Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:17 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Wow. Have you even fired a hunting rifle before in your life? That's like saying there's no difference between a shotgun and AR15 in the amount of recoil produced be each, which would be an equally stupid thing to say. Talk about foolish.
Actually, he is right. There will be absolutely no difference in recoil between a hunting rifle that shoots the .223 cartridge, and an AR15 that utilizes the same cartridge.

There are even AR15 shotguns.....

Your trying to make it seem as though other people don't know what they're talking about, and making yourself look foolish in the process. My advice would be to stop while you're behind cisco kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 02:20 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
The ignorance on this thread is amazing!
I agree..... you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
Here's an AR15 in semi-automatic rapid fire mode. The rate of fire so high it
could almost be mistaken for an automatic, but the guy is simply cycling the
trigger as fast as he can, and there's barely any recoil. Do you know
of any hunting rifle with the ability to fire this rapidly?
Yep, sure do. Here ya go:

Ruger Mini 14

Again, just stop while you're behind.....

Old 08-21-2014, 02:24 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:

Here's an AR15 in semi-automatic rapid fire mode. The rate of fire so high it could almost be mistaken for an automatic, but the guy is simply cycling the trigger as fast as he can, and there's barely any recoil. Do you know of any hunting rifle with the ability to fire this rapidly?

AR15 semi-automatic rapid fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxeCukiFNBM
Ummm, every 10/22 semi-auto on the planet and have been doing it for more years than I can remember, several auto shotguns can, and any AR10 can, oh wait they are also AR's. Hate to tell you but AR's are used for hunting all the time, the AR15 platform in .223/5.56 is a great varmint gun for coyotes on down, the 6.8 and blackout .300 variants make excellent deer rifles, the 7.62 x 39 used in some AR's such as the Ruger Tactical Ranch rifle make very good brush country deer rifles (about the same as a good 30/30) and the AR10's along with the Springfield M1A in 7.62 NATO/.308 are excellent for deer and hogs, taken both myself using both mine. You keep talking about AR's as if they are not hunting rifles but everyone of them have good applications in hunting and are used on a regular basis by many hunters these days. The one big advantage they have over the typical hunting rifles of the past is when the terrain gets rough and you do not want to put that beautiful Henry Lever Action with a nice brass receiver or other finely crafted rifle through the mud and rocks, where as an AR stands up to the beating and is none the worse for wear. Not to mention the modularity of AR's attaching and detaching accessories on an AR are quick and easy meaning going from open iron sights to a scope can be a matter of seconds and customizing it to personal fit is quick and easy. So stop acting as if they are not hunting rifles, they are, plain and simple.
And if it crime you are worried about then go after handguns, good luck with that, that is the tool of choice for criminals.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:28 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I understand your point and agree.

MY post was to call out kid because he doesn't seem to know much about guns yet, continues to spout out nonsense.
But if he listens and does not take it personal he will get educated, then when the times comes to go out and get his own he will know what is best for his own personal needs and maybe a few pointers to fine tune it along the way

Never found anyone that has spent any time operating an AR for the first that did not come away with a big grin and the Big Time Wants.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:29 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Nice try, and I can see how the uninformed person would make this mistake, but that is still a semi-automatic rifle. The slide fire stock in the video is a device that merely assists in pulling the trigger faster. However, the trigger still needs to be pulled for every single shot that is fired.

Again, converting a semi-automatic into a full auto weapon is against federal law.

Nice spin. But semi-auto is when you are pulling the trigger manually for each round. If you are using a device to pull the trigger for you, that is an automatic weapon, period. End result is the same -- rate of fire of the slide fire weapon is as high or higher as a conventional automatic.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:46 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Wow. Have you even fired a hunting rifle before in your life? That's like saying there's no difference between a shotgun and AR15 in the amount of recoil produced be each, which would be an equally stupid thing to say. Talk about foolish.
If you have read many of my posts on this forum you would know that I'm a firearms safety instructor and I hold CCW classes. I'm also a handgun competitor in IDPA and USPSA. I own more firearms than the average person and I have several hunting rifles as well as an AR-15. I'm telling you that my .223 hunting rifle and my .223/.556 AR have the same felt recoil.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
These are supposed to be police not the military. Why do police need to patrol the streets with automatic rifles? Are we under military occupation?
The AR-15 is a CIVILIAN weapon, not military, and they are NOT automatic rifles. It's also the most popular rifle platform in the country.

Quote:
These are weapons of war.
No they're not.

But hey, in your next post, could you be just a little more melodramatic? I don't think you quite nailed it with this post.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:

Here's an AR15 in semi-automatic rapid fire mode. The rate of fire so high it could almost be mistaken for an automatic, but the guy is simply cycling the trigger as fast as he can, and there's barely any recoil. Do you know of any hunting rifle with the ability to fire this rapidly?

AR15 semi-automatic rapid fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxeCukiFNBM

(And notice the huge 60 round extended magazine. Not sure why anyone would need something like that, unless they were going to war, or were planning to take it to school to shoot up their classroom).
Lol, watch this video of someone shooting guns from the 1800's almost as fast and actually hitting their targets for each round they fire.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1BwUJ4--Qw

You are just scared of guns that are black and plastic.

I couldn't fill a cup with your knowledge of firearms. It is the Indian, not the arrow that matters.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The AR-15 is a CIVILIAN weapon, not military, and they are NOT automatic rifles. It's also the most popular rifle platform in the country.

No they're not.

But hey, in your next post, could you be just a little more melodramatic? I don't think you quite nailed it with this post.
I have to agree with the kid. They are weapon of wars. People go to works with pitch forks and bats. Anything that can be used as a weapon is a weapon of wars. :-)

Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
If you have read many of my posts on this forum you would know that I'm a firearms safety instructor and I hold CCW classes. I'm also a handgun competitor in IDPA and USPSA. I own more firearms than the average person and I have several hunting rifles as well as an AR-15. I'm telling you that my .223 hunting rifle and my .223/.556 AR have the same felt recoil.
Felt recoil is determined by three things, the energy of the round being fired, how that rounds energy is bleed off and the weight of the rifle.

The round is the same between a bolt action rifle and and ar15, but the other two parts of felt recoil is different. In an ar15, the gas is used to move the bolt and thus the buffer to compress a spring. The energy it takes to move the bolt and buffer is energy that is not being transferred to the shooter. In a bolt action rifle, their is no movement and that energy is then being transferred directly to the shooter. Also the weight of the guns differ, most people put a bunch of crap on their Ar's bringing the weight up to around 10 pounds, a hunting rifle actually designed for this caliber would easily be less than 6 pounds. The extra mass is harder to move, thus taking more energy and reducing the felt recoil.

This is all just physics. But the biggest factor not listed above is fit. A gun that is ergonomically correct and fits the shooter will be the easiest to shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies