% approval. Most has been court decisions based on technicalities of the law and the Constitution. And isn't what goes on in the voting booth supposed to be completely private and anonymous? Just so this sort of bullying can't occur.

But now gays are public bullies for their cause when instead they should by their day to day actions be winning over more of the public by being openly gay, well-mannered and good citizens while doing so. I don't understand the sudden impatience for universal acceptance. Surely they know that there are many straight people who are publicly supporting this bridal shop owner in order to appear politically correct, when deep down inside they disagree. So how is this making real progress for gay acceptance?

Old 08-13-2014, 05:30 AM

939 posts, read 3,386,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As someone who has spent most of their lives in MA... the Boston metro area, just like NYC and San Francisco, has always been accepting of gays and lesbians. But at the same time, the gay lifestyle has never been thrown in front of everyone's faces. Openly gay behaviour was limited to gay bars and clubs, certain neighbors like the South End and extremely concentrated in the summertime in Provincetown on the Cape.

Anyway, my point is that Boston didn't have a bunch of overly sensitive gays running around throwing hissy fits when they felt slighted. And by being low key and going with the flow, non-gays and even those who weren't thrilled by the presence of the gay lifestyle, just shrugged their shoulders and looked the other way and went about their own business. They are churches with rainbow flags out front and the gays know that they are welcome there. And if anyone is offended by their lifestyle, they find another church to go to. For decades, one of my Boston gay friends would point out to me the rainbow marker indications in the bars of businesses who were gay friendly. Some of it was joking around, but at the same time, he would never dream of going into a strange bar that appeared super straight to him. He prefers to be among other gays.

So again I say that given that this PA town had two bridal shops, it should have been no big deal for the lesbian couple to visit the other shop to buy a wedding dress at. I think that a single owner mom and pop shop (not a chain) should be allowed to promote or sell their goods to any specialty group they want to. This bridal shop obviously only wants old fashioned traditionally minded customers. Let that old lady owner do her thing in peace. And in a positive way, that lesbian couple should have instead just bought their dress at the other shop and promoted their dresses instead (but not knocking the other shop). And if they wanted to post on FB that the other shop was the best bridal shop in town, then I would support that. But don't badmouth the other shop and rally their gang to bring on the hate.

Now instead of a lesbian wedding full of love, it's tainted by all the hate that they've generated against this poor bridal shop owner that didn't approve of their lifestyle.

And why broadcast this bridal shop owner's views on the gay lifestyle? Gay civil unions have been voted in, however nowhere have the votes reflected universal acceptance. No vote has been a sweeping 90% approval. Most has been court decisions based on technicalities of the law and the Constitution. And isn't what goes on in the voting booth supposed to be completely private and anonymous? Just so this sort of bullying can't occur.

But now gays are public bullies for their cause when instead they should by their day to day actions be winning over more of the public by being openly gay, well-mannered and good citizens while doing so. I don't understand the sudden impatience for universal acceptance. Surely they know that there are many straight people who are publicly supporting this bridal shop owner in order to appear politically correct, when deep down inside they disagree. So how is this making real progress for gay acceptance?
The same arguments were used in an attempt to quell the civil rights movement. It didn't work then and it won't work now.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 AM

195 posts, read 154,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
The same arguments were used in an attempt to quell the civil rights movement. It didn't work then and it won't work now.

Your principals may be bought off, but there are those out there that greed and money do not sway their beliefs so easily.
Integrity. Some have it and some don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies